“The only positive was the bed” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Tophams Hotel Belgravia

The Tophams Hotel Belgravia
Ranked #957 of 1,089 Hotels in London
“The only positive was the bed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

On arrival the receptionist looked moody and refused to smile. The reception area is decorated nicely though. The room had mould on the ceiling and cracks down the wall and across the skirting board. The ventilation cover fell off whilst we nipped out - exposing the fact it was held on by blu tac. The cold tap didn't work - it was only hot. I was shocked the room was in such a state seeing as though it cost a couple of hundred to stay and we were in a nice area of London. Atleast the bed was comfy and that's the most important part!

1 Thank Jo M
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
I have recently started at the hotel and we are doing everything we can to ensure that the guest experience is improved at Tophams so it is good to receive your constructive criticism.
We are currently refurbishing a number of rooms at the hotel.
I am very glad you found your bed comfortable.
I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams to demonstrate that things have improved, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future bookings and I will take care of things personally.
Sean H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I booked 3 twin rooms for a business trip staying on 16th May 2014 for 1 night.
The rooms were booked 4 weeks in advance but upon arrival advised the rooms booked were not available - no apology was given.
They substituted for 1 family room with a double bed and 2 single beds and 1 room with a double bed and a childs single bed.
The rooms were not clean.
Curtains were hanging off, tiles cracked in the bathrooms, shower screen didn't fit thus floor flooded when showering.
Location of the actual hotel was fantastic and extremely quiet but the hotel is without a doubt the worst place I have ever stayed and I would not recommend to anyone.

1 Thank Emma C
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
We are currently refurbishing a number of rooms at the hotel.
Unfortunately we had a problem with twin rooms on the night you were staying but at the very least you should have had an apology at reception
Sean H

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was a Mothers Day treat for myself and my hu sband. It was sadly disappointing with poor sandwiches cakes and passable scones. Certainly not value for money, very poor. It was very uncomfortable with the glass roof and no air conditioning. Would not recommend it on any score.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Anthony D
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams to demonstrate that Afternoon Tea has improved, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future bookings and I will take care of things personally.
Dorchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Booked to stay at Tophams whilst in London for a business conference, on arrival there was a very stressed receptionist in a cramped reception area, trying to deal with some Italian guests. She was short and rude to these guests and asked us to sit and wait. We try to check in but they had no details of us, so it took a little longer and we were asked to take a seat in the bar. I heard the Italians arrive back in reception complaining about there rooms.
Eventually we were asked to follow a lady out on to the street and 50 yards down the road through a door into something that can only be described as bedsit land, we ran into the distressed Italians, they showed me there issue. The lady swapped keys with the Italians and took us to the room and offered it to us, I walked straight back to reception and refused to take the room. We were then offered a key and told to try another room. We tried and refused due to substandard bedding, dirty curtains and Nets that were falling off the rails, the toilet cistern was cracked and the flush was broken, the room smelt damp and there were dead flies and other insects in the window ledge.
We returned to reception and were told due to the TS & Cs there is no refund and there was just one more room to try.
It was a huge improvement to the others, but the bed, mattress and pillows are very substandard, the cleanliness left a lot to be desired.
We took the room reluctantly and went out for dinner, on our return we noticed there was no soap we rang reception and were told they'd run out, although they did bring shampoo 11 hours later in the morning.
Continental breakfast consisted of toast, croissant and tinned fruit cocktail.
On check out I asked to see the manager and was told he was not around and I would have to wait.
We complained to the booking agency and emailed photos to them.
This hotel is in no way a 4* hotel maybe 2* if they clean up there act and sort out a lot of issues.
Great location terrible hotel.
I will email the hotel manager to see what they have to say.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Mangetout1
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

The rooms are fairly small, but the location is great.
At breakfast I was expecting to be able to help myself to cereal etc, but was told they'd bring it over, and the selection wasn't great. Felt awkward asking for extra.

Get what you pay for, in London terms anyway

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
I have recently started at the hotel and rest assured we are doing everything we can to ensure that the guest experience is improved at Tophams.
One of the things we have been trying to improve is the breakfast so thank you for your note,we'd have been more than happy to give extra if you'd asked.
I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams to demonstrate that things have improved.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future bookings.
Brampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel is very convenient for Victoria. Sadly that is the only positive.

On checking in the receptionist was less than helpful. She seemed unable to understand that the room had been booked and paid for through an agency.

When I got to my room where I found sash windows, with broken cords and several cracked panes that had been repaired with Sellotape. The inner window didn't close properly. In normal circumstances this wouldn't have been a major problem. However, there was a temporary generator running in the street outside and the noise was intrusive. The ceiling was stained, there was a dubious white mark on one of the cushions, the remote control was a universal type that didn't control all the TV's functions and was missing it's battery cover. The safe battery cover was missing and couldn't be opened.

In the bathroom the toilet flush was held together with Sellotape. The mini soap had a black substance on it's wrapper (mold?). Finally getting the shower to an even, reasonable temperature was difficult although I got there in the end.

For a hotel of this price I think there needs to be significant improvement. The potential is there.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SWP479
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
We are striving hard to maximise the potential at the hotel
I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future bookings.
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We arranged afternoon tea at Tophams as a birthday treat for one of our friends. All I can say is that from the very start the experience was nothing but disappointing.

We arrived to a very surly receptionist who was on the phone on a personal phone call. She clearly had no interest in us as she reluctantly pointed us through to the dining area where afternoon tea was held.

You can tell that someone had attempted to put some effort into making the dining room a stylish environment, however this is spoiled by poor execution and general lack of attention to detail and untidiness – e.g. there was a stack of cleaning materials on show.

The staff are all European with English not being their first language. They all generally have little in the way of personality or the concept of customer service. In fact when we asked one of the waiting staff where the toilet was (a simple request one would have thought), he muttered something indecipherable and asked someone else to help us. I am not sure if this was due to the fact that he couldn’t speak English or simply had no idea how to deal with customers. I generally got the feeling that the front of house staff just did not care.

The service was far from polished, the staff were not proactive, we had to ask for tea, we had to ask for clotted cream, there was no clear order of service and nothing flowed. Our cakes arrived on a cheap cake stand which was wobbly and had not been screwed in properly. In fact one of our party (who is German) commented that it is “typical of when Europeans attempt to do an English afternoon tea and completely miss the point”. Afternoon tea is meant to be a civilised, luxurious and sumptuous experience, sadly I think we would have had a better experience if we had gone to the local greasy spoon. It would certainly have been considerably cheaper.

Other criticisms:
• No choice of jam other than strawberry (one of our party was allergic to strawberries so had to have honey on his scones)
• The canteen area (it pains me to say "dining area" - canteen is a more appropriate term) was incredibly hot
• There were tradesmen coming in and out which certainly did not add to the ambiance
• Toilet seat was off its hinges
• Only one unisex toilet which is inadequate
• The hotel in general is not particularly well maintained with chipped / dirty paint throughout

I do however have one positive and for this I award one point – they had a selection of plain and fruit scones – I personally have an aversion to dried fruit so they got something right.

In summary, this was an incredibly disappointing visit – especially as this was meant to be a special birthday treat. The offer we took advantage of made it sound like it would be a wonderful experience but it did not even come close. My advice – spend a bit more and go to a place that does afternoon tea properly.

I would not recommend the afternoon tea but the level of service is a reflection on the hotel as a whole. If they get something simple like an afternoon tea right then I would have no confidence in their ability to handle full service hotelier functions.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends