“Good location for those sightseeing”

The Tophams Hotel Belgravia
Ranked #948 of 1,068 Hotels in London
North Shields, United Kingdom
“Good location for those sightseeing”
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

On arrival there was a few things not in the room which should of been. After speaking to the reception she apologise for the inconvenience and sent a chap straight up with them. The room was fairly clean and comfortable. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. We went for the queen's garden party which is a 5min walk from the hotel no need to pay for taxi's all attractions within easy walking distance the longest walk for us was the london eye (25mins) would recommend this hotel if we return to London in the future this is where we'll stay. Thanks;-)

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sutton02
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write the lovely review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
We are doing everything we can to ensure that the guest experience is improved at the hotel so it is good to receive your positive comments.
I hope we will have an early opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future bookings.
Sean H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 5 June 2014

very clean and comfortable room, good breakfast, kind staff , all in order...and the location was excellent for going around, near to Victoria station, we have been going to the most important sites we wanted to visit in the easiest way, so I would recommend for a tour of central London, Enjoy !!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marinaci
Thank you for taking the time to write the review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
I hope we will have an early opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams to demonstrate we can do better and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future bookings.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I choose this hotel for a business trip. I liked the location. I was naturally aware of the
poor reviews. I was pleasantly surprised. I arrived early morning and was greeted by
a very professional gentleman. I was tired after a long journey.
I was later informed he was the general manager.
I was offered coffee and a croissant. This was so welcoming and a nice touch.

I was promised my room would be ready as soon as possible, I got my room inside one
hour. This made my day as I could go my meeting all fresh.
I arrived back late evening. I was assigned a room on the third floor.
The only issue was the poor mattress, everything else was good.
I noticed it was freshly painted. This hotel has improved a lot since last year
as a friend had a bad stay.
I would recommend people to give it a try as reviews can be misleading.
Undoubtably, my first impression wowed me.

q

Room Tip: Request a room on third floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bernadette H
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights recently. We booked before reading the terrible reviews, and were understandably a little worried (we booked through a travel site and it was non-refundable). Luckily our experience did not match any of the negative reviews. Our room was small but clean and well-decorated. The staff was pleasant enough, but I don't recommend the breakfast. The "Continental breakfast" was wayyy overpriced (I believe it was included in our room price though) and consisted of toast, corn flakes, and tea/juice. Not really worth it, especially if you are paying. There are plenty of places nearby to get a cheaper/better breakfast.

The only odd/negative thing: I believe the maid stole my deodorant (?!). It wasn't difficult to get more but... that was a little strange, and it meant that someone was poking through my cosmetics bag. Not cool. I didn't bother complaining to the staff, but it's worth noting. If you stay here, lock away your belongings (nothing else of mine went missing). Overall, though, it was a good experience and I recommend this hotel if you can't find a better option.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank juevosverdesyjamon
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
I have taken on board your comments about breakfast and will ensure we try to provide value for money.
I was disturbed to read about your deodorant going missing, we have a stable team in housekeeping that have been with us for many years and we do not get incidents such as this, I will speak to the hotel Head Housekeeper.
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My dad booked this hotel for a special treat for my mother and I as we were making a trip to the Chelsea Flower Show. As it was for a special occasion, he booked the hotel through a reputable local travel agent who recommended the hotel and booked it as part of a Superbreak! They clearly don't do their research. I wish I had looked at Trip Advisor before I went. The hotel has had a very basic cosmetic overhaul but is still damp, cramped and dirty. The overpowering smell of air fresheners as you enter is a clue to what lies behind the cheaply tarted up entrance area. Our "twin" room was a double with a fold up bed. On querying whether we had been sent to the correct room, we were informed that there were no twin rooms at this hotel!! Luckily I didn't mind sharing a bed with my mother but this would not have been acceptable to many travelers and was not what we had booked. The room was like a rabbit warren with clean sheets and filthy carpets.
We had a free afternoon tea as part of our Superbreak and really if it had not been free I would not have paid for it. Very basic sandwiches that has clearly been sitting around before being served plus defrosting Iceland cakes and an ok scone, £19?
Breakfast was similar quality, poor and the breakfast room was so hot even in May that it was virtually unbearable to eat in. Every guest seemed to be in dispute with the staff over whether their breakfast was included. I felt sorry for the young mainly Eastern European staff who were dealing with unhappy guests in their second language.
People should be warned not to stay here. £18 a night would be a reasonable price for this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank emmasM462NP
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
I have recently started at the hotel and we are doing everything we can to ensure that the guest experience is improved at Tophams so it is good to receive your constructive criticism.
We are currently refurbishing a number of rooms at the hotel.
We would welcome an opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams to demonstrate that things have improved, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future bookings and I will take care of things personally.
Sean H

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

East Cowes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our doubleroom - 4ft bed pushed against the corner, polycotton sheets, no mattress cover, heavily stained bedthrow, broken furniture, peeling paint/damp & worse + miserable staff - all that glitters.!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alison E
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

On arrival the receptionist looked moody and refused to smile. The reception area is decorated nicely though. The room had mould on the ceiling and cracks down the wall and across the skirting board. The ventilation cover fell off whilst we nipped out - exposing the fact it was held on by blu tac. The cold tap didn't work - it was only hot. I was shocked the room was in such a state seeing as though it cost a couple of hundred to stay and we were in a nice area of London. Atleast the bed was comfy and that's the most important part!

1 Thank Jo M
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
We are currently refurbishing a number of rooms at the hotel.
I am very glad you found your bed comfortable.
I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams to demonstrate that things have improved, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future bookings and I will take care of things personally.