“No Worth the money, rude and dishonnest”

The Tophams Hotel Belgravia
Ranked #949 of 1,069 Hotels in London
“No Worth the money, rude and dishonnest”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed there on the 06/05/2014 for one night and I am so glad I did not have to stay any longer.
I paid for continental breakfast ( £15.95 ), an expansive one at that price. The waitress asked what would I like for breakfast, hard boiled egg, fruit salad or ham an cheese.

I asked for ham and cheese and was absolutely godsmacked when the waitress put a single slice of cheddar and a single slice of the cheapest ham there could be. The square slice of ham would not be given to an animal by any decent person. I cannot believe at the price this hotel charge that they cannot provide quality food.

When checking out I was asked if I used the mini bar which I had. I was again astonished at the price. 3 cans of soft drinks and a kitkat £14. You could say I did not have to use the mini bar but having worked late that night I didnt fancy going shopping. I pointed to the receptionist that the price was steep and no price list was in my bedroom as if I had seen the prices I would not have bothered. The receptionist did not offer any apologies for the lack of price list and frankly could not care.

If you are going to stay in a London hotel I would avoid at all cost.

Room Tip: Avoid like the plague
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write the review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
I was very disappointed to read your comments, breakfast was not up to the standard it should have been and there should have been a price list for the mini-bar in your room.
We are doing everything we can to ensure that the guest experience is improved at the hotel.
I hope we will have an early opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams to demonstrate we can do better and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future bookings.
Sean H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

we arrived thinking that the hotel was going to be wonderful, but looks can be very deceiving. the Chinese lady (receptionist) didn`t give us the impression that we were welcome. We had booked through Expedia and was told by the lady that we were to have continental breakfast, she was told that we had booked "full English breakfast" and that I had the paperwork to prove it, she said that the contract had changed with Expedia but I stuck to my guns. The room that we were given was next to the lift, it was hardly any daylight in the room. The safe was bolted to the floor, we had to be or knees to get to this but there was no combination, we had to get a "key" from the reception desk. The bathroom looked clean, until we looked closer, there were loose tiles on the floor, the shower head was covered in limescale as was the bath drain, the towels were dirty. I cut my finger on the "handle" of the dressing table. We were wakened at 1.50 in the morning with females running along the corridor outside, it felt like we were in a school dormitory. But to top all this off was the locking of the bedroom door. When we left the room, we closed the door and as usual we always try the handle just to make sure it is locked, but NO the door opened again, after trying a few things we managed to get the door locked and we left for some sightseeing. When we came back to the room, someone had been in the room as the door was NOT secure. I did report this to the housekeeper, but she told me(in broken English) that the door was fine, I argued the point that it wasn`t and eventually we got the door to lock, the next day the same thing happened. Bottom line, at no point did we feel secure in this hotel and would never return again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
I was very disappointed to read your comments and you did not have the experience you should have had. We failed you on many many levels.
Sean H

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Hong Kong
Reviewed 6 June 2014

the rooms are very run down
the receptionist woman (CHINA ORIGIN) is RUDE, questioning our every move! I thought I found myself in a a triad's household being questioned!
what's in your luggage
where are you going
breakfast - hotel is obviously maximising cost and lowering the quality = result POOR QUALITY breakfast
overall horrible experience and NEVER EVER again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
I was very disappointed to read your comments I have spoken to the receptionist you mentioned in your report and reminded her that the highest standard of care and attention is expected at the hotel
We are doing everything we can to ensure that the guest experience is improved at the hotel so it is good to receive your positive comments.
North Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

On arrival there was a few things not in the room which should of been. After speaking to the reception she apologise for the inconvenience and sent a chap straight up with them. The room was fairly clean and comfortable. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. We went for the queen's garden party which is a 5min walk from the hotel no need to pay for taxi's all attractions within easy walking distance the longest walk for us was the london eye (25mins) would recommend this hotel if we return to London in the future this is where we'll stay. Thanks;-)

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sutton02
Thank you for taking the time to write the lovely review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
I hope we will have an early opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future bookings.
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 5 June 2014

very clean and comfortable room, good breakfast, kind staff , all in order...and the location was excellent for going around, near to Victoria station, we have been going to the most important sites we wanted to visit in the easiest way, so I would recommend for a tour of central London, Enjoy !!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marinaci
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I choose this hotel for a business trip. I liked the location. I was naturally aware of the
poor reviews. I was pleasantly surprised. I arrived early morning and was greeted by
a very professional gentleman. I was tired after a long journey.
I was later informed he was the general manager.
I was offered coffee and a croissant. This was so welcoming and a nice touch.

I was promised my room would be ready as soon as possible, I got my room inside one
hour. This made my day as I could go my meeting all fresh.
I arrived back late evening. I was assigned a room on the third floor.
The only issue was the poor mattress, everything else was good.
I noticed it was freshly painted. This hotel has improved a lot since last year
as a friend had a bad stay.
I would recommend people to give it a try as reviews can be misleading.
Undoubtably, my first impression wowed me.

q

Room Tip: Request a room on third floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bernadette H
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights recently. We booked before reading the terrible reviews, and were understandably a little worried (we booked through a travel site and it was non-refundable). Luckily our experience did not match any of the negative reviews. Our room was small but clean and well-decorated. The staff was pleasant enough, but I don't recommend the breakfast. The "Continental breakfast" was wayyy overpriced (I believe it was included in our room price though) and consisted of toast, corn flakes, and tea/juice. Not really worth it, especially if you are paying. There are plenty of places nearby to get a cheaper/better breakfast.

The only odd/negative thing: I believe the maid stole my deodorant (?!). It wasn't difficult to get more but... that was a little strange, and it meant that someone was poking through my cosmetics bag. Not cool. I didn't bother complaining to the staff, but it's worth noting. If you stay here, lock away your belongings (nothing else of mine went missing). Overall, though, it was a good experience and I recommend this hotel if you can't find a better option.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank juevosverdesyjamon
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
I have taken on board your comments about breakfast and will ensure we try to provide value for money.
I was disturbed to read about your deodorant going missing, we have a stable team in housekeeping that have been with us for many years and we do not get incidents such as this, I will speak to the hotel Head Housekeeper.