“Truly awful”

Ranked #951 of 1,067 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Truly awful”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed here last year for 4 months while waiting for my insurance company to fix my flat which had burned down. The reception staff were VERY rude. Cleaners would come in hit and miss - maybe 3 times a week. They would not replenish things, so often had nothing to shower with so had to go and buy stuff.
They didn't tell me that breakfast was included, so was only one month in when found out after I had a phone call with insurance company. TV didn't work, complained a few times, but in the end stopped asking as I didn't want to have any sort of conversation with the reception staff. The worst thing was the rudeness.
On an upnote, there was/is a very lovely waitress who I saw most days when I went to have breakfast. She was very kind to me during a difficult time, and also just round the corner from Victoria station. But I strongly urge you find a nice place instead of here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The room I had was lovely, quiet and tastefully decorated. The foyer and staff were very friendly and helpful and the location is second to none. The downside being that there is no restaurant in the Hotel but plenty of places locally to dine and the breakfast is nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: Do not accept a mews room, ask one one on the upper levels
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank John T
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write the lovely review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
We are doing everything we can to ensure that the guest experience is improved at the hotel so it is good to receive your positive comments.
I hope we will have an early opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future bookings.
Regards
Sean H
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was in London from May 30 thru June 4 in a Lovely Hotel named Tophams in Belgravia,
Best Location, 1 block from the Victoria Train Station & Big Bus.

Great Staff, Very Personable, Charming Accommodation.

Thank You.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the 3rd Floor facing main street.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank kathyfong633
Regards
Sean H
Towson, Maryland
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This place had good and bad points. I was traveling with teenaged daughter. We booked a room with two twin beds and were told when we arrived that none were available. We could "upgrade" to one queen bed or they could offer us a room with a double and a cot. Since I was traveling with a teenager I could get her to accept the cot but if I was with a paying friend, neither would have been acceptable. As it was, it was a toss up as to which of us got the worst bed. The basement room was noisy, right outside of the management office and we could hear phone calls and staff conversations. We could also hear our neighbors talking to one another late at night and the footsteps above. Breakfast was included and was ok. They held our luggage after check out, which was very nice but otherwise staff was inconsistent as to their level of helpfulness. When we asked that they call a cab for Paddington station we were told the cabs were too busy to come (a Saturday around 1 pm). Luckily Victoria station was a short walk and we found plenty of cabs there with no line at the cab stand.
On the plus side, the hotel is close to Buckingham Palace and Victoria Station, it is a quiet neighborhood, offers fantastic free wifi, and our room had a very nice shower and a luxurious tub.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Zuzu062

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Wifi coverage in room 1 is poor to nonexistent. I had to tape the shower head to prevent it sliding down to the bottom of the pole. The milk, coffee and bathroom complimentary items were not replenished, there was no bath plug, a cracked tile in the bathroom floor, glass panel did fit to top of bath correctly so when showering you also flooded the floor, air conditioning that would not go lower than 19 degrees and the air flow was pathetic so room felt hot most of the time. Items in the mini bar (very expensive so did not have them) were out of date. The remote for the TV does not allow you to change programmes or volume. We were given milk in a cup and a porter gave us some body lotion when we asked for shower gel!

Never warrants a 4 star

Location is good however for Victoria coach and railway stations

Room Tip: Room 1 is dingy, no view from the 2 windows unless you like looking at fire escapes.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank A T
Attard, Malta
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Few words can describe the state of this place. Upon arrival we were ushered to another place due to overbooking, which was very good (the colonnade). Arriving back on the 2nd day, we were given 2 rooms, a basement room without a small wardrobe - just a hanger attached to the bathroom door. Some switches did not work, so had to sleep with the bathroom lights on. The place was not clean, furniture mostly broken and rundown. Was told that the wifi password is beneath the phone, only there was no phone in the room. Then I realized I was the lucky one, my colleague was given ROOM 3. Capital letters intended. Room 3 has a toilet fitted beneath the stairs, and Frodo would find it difficult to sit and do his business. the door did not lock either. However you had to go back to the room to wash your hands, sorry forgot to mention that toilet was in the corridor not ensuite. The shower was meant for children and small people, and the wash basin - well decide which hand you want to wash first. We had to insist several times to get a new room, which we did and the new rooms were slightly better, but still rather shabby. mine was on the top floor, and the bathroom window could neither open nor close.
Breakfast - not cheap and BTW continental does not include a yoghurt - you have to pay extra. Ham and cheese, means one slice of ham and one slice of cheese.
The manager might reply that I was harsh - but he should really take the opportunity and review the operation from a clients perspective. Surely I will not recommend anyone I know to stay at this place, maybe only someone I really dislike :)

Room Tip: choose another place, a hostel would be better.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Sandro1933
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 13 June 2014

As it is a 4 star hotel, and me being used to 4 stars hotels in Spain, I was expecting a lot more. In terms of quality it's like a 1 star or 2 star hotel, the floor makes strange noises and it is not flat in a lot of parts (if not all...)
The Flat TV was small and of acceptable quality but as it's on the wall, the HDMI port is not reachable so useless for the guest.
The bed was nice but there was no mirror, and no hairdryer....
A positive thing is that there were a lot of drawers to put things inside and 3 electric plugs.
The rooms were quite clean except for the courtains.
The Individual room's bathroom is outside the room and the shower was good but if you are a tall person like me it's going to feel like being in a box, bumping all around you...
The air conditiioning worked well so that was nice.

Room Tip: Don't get the Family Suite... it is a two floor duplex but the second floor is like a Hobbit hou...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business