“What a nice hotel ✨”

Ranked #958 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Paris
“What a nice hotel ✨”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had a very good stay i did enjoy it but the only problem its that GM guy he got a bad attitude and no respect for his guests, and thx to the assistant manager lady she was always ready to help with a smile and the restaurant girls, was a good hotel with a good location , merci bien et à la prochaine fois.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Edward19703

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Geneva
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Bad welcome at reception, sordid room in a separate building to the main hotel, no amenities and rated 4*? Really? I am a Brit living abroad and felt ashamed to know that tourists coming to visit London would go through the experience I had there a few weeks ago. As a woman travelling alone, I felt unsafe and very angry to have to put up with such poor service in the UK. please do NOT book a room here!

Stayed July 2014

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I will say differently ignore the bad reviews, lovely hotel, staff are so nice, especially Rosie and Sarah who always have a smile on their faces and where helpful at all times, breakfast was lovely and the girls in the restaurant are every pleasant. I would say the Hotel needs a bit more improvements, once this is done it would be a fantastic Hotel. Will differently come back..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HONEYB536
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Hi,

This was the worst hotel experience that I have had in London; first and the last time that we use this hotel, I would not recommentd anyone to stay there.

I travel to London for business several times durning the year and tend to stay in hotels near Victoria Station, we decided to try the Tophams as we had walked pass it before and it looked nice from outside; it turned out to be a huge mistake.

A colleage from work and I arrived at the hotel around 11:00 am; we had each booked and paid over a month in advance for a double room with bathroom, it was too early to check-in, so we left our bags, went for a few meetings and came back at 4:30 pm. When we arrived the hotel staff took a £50 each security deposit and took us to see the rooms to choose from... the first set of rooms look more like a dorm room with a tiny bathroom to be shared, and the second option was a bigger family room for the two of us to share with a bed upstairs. Obviously we were not impressed and ask for what we had paid for, but they were fully booked and said that did not have more rooms available.

Then they offered to send us to another hotel with more rooms available, we understand that mistakes can happen and accepted, so we were sent in a taxi to another hotel that I won't name as I'm not 100% sure if it is the same management. We arrived in the other hotel to find out that they only had one room with two single beds and a sofa bed that we could take. We found disgusting that they would do that to us, when we had been understanding. We didn't accept the offer and asked them to speak with the manager of the Topham, and to say that we wanted our money back, that we would try to find another hotel. The manager of the Tophams mentioned that they have found us individual rooms with bathrooms, so we went back again.

Back in the Tophams they took us to a sister property 50 meters away from the Tophams called Eaton Square Hotel, the rooms that they had for us were disgusting tiny single rooms with extremely small bathrooms that were also disgusting, one of the bedrooms toilet was outside the room, there was no wi-fi, no telephone, the TV was not working, there wasn't a pillow in one of the rooms, so had to request separately.

By this time it was after 7 pm and we had a dinner meeting that we had schedules, so we had no choice but take what we were given. Definetly not what we had been sold at the booking when we paid almost 200 pounds each in advance.

Also needs to be said that there was quite a few people apart from us, experiencing the same problem on the same day; they seem to be over selling their rooms and almost forcing you to take rooms that are not really what you pay for; we will try to get some of our money back, but let's see how it goes. If we do, I will update this review.

Thanks,

Room Tip: Just find a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Antonio F
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel is located in a lovely old building and the structure and layout has plenty of character. It's ideally located just round the corner from Victoria station and a good choice of restaurants, but those are the best bits. The room was clean but definitely past it's best, every piece of furniture was chipped, half of the drawers didn't have handles or any way to open them, the walls had dents in the plaster in places and the lampshades looked like they'd bounced around the floor a few times. I tried to call down to reception for coat hangers as there were none, but the phone didn't work. I could go on, it's a shame, because if everything was maintained and finishing touches applied, the room I had would be a very nice room. In general though, for a one night stay in London this was sufficient.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jewell120
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write they review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
We are doing everything we can to ensure that the guest experience is improved at the hotel so it is good to receive your comments.
We are making our way through all rooms and currently have an on going programme improve the details in all rooms.
I hope we will have an early opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future bookings.
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I read the previous reviews but still booked and I accept that the 4 star rating seems 'generous', but for the price I paid I've had a lot, lot worse in London. I've also seen the horror stories about the rooms in the basement with no windows and bare light bulbs hanging from the ceiling, but I simply asked for a room on the first or second floor and the woman at reception was happy to provide one. I accept that I probably got away from work early enough to still have a choice (about 7pm at the hotel). The room itself was large (i.e. I could stand in the middle of the room and hold my arms out and not touch the walls). And the bathroom was a proper room, not a converted cupboard. My experience of the quality of hotels in London is so poor that I actually thought I'd probably go back to this one, though I'd hesitate to recommend it or describe it as good to anyone that has stayed in a hotel anywhere else on the planet. But for London, it's a winner.

Room Tip: Ask for room on 1st or 2nd floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Rob E
Thank you for taking the time to write the nice review about the hotel on Tripadvisor and I am glad you enjoyed your stay.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Got a voucher to have a discounted afternoon tea. The welcome was lovely and the venue was nice. The afternoon tea was average, scones we're dry, and they were over generous with the butter in the sandwiches. I was with great company so we enjoyed ourselves. The best thing is that we were not rushed and took our time to enjoy the ambiance.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank RockingJenny
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor for us.
We are delighted you enjoyed the ambience and I have taken on board what you said about the sandwiches and scones.
I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams.