“A good, quiet location”

Ranked #536 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Bedford, United Kingdom
“A good, quiet location”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed here for one night, meeting up with friends who had stayed for a longer visit and who found it an ideal location. It is ideally located for St Pancras station and the Eurostar and is in a quiet road. My single bedroom, up one flight of stairs was a good size for a single room and was spotlessly clean. The shower was very small but there was plenty of hot water. The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast, though not special was well prepared and served in a pleasant dining room. I would happily use this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Barbara V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed here for three nights in June 2013. After schlepping my bag up three flights of stairs, I found my single room to be clean but extremely tiny, even by European standards. I barely had space on the floor for my suitcase. The bathroom was likewise clean but quite small.

On the plus side, this hotel is in a great location, near lots of restaurants and several tube stations. And the free breakfast (a full English breakfast with toast, eggs, meat, beans and veggies) is a great deal.

I would have considered staying here again (and would have given this hotel a higher rating) if not for the terrible customer service. I had to do some work while traveling, so I needed wireless Internet access. I confirmed the availability of wifi when I booked the room and again when I checked in. It worked well for one day. But on the second day, the connection that served the upper floors simply vanished. When I called down to ask the front desk about it, the clerk essentially told me that it wasn't her problem, and that she didn't see what I was complaining about because the hotel didn't charge extra for Internet access. When I asked about it again the next morning, the clerk simply told me she had no idea when the problem would be fixed.

To make a long story short, the Internet still wasn't fixed by the time I checked out on the third day, which was an enormous inconvenience for me. Not once did anyone apologize, try to explain the problem or give me a timeline for when the problem would be resolved. That's bad customer service, plain and simple.

1 Thank ashley627
Harlingford, Manager at Harlingford Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
If anyone out there, a person, a company, an institution or other, that has internet connected and who has NEVER had this service interrupted, disconnected, lost power etc and not known the reason or knew WHEN services will resume please contact me I would really like to know your provider!
When this happens in the hotel - not so frequent - the receptionist ALWAYS takes a laptop to whatever floor, checks for broadband speed etc, checks router is working, power etc. If still a problem the provider company is called and asked to check their end. ALL this happened but this time they fault lay with a BT telephone line being cut by an engineer and wasn't fixed for 2 days. Why? because the engineer screwed up and we didn't get told until later.
However, we have TWO lines with internet connection, one was disrupted but the other worked fine and was accessible in the very comfortable lounge or ground floor area, Unfortunately THIS was not acceptable to to THIS guest, so how important was her work?
Sadly this guest appeared not to understand any of this even after it was explained to her several times, and, in my opinion became too childish to know when NOT to throw a tantrum and far too mean and ready to point the finger and blame someone, even a very nice person trying to help!
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I stayed here because I was in London to tour Dickens-related sites, and this Bloomsbury location was perfect. The hotel’s Cartwright Gardens location, in the midst of academic London, is quiet and safe. It’s also near the British Museum and two underground stations that provide great access to everywhere. Russell Square station, less than 10 minutes away on foot, is on the Piccadilly line, less than an hour from Heathrow (not via the express, but it’s an easy, cheaper ride, and you can use your Oyster Card). King’s Cross/St. Pancras station, about 12 minutes away on foot, is a stop on virtually all the major lines.

As a solo traveler, I booked a single room. It was on the 3rd floor and, while there are no lifts, it’s not as bad as it sounds. I’m in my 60s and it was never a problem, even after a long day of walking. My single room was extremely compact—really an oversized walk-in closet. Someone of above-average height and/or weight might find it confining, but it was fine for me. In fact, I was really impressed with the modernized room’s ergonomic design; someone put some serious thought into placement of lights, switches, shelves, and utilities (TV, tea/coffee set-up). The room was also very clean and tastefully decorated, from the pretty tiled bathroom to the room furnishings/accessories. And though I used my mobile phone for calls home, the hotel advertises low rates to the US with no hotel mark-up.

My only complaint is that the all-in-one bedcover was too warm, even though it was an unusually chilly June week. I ended up flipping it down the end of the bed and using the decorative cover as a light blanket. I didn’t open the window because there are no screens in the window and, since I’m a light sleeper, the noise would have wakened me (yes, this is a quiet neighborhood, but it is a city after all). In really warm weather (if such exists in London) you’d have to open the window, though. Plus there’s a small fan in the cabinet.

Reception is cordial yet businesslike. The breakfast/housekeeping staff, all filipinos, are warm and friendly. And the hearty English breakfast is very good. The coffee, served in individual coffee presses, is hot and strong; for me, at least, it needed a lot of milk. It’s the same as in France, with one major difference: in France, the milk is hot. By the time I’d added enough cold milk to my coffee, the end product was lukewarm.

For nearby places to dine, I recommend North Sea Fish on Leigh St., a few steps away from the hotel’s front door, and Mabel’s Tavern, on Mabledon Place just past the opposite edge of Cartwright Gardens. And if you happen to miss breakfast at the hotel and want something quick, or are looking for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up, go to the Fork patisserie and deli on Marchmont St. It’s also where you can pick up some jars of lovely artisanal London Preserves (including authentically bitter Seville marmalade) – but if you want to take some home, do NOT (as I discovered) put it in your carry-on bag; it’s a “gel” and will be disallowed.

I've written separate reviews of all three places.

Finally, if you happen to be in Russell Square in early to mid afternoon and want some take-out Thai to eat in the park, go to the cab shelter, a nondescript-looking green shed on the eastern corner of the square. Only cabbies are allowed to eat in, but anyone can go up to the window and do take-out. There used to be many such cab shelters in London but now there are only 14. This is the only one that serves Thai food.

Overall I would give an enthusiastic thumbs-up to the Harlingford for location and value, and would be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that there's no lift. Don't book a single room if you are of larger-than-normal...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I have stayed here occasionally, usually for one or two nights on my way to Europe. It's 10 mins from St Pancras and handy for the Eurostar. The rooms are fairly small but clean .En-suite showers do not have a flexible hose which I prefer. The hotel is in Cartwright Gardens 6 mins from Russel Sq. tube station. The lounge is comfortable and there is an excellent breakfast .
The only critical comment I would make is that the staircase needs a lick of paint .
If you have a heavy suitcase ask for a room on the first floor as there is no lift.
The price is fair considering that this is central London

1 Thank Roy D
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This was a first time trip for our family of teens to London, and the Harlingford served as a very pleasant home-base. The Family Room was actually more spacious than what we expected from the photo, with plenty of area for our luggage. It was well-designed and pleasant to be in. We enjoyed the lounge area, and the breakfasts were excellent, especially the salmon and egg.
We felt safe, but part of London. Easy to get to public transport.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jane P
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed at the Harlingford for one night. We knew in advance that rooms would not be big but when you only need to stay for one night you don't need a huge room. It had everything we needed - it was clean, freshly decorated by the looks of things and was very comfortable. Our room was on the first floor overlookuing the road but there was no traffic noise and the only disturbance was from the inconsiderate people in the next room who decided to have a loud and prolonged conversation from 6 in the morning until at least 8.
Breakfast was really good with an excellent choice and friendly service.
We will definitely book again when we need a night in London - the hotel is only about 5 minutes walk from Euston and 10 minutes from St Pancras and Kings Cross.
It is a shame when others are so damning about the hotel - it is a very good, family run and independent hotel and we have no complaints.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This hotel has the feel of a dingy youth hostel. The rooms are tiny, shabby, and uncomfortable. The staff treat the hotel guests with suspicion and hostility. If you stay here for more than one night, you'll find yourself wishing to be somewhere cleaner, friendlier, and with a place to sit down.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank samnoho
Harlingford, Manager at Harlingford Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
This is such a strange review and so bizarre it should have raised a red flag when being presented. It seems hell hath no fury and the truth is expendable when someone is caught trying to defraud a hotel.
It has been fabricated by someone who wants to harm the hotel but not tell WHY there was suspicion by the staff, there is a reason for this so here is the truth..
The guest in question stayed 4 days last week but on the first night had her bag stolen at a restaurant, with the help of the hotel staff the police were contacted and every effort made to help her, even giving the police breakfast - no doughnuts though! - when they came to interview her. We also gave a new set of keys for free, normally if a guest loses a set of keys we have to charge for replacement as they are security keys and expensive to have made, but we were sympathetic. For 3 days she went out to restaurants, shopping, sightseeing etc but at the end of her stay when asked to pay for the small amount of telephone charges of approx 15 dollars she refused, citing no money, her bag had been stolen and she was so poor, when asked why she couldn't get some money off her 2 friends or use her Amex card, or why not call to get a replacement - a few weeks before a man had his wallet stolen on the tube, next day he had a replacement delivered to the hotel by UPS - but multiple excuses were given. Her lips moved but not an iota of truth came out, it was clear to the staff that she was determined not to pay her bill. So YES there was suspicion that a deception was taking place and that this person was dishonestly trying to avoid a legitimate charge.