“Very satisfactory - with one reservation (so to speak!)”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Harlingford Hotel

Harlingford Hotel
Ranked #554 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Yorkshire
“Very satisfactory - with one reservation (so to speak!)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

I have stayed at a number of the hotels in this very conveniently located Georgian Crescent over the past few years, and this is definitely one of the best of them, in my opinion. There is just one feature of the hotel to which detracted from my stay, and that was the insistence that I had to pay for my entire stay on arrival. In fairness to the hotel, guests are informed that this is the hotel's practice, so it doesn't come as a surprise when you check in, but it still slightly spoilt my stay. I tend to stay in several hotels every year, both in Britain and overseas, and, in my experience this practice is most unusual. Moreover, given that you have to give the hotel your bank card number when you book, as is the fairly universal custom nowadays, I wouldn't have thought that the hotel would lose out financially in the event of guests not paying their bills on departure.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Pantile

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

We booked the Harlingford for a long weekend in November, our annual shopping trip and a West end show. So glad we choose a family run Hotel, a warm welcome, room good, staff helpful and the best English breakfast I have had in a hotel for a long time. A charming Hotel we would recommend to any visitor to London. Will be booking again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank alex m
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

We have been staying in Cartwright Gdns for decades, favouring Jenkins for its warm welcome. We were shocked by the change when its owners sold to the Judd, and the on-line photos do not make a favourable impression. The Harlingford is where we have moved our allegiance to. We prefer twin rooms, as the double beds leave too little space round them. Storage space can also be a bit limited. I do not understand the carping reviews, as I have always found the level of service personal. I do miss the in-room fridges Jenkins used to provide, but staff are only to happy to store items in the kitchen fridge. The hotel could not be more convenient, and Bloomsbury still has a community feel.

Room Tip: If you have a problem with noise, ask for a room away from the pub. If you visit in the winter and...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marina d
Indianapolis, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stayed at the Halingford for several days in the middle of the summer. Although there was no A/C, fans were provided, which is not always the case at hotels this age, and was definitely appreciated. The rooms are of a very practical size - we were on vacation, so we didn't spend much time in the room, but we never felt cramped. The decorations are stylish and the room was very clean. We couldn't get wifi outside of the common areas, but, again, I find this is typical and not much of a nuisance. The location is great; there are a lot of good pubs and coffee shops nearby as well as Russel Square, St. Pancras, and Euston Tube stations. This was especially nice as we could not only take the tube anywhere in London, but we were able to walk to station to take the Eurostar to Paris for the day. If you are looking for a hotel with character in a convenient location, this is a good choice.

Room Tip: Request a room off the lowest floor to avoid Tube noise. I would've rather carried my bags up a...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FarmerGrrl
Riga, Latvia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed at the Harlingford in October. I was travelling alone, and booked a single room for four days. The place was really nice. The room was quite small but very comfortable, very clean. The hotel is in a very good location, close to underground stations. Although, my room was facing the street, I had a good night sleep. The full English breakfast was great. The reception staff was helpful, and breakfast staff was friendly. I am planning to go to London again in February and I have already made the reservation for that time at the Harlingford.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

This year, we stayed at the Harlingford Hotel on three occasions during June and July
We have stayed at the Harlingford on numerous occasions in the past when travelling to London from New Zealand, and have always considered the hotel to be reasonable value and a great location. Until now, we have chosen to overlook the lumpy hard beds, the noisiness at night from the student accommodation and pub close by, and the indifferent and unfriendly staff, because the location is so good, and the room rates are reasonable.
We recently booked several nights for our next visit to London in 9 months time and we have always, as per the hotel’s terms and conditions, paid in full, in advance at the time of check in. As usual, when the rooms were booked, we received an email stating several times that payment is expected in full upon check in.
We were very surprised when the hotel, without our knowledge or approval, charged 50% of our room rate as a non-refundable deposit to our credit card.
When this was queried with the hotel, we got an arrogant, patronizing, and unprofessional response along with the hotel cancelling our booking. The emails we received were so rude – eg “Though I have to say here how strange it is to get so uptight over a payment that would have to be paid anyway. Is it because of the interest you would earn if you kept it in the bank? A matter of a few pennies at most. Strange.”
We are very disappointed that the hotel thinks so little of our regular and loyal patronage that they would treat us like this.
The Hotel Manager, in responses to other customer complaints on this and other sites has adopted an attitude of aggression or suggestions of impropriety or fraud against people complaining about the hotel’s performance.
I am sure he will respond in kind to this complaint, however, should anyone wish to view the full content of the email communications between the hotel and ourselves, please contact me via email at joy.gary.browne@xtra.co.nz and I will be happy to oblige.
There are other superior hotels nearby at a similar price with management who believe in friendliness and service as a requisite to managing a good hotel business – I strongly recommend you use them.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms not on the top floor - the access stairs are very steep and narrow.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank joybAuckland
Harlingford, Manager at Harlingford Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
A more explicit review by these same people was removed by TripAdvisor, by Google and by Timeout as inappropriate. The posting clearly breached their guidelines because I was able to prove that everything these people had written was not only blatantly false, malicious and libellous, but solely made up to be a personal and vindictive attack on me for one simple reason, I refused to accept their booking due to an abusive phone call my receptionist received from their highly unprofessional agent..
If protecting my staff from aggession is a crime then I am guilty.
I hope that these people show all the emails - including the one which used threatening and extortionate language - and not just selective ones whilst being aware that a bit of cut, copy and paste with emails is possible.
As I previously stated, we had no problem with these people on their many visits and I personally spoke to them on each occassion, though i cannot recall being told I was rude- or my staff - that beds were lumpy, that it was noisy etc.
If all of these things were true, WHY would they want to come here AND be so aggressive when they found out they had been refused?
Their logic is baffling.
The whole problem started with their travel agent Anna, we told her that as the booking had changed to a multiple booking - not a normal simple one - that our standard procedure was to take a 50% deposit the rest payable on arrival.
This was also neccessary as the credit card given was to expire a few months prior to arrival and therefore not valid to guarantee the reservations.
We received an email from her with sentence ' use this card as deposit' which we duly did and charged. And we explained this.
In the late evening a very irate Anna called, became abusive and threatening to the receptionist demanding that it must be returned immediately and that she never meant us to take it.
Obviously a discussion had taken place with the Browne's and everything had changed.
Of course I immediately refunded the card for the full amount but also, due to the phone call, I cancelled the whole booking.
Sadly, some people cannot take rejection easily and a kind of irrationality takes over, which is very disappointing and they have my fullest sympathy.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights in late September/early October. Location is good, near the Russell St. tube station, St. Pancras station, and within easy walking distance to the British Museum. As another reviewer has said, there are many pubs, restaurants and stores nearby. Unfortunately, we had room #12, which is on the corner of the hotel at Cartwright and Tavistock. Just around the corner is a VERY busy pub, open to 3 am. Across the street on Marchmont are multiple student housing facilities. People seemed to congregate on our corner. Because of the people noise throughout the night, we didn't even notice the rumble of the tube. It was noisy even with the windows closed. The room was tiny, although it did have two armchairs. The armoire was large enough to hold our clothes and suitcases, but not our totes. Bed was adequate, but because one side was up against the wall, if I had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I had to scooch my way down the bed, waking my husband of course. By the end of our stay I was ready for a change. The bath was adequate, although the glass door on the tub/shower leaked. Had to ask for an extra hand towel each day as they do not have bath mats. Provided two packages of biscuits with coffee/tea making on the first day, but not afterwards. Borrowed forks for a purchased salad, desk clerk wrote down our room #---as if I would steal the silverware! Maybe that has been a problem before. Front desk clerks ran the gamut from friendly to cold. In order to close your door, you had to BANG it shut, no way around that----we knew when our neighbors were coming and going, as they did us. Added to the noise. Breakfast was good, serving staff was very attentive and friendly. It included French-pressed coffee, choice of toast and egg preparation, bacon (American style), sausage, etc. The Continental offerings included yogurt, fresh fruit, hard-boiled eggs, croissants, etc. I do not think I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the street.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Meridoc
Harlingford, Manager at Harlingford Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Well, what can I say except LONDON! LONDON! l LONDON! Noisy nights at the pub around the corner are few and far between as they can only get a license to 3am for special occasions or functions, normally they close at 11pm.
As these guests chose to be at the front of the hotel, specifically asking for views of the garden then it's possible to anticipate some street noise in the most exciting, cosmopolitan and popular city in the world .
However, we are sorry these guests were not happy with the location of their room and if they had asked for a room change it certainly would have been done if at all possible.
We have a policy in the Harlingford that we will never knowingly put some in an unsuitable room. But when guests request a specific location or floor to be on then we do our best to accommodate them, if they want the front overlooking the gardens, or a quiet room at the back, yes we will. If we cannot find the right room we will OFFER an alternative and ask if this is acceptable.
The choice is always there.