“Really convenient” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #547 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Rockville, Maryland
“Really convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

The Harlingford is a 5 minute walk from Russell Square metro on the Picadilly Line that runs straight into the city from Heathrow (about an hour ride). If you can navigate steps with your luggage, then this is really a good place to stay. My room was small and on the hot side, but I didn't mind. It was perfectly adequate, quiet and clean. I'm not sure if they have rooms with A/C, but if this is a concern during summer travel, then it's worth inquiring. The neighborhood is lovely to walk around and has plenty of restaurants and pubs.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed here this week to take my final university exams at LSE, I presumed there would be wifi so I could get my work done for the week. I went down to reception to let them know I was struggling to get a connection; to which a lady on reception called Liga bluntly said that wifi is only advertised as "complimentary". For £88 a night I expect a hotel with basic wifi - not good enough, and the poor attitude and service amplified this.

Only positive was friendly kitchen staff and a nice breakfast in the morning - but if you're travelling on business and planning on doing work, I certainly wouldn't recommend this place. Nor interacting with Liga.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Jcub101
Harlingford, Manager at Harlingford Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Well, this is rather a spiteful review!
A short but petulant rant by an angry young man that should have been taught better by his parents, against a girl who tried to help him but whose sole crime seems to be she told him the truth.
When he informed the receptionist that he could not acquire Wi-Fi in his room she immediately went to the 2nd floor and rebooted the router (we have routers on all floors). She then showed him that her mobile was receiving a full signal and suggested that it may be his device at fault. She helped him to connect his device to the main router on the ground floor/lounge area.
He became irate and argued that he needed to study for the next 3 days; she offered a quiet area on the ground floor and also said he would get the IT guy to check his device the next day.
This was not good enough for him and he became more and more argumentative, saying 'all hotels he had ever stayed in guaranteed Wi-Fi connection.
She pointed out that we clearly state on our website and on all correspondence to guests that we cannot guarantee a Wi-Fi connection but that what we do provide - which works 99% of the time to all users - is free.
I also spoke to this boy to calm him down and told him exactly the same as my receptionist; that as the Wi-Fi was clearly working then it had to be his device that had a problem. It has happened before and will happen again but we are not responsible for all devices.
Let me unravel this myth once and for all, there is no company - not even Microsoft or Google headquarters - institution, coffee shop or HOTEL that can guarantee an on-demand, uninterrupted or faultless connection to the internet, whether it is paid for - as in most hotels - or for free as in this wonderful hotel..
But from the revue it is clear that this young man has some serious, ongoing and unresolved issues with women and i would suggest to his parents not to let him go to a campus in America.

As a last word, apparently, by naming my innocent receptionist in his rant, this review contravenes TripAdvisor criteria and rules, but still they post it. How come?
Rochester, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Having visited London more than a dozen times, this hotel is far and away my all time favorite. It is not luxurious and it is not "cheap", but the location is perfect, the rooms are always clean and the breakfast is great - and it's included in the room rate. It's served in a charming dining room that overlooks the Crescent and it's everything you could ask for in a breakfast. Eggs are cooked to order plus there is a buffet of yogurt, assorted cheeses, cereals and fresh fruit.The staff is efficient and any need you have is dealt with promptly and courteously. The Bloomsbury location is only a couple of blocks away from the Russell Square tube station and is within walking distance of Euston Station, the British Museum and many shopping areas. There are several good pubs and a terrific Indian restaurant very nearby. Honestly I hesitated to write this review because I fear the Harlingford will become too popular and I won't be able to book a room the next time I need one. But excellence deserves to be recognized and this little hotel is indeed an excellent place to stay while visiting London.

Room Tip: Triple and quad rooms are offered. Some rooms are in what we Yanks call the basement and the room l...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sullington
Billerica, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I visited London for business and prefer B&B style lodging. I've been doing this for years and amazed at the variety of establishments that provide this in London. I stumbled on the Harlingford by accident when another establishment that I had previous used, and contacted about an upcoming visit, did not have any vacancies and referred me to the Harlingford (they have some sort of relationship).
I was a bit worried by other reviews, but believe these must have been isolated bad experiences because I had a wonderful stay. The room was expectedly sized (I only had a single), the service and front desk staff were very accommodating and helpful when I needed, helping me find restaurants (that I chose in the area using TripAdvisor), fixing an internet problem and with my check-in/out experience.
My room was on the 4th floor and the last set of stairs were a bit narrow (and windy), so if that is a concern, mention it when booking.
The breakfast was pretty standard based on my experience providing full English breakfast options as well as a continental array of options. The breakfast staff was very polite and service was attentive. The breakfast area looked adequately sized, though it was always full, so there may be times when you might need to wait a few minutes for seats to open (I never witnessed this however).
The area is full of wonderful restaurants of all cuisines. I recommend The Harrison's (British), The Balfour (Italian) and Cool Chilli (Szechuan), there is also the Gilbert Scott (4 star) for a really special evening if you want, but there are lots of other options that all seemed good.
The location is right in the middle of 3 tube stations (3-4 blocks from all of them) all easy walks, and multiple bus routes. The Euston/St. Pancras rail station is right there which means a quick trip to Paris is only 2+ hours away.
They will definitely be my first call when I have the need to come back.

Room Tip: There will be some construction starting across the street (university is tearing down a student hou...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bandreasen
Hawick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here for a night in a twin room with a friend, hotel only booked 4 days before trip, hotel was lovely and clean, and central to all that we needed to do, and not very far from Euston station which was handy. Only downside was the noise of the underground at night as we were based on the lower ground floor, however this would not put me off returning. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Leaving our luggage there throughout the day until our return for train home later that night was no problem to them at all. Found hotel to be very good value.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my sister in a twin room (room number 1) on the lower ground floor. What a lovely hotel in a great location. The beds were comfortable. The room was spotless. The breakfast was excellent and was way above my expectations. The staff were helpful and friendly. My friends shared a twin room (number 18) and were equally impressed. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed here with my family 35 years ago and the only thing that has changed is the decor. The hotel is typical european; no lift and compact in areas. Our room had 12' ceilings, 2 twin beds and a king, a fireplace, small TV, small closet and small bathroom. Again, typical european (I've never understood why people complain about these things in Europe. That's just the way they are...small.) There is plenty of counter and shelf space for things both in the room and bathroom. The breakfast was important for us. We have 2 young teen boys and they know how to eat. You get a choice of 3 hot cooked breakfasts (menu is on the website) 4 kinds of juice, tea, coffee, toast, fruit, hard boiled eggs, cold and hot cereal, meats and cheeses, croissants, muffins, fresh fruit... the list just keeps going. It's all run by a sweet family. The front desk staff are not warm and fuzzy but they help you with anything and are efficient. We checked in early and left our luggage since our room wasn't ready. We also left our luggage upon check out and walked to the British museum (3 blocks) then retrieved it for the short (12-15 min) walk to St. Pancras. Russell Square is the closest tube stop. We took the 50 min Tube ride from Heathrow Terminal 5. The hotel gives perfect instructions on how to get there from Russell Square. There were lots of people wheeling suitcases around so we didn't feel odd. Bottom line: A great location. Room 14 is superb. Breakfast is fantastic! HIGHLY recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: With few hotels offering one room for a family of 4, this hotel is golden. We stayed in room 14, in...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family