“Way down the list”
Review of Jenkins Hotel

Jenkins Hotel
Ranked #807 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I would have to place the Jenkins Hotel way down the list of UK b&bs I've stayed at - would try to avoid it next time. Admittedly I booked only three days in advance because of a change of plans, and admittedly I'd developed a bad cold on the way, but staying there for a couple of days was a miserable experience. The hotel has an excellent location - a quiet curved street in Bloomsbury, not too far from the British Museum - but I think of it as a system rather than a place for people. Check-in is mid-to-late afternoon (I and others arrived by train earlier in the day and either had to leave luggage in the reception area to make the most of a stay in London, or sit it out for a couple of hours while 'the room [was] being made ready', as I did. This angered other guests arriving after me, and it's true we were wasting precious London time because rooms weren't ready. The slick young man at reception showed me a photo of Hercule Poirot and his friend standing outside The Jenkins which was impressive - until the moment arrived. The hotel is across the street from reception (at The Judd) and one is given outer and inner keys. However, we have to trust that other guests are locking the outside door behind them because there is no reception area or official occupancy at The Jenkins - just guests abandoned in various rooms, and piles of laundry in the corridors (to show that someone on the staff is coming in at times, I suppose). My room (a double booked as a single) was adequate but nothing came from the hot water tap or shower until next morning. For breakfast, you have to brave the cold morning air to cross the street and go into the basement of The Judd, where 'breakfast' has been pre-cooked and placed on tin trays - a tray of sausages, a tray of bacon, a tray of pre--fried eggs. I took an egg (not a meat-eater) and a young woman brought me a rack of toast and a cup of tea. All very army canteen-like, I thought, missing the beautiful individually cooked English breakfasts I'd grown used to across Scotland, in the Lakes District and York - and for a lot less money.
I know the reception man was polite on the first day, but I missed the human touch and concern found almost everywhere else, and didn't trust security at night.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank annie g

Reviewed 9 July 2012

The location of the hotel is hard to beat - being very close to transport hubs it is in a quiet area. There are multiple small hotels in this area and I have stayed before in two others - one of them was definitely close to trains and one could count all trains passing - but Jenkins does not have this issue. For the money one pays it provides a clean bed, WC/shower (very compact but again one should realise where the hotel is and how much one pays), coffee making facilities, good breakfast across the road. There are plans to refurbish the hotel but at this point it is getting this rating for me not because this is the best hotel in London but because it is reasonable for it price, conveniently located and has great staff. When I have to come to this area I will come back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Milena D
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I booked through laterooms and ended up in possibly the worst room I have ever stayed in. Cramped, run down with no indication at the outset that the toilet and showers were on totally different floors. To add insult to injury when I did eventually find the shower in a cupboard upstairs it was cold. When I sought to complain, the manager was never there to talk to. You will be more comfortable in a cardboard box in the park outside.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Jiffykerr
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

Thank you ‘jiffykerr’ for posting a review of our hotel.
It is a shame you didn’t read the small print on your booking confirmation with Laterooms.com as it clearly stated that you booked a ‘basic single’ with bathroom facilities on the landing.
You were stayed for one night and you are correct that the manager wasn’t available to speak in person to you. However, the reception staff did try to assist you to no avail.
I find it hard to fathom that after being compensated by the hotel for you ‘discomfort’ you still feel the need to post a very negative review on TripAdvisor.
May I suggest in future a little more research into the room type you are booking will save an awful lot of disappointment for all involved.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

I agree with most of the reviews on here, although it was adequate because it was a very low price, we paid only £35 per night each with a good breakfast served by very nice and helpful staff. It could do with a good makeover, furniture etc was a bit old as was the telly but, if they did do it up then it would cost a lot more money so I suppose they are keeping it as cheap as possible to keep it filled up. The bathroom, if you can call it that, was similar to those in a caravan, very small and plastic, plastic walls etc. They are also linked to saniflo so you hear the pumps going in and around you, which was very annoying especially early in the morning, and because the walls were plastic you could hear people showering. But again, if they didnt have those they really wouldnt have anywhere to put an on suite, so better that than sharing. Again if they refurbed then the hotel will then become much more expensive. We had a fantastic weekend, we showered, we slept, brilliant location, walked everywhere. Go but bear in mind your not getting the ritz. One final thing, it was very clean, but not enough sockets

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank janpete04
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I've seen this hotel recommended in guide books for ages, but never was able to get a room there until recently. I spent four nights in a single that had no drawers or shelves, no chair or table, no fridge (as promised), no little clock-radio, and a little TV with only five (undesirable) channels. How this place gets entered in reliable guide books amazes me. Is it because it used to be worthy of recommendation decades ago when last examined? The only plus, besides the convenient location between King's Cross and Russell Square stations, was the excellent breakfast served by pleasant young people.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more and stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank SRJoffiveonetwo
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We booked two rooms - one double and one twin - when we arrived, we noticed that in the twin room there was an unpleasant smell of urine - very strong - and the bathroon floor was sticky, we washed it ourselves but could nor get rid of the smell. There was no hot water coming out of the very odd 'shower room' that consisted of a sink that had a shower attachment to it that merely dribbled lukewarm water out. The beds were beyond merely uncomfortable - i think we would have been more comfortable on the floor. When we complained to the receptionist he just said 'ok - sorry', but we were left with the distinct inpression that he really couldn't care less and that nothing would be done about it. I have noticed from some similar reviews that the same problems keep cropping up and nothing is done about it.

I urge you - do not stay at this hotel; you will be uncomfortable, cold and unwashed for your stay!

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel - even in the double room the ancient shower barely yielded any water, l...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Tina K
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thank you ‘Tina K’ for posting a review of our new hotel. I am sorry you had an unpleasant stay in our hotel. All the rooms are checked daily before letting by our Housekeeper who has been working for us for many years therefore I am puzzled and dismayed that you found a ‘sticky’ substance on the bathroom floor. My Housekeeper and I have since checked all the rooms for ‘urine’ smells and can find none.
We recently purchased the hotel in its present state and are planning a full renovation once relevant permissions have been obtained.

Reviewed 2 June 2012

A dreadful room which was totally unacceptable.Bathroom facilities were apalling and so were the facilities in the room itself. I am not sure whether the electrics were up to standard and there were not enough power points available.

Room Tip: this is a dreadful hotel and I suggest any traveller should view the room before making payment. I h...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charles W
Mark0brien, General Manager at Jenkins Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Thank you CharlesW for your review.
We bought the hotel 4 months ago and plan a full rennopvation once planning has ben approived. I can assure you that the elctrics in the building are certified and in good working order.