“It was okay...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #60 of 802 Speciality Lodging in London
Bellevue, Washington
“It was okay...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

We stayed here a few nights. The first couple nights we stayed in a 10 person dorm room, it was kinda dirty feeling, but when we made our beds it turned out to be okay. The beds were pretty comfortable and we loved the comforters. The downside was the incredibly loud street and pub across the street. I read that it was a 'quiet' place to stay but clearly that was a lie. Kinda pricey for a hostel. I never had a hot shower at this place. I don't know what the deal was with that... I once pushed the button for about 15 minutes thinking it would heat up if I just kept pushing it, but I ended up taking a freezing shower and drying off in a freezing bathroom. Also there is no place to put anything in the shower room. This is not unusual though for a hostel shower room. Last night and morning we stayed there were signs posted that said the hot water for showers was not working... needless to say we just didn't take showers there, it was kind of ridiculous.

The last night we stayed in a 16 person room which was a lot more enjoyable, oddly enough. The room is very large and bright and there are privacy boards between each bunk. It was also a lot quieter as the window was a sunroof and wasn't on the main road.

The free breakfast was alright, just a few choices of cereal, coffee/tea/hot chocolate, and warm toast with jam/butter.

Had the ability to watch movies in the uncomfortable 'chill out' room. Watched "28 Days Later" with a couple of others and enjoyed that a lot.

This hostel has a great location and great potential. It's run down and definitely needs some attention as mentioned before. The staff is just wonderful and very friendly though I don't think we would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2009

I liked the hostel, it was close to St Pancras, easy to find when I arrived. Reception staff was great and we even went out for a dinner and for clubbing.
Rooms were small but it's London and I didn't expect anything more for the money I paid.
British museum was just 10 min away and Camden Town was the best place ever - go there! I walked from hostel as it's close enough.
Coming back in a few months and definetely will stay in Ashlee Houser again!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
MIdlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

I stayed at the Ashlee JHouse for one night (I am glad of that) there were 8 of us in our party and we slept in two rooms of four next to each other on floor 2.

On arrival the reception area was dirty and the seating area was all ripped and was in total need of decoration.

Opposite our rooms room 22 and 23 was the ladies shower room where an extractor fan made an awful noise all night long and kept you awake - it was quite impossible to sleep and you could not turn the fan off. Hotel staff could not rectify this problem.

The doors to the room tend to slam so you also have the noise of others on the same floor adding to the noise pollution, there is an extremely busy road outside where you can also hear the traffic/sirens etc.

Beds are not made up for you - you are given sheets at reception to make your own - I did not really mind so much as the sheets were clean.

The chill out room - well it was a disgrace you would not chill out in there maybe a dungeon would be more appropriate?

The kitchen area was probably the best but beware it does say there is a self catering kitchen this is ok as long as you can work in others peoples left over washing up and you do not need an oven or a toaster as there are not any - there are 2 microwaves to us and a hob but that is it - one of the microwaves does not work - there is also a kettle.

the seating area in the kitchen is ok as long as there are not too many people in there.

The toilets are a disgrace - use santitory towels scattered about overflowing bins.

The hostel is close to kings cross station which makes easy access to the tube.

I would not recommed this hotel its not nice at all and needs a lot of attention.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

I rang up beforehand as I am a 16 year old girl, to make sure I was in a single sex dorm. After meeting very unfriendly staff in reception, I went up to my dorm to discover I had been put in with mainly middle aged men.
The staff forgot to give us our bed sheets and room code.
It was incredibly dirty, the bathroom was in a disgusting condition and the toilets had not been cleaned. The whole building also smelt incredibly bad.
I did not sleep at all owing to uncomfy bedding, noisy guests, and the fact it is right on an incredibly noisy main road and opposite a rowdy pub.
To sum it up, the staff were unfriendly, I didn't feel safe and it was an incredibly dirty place to stay.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
hobart,indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2009

Ashlee House itself was OK. We stayed in a private room which was real small just enough room for a bunk bed so no where to hang out in room but were there just to sleep. Bathrooms were Ok as well they werent the nicest but were Ok. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The location was great very close to train station so easy to get around london on the tube. It would prolly be a good hostel for backpackers to meet other backpackers but i was with my fiance so we do our own thing.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
travelling aussie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2009

went i flew into london from athens i found that my credit card had been stolen somewhere in between. when i arrived at Ashlee house, the staff member (i think her name was Lucy, if remember correctly) helped me out so much. allowing me to use the phone to cancel my card, and organise myself. she even gave me some money from her own pocket so i could buy some lunch - i'm forever grateful to her. it wasn't just lucy that was helpful. i found all the staff to be very helpful and friendly.
even though i was in an uncomfortable situation (not having money for a few days) i had a really enjoyable stay at Ashlee house. i would, without doubt, stay there again and recommended Ashlee house to other travellers.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
melbourne, australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2009

front entrance is nice but the rest doesn't look too flash, but it doesnt need to. cheap dorm room, get what you pay, breakfast is good and there is a nice kind of communal feeling down there for breakfast compared to some hostels iv stayed in the past.
would hapily stay there again, close enough to kings cross/st pancras station. friendly people. all good :)

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends