“Lewis Carroll would be proud”

The Mad Hatter Hotel
Ranked #203 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Sydney
“Lewis Carroll would be proud”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The room was large, very spacious and nicely decorated. I stumbled upon this hotel by accident and was pleased with it overall.
Only issue was there was no air con, they had a fan on the floor but this wasn't an issue for me.
I was by myself so the room seemed a bit too much for me.

I'm a huge fan of Alice in wonderland and loved the theme of this hotel.

The only negative thing I would say is the price is very high but I'm assuming it was high for me as I am thinking in terms of Australian dollars and as you know, the currency rate isn't that great.

Nice hotel and nice stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

I went to the Mad Hatter quite by accident, I was recommended by friends to try a Fuller's pub and this was the nearest one. Had the Sunday lunch and must say that the beef was some if the tenderest I have eaten, plenty of veg and gravy. Friends had the "Pork Pippin pie" and the "Mad Hatter Pie" which I had to try and were FABULOUS. Staff friendly, reasonable prices and a beautiful pub. Would thoroughly recommend if you are in the area, if not then go find it. Will return

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

This is the second time family have stayed here and again it was lovely. The room was clean and quiet. We ended up after a long day just having dinner in the pub and apart from a small problem ( that was dealt with quickly and with no fuss) it was lovely. The staff are all so nice and friendly and are a real credit not only to the management but to Fullers.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank emmac66
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Always comfortable, and always great service- never disappoints;
Great service from all the staff, comfortable room- with ground coffee, and a great breakfast - even had pancakes on the specials board.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Frankfurt
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Via Hotels.com, we were able to get a great rate for a good quality hotel in a convenient location. The room was clean and spacious by London standards and had a large, comfortable bed. This was an important feature because I've found that most hotels in Europe have really hard and uncomfortable mattresses. The room included complimentary tea, coffee, and hot chocolate, and complimentary still and sparkling water. The water pressure in the shower was good and the bathroom was clean and modern-looking. There were only about 15 TV channels to choose from with hardly any programming worth watching, but that wasn't a big issue for us since we were out late. While our room was located over the bar/restaurant and the music coming from the bar was quite loud, when I called the front desk to let them know the music was disturbing our sleep, they immediately had the music volume turned down to our satisfaction. The Mad Hatter is a short walk from the Tube and from the National Theater and Royal Festival Hall. Overall, it was a good experience and I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Mad Hatter again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The Mad Hatter Hotel is located in Southwark near the Thames, where you can go for a very pleasant stroll. The view there is wonderful and the path along the water is specially designed for pedestrians only, along many pubs and restaurants, Tate Museum and The Globe.
There is a bus stop just around the corner of the hotel and the nearest tube station is Blackfriars. We didn't like the walk from the hotel towards Waterloo station because you have to cross some difficult roads or walk underground. According to the hotel Waterloo is the closest tube station, but in my opinion it is Blackfriars. You just cross the bridge and you are there.
The staff is very friendly and helpful, although they promised us an umbrella for temporary use, which was never delivered in our room. The evening we arrived our strong umbrella (that survived some heavy showers in Belgium) completely bent due to an English storm.
The room was clean and cosy. It was a bit cold, but you could manage the heating yourself so that was good. There was complimentary water, still and sparkling, tea and coffee. There was an iron and a hair dryer as well. There was a TV, but no sky TV...only the sky sports channel and about 4 other channels and that's it. But we weren't in London to watch TV...
The bathroom was clean and had shampoo and soap and so on.
The only thing that annoyed us, was the lack of space in the bedroom. There was no place (a bench or something) to put your suitcase on. The bedroom was too small to put your suitcase open on the floor. This was a bit of a problem because there was no closet you put your clothes in. You had to use the few drawers the desk had, which is not enough when you are with 2 staying in the room. Next to the door there were a few coat hangers, but again not enough and not enough space.
Downstairs was a Fullers pub. English breakfast was served there at the cost of about 13 pounds. We had our breakfast along the water because of the fantastic view there and a wider variety of breakfast with several prices, varying from 4 pounds to 11 pounds for full English breakfast.

All in all it is a good hotel and we'd be happy to stay there again because the staff is so friendly and the location is superb.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stephanie C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I stayed for one night in this central hotel in London. As you probably know, the rates in central London are very high and this hotel seemed for me to be a good price-quality rate. Typicial and nice english hotel with a small but comfortable room.
Bad things that make me not recommend the hotel where:
-Room was very cold at night, heater didn´t work.
-My room had breakfast included but when I called reception to ask the lady she told me I didn´t, once I did the check out, told about the cold night and payed the room, they gave me the invoice in which was clearly written "Room and breakfast". The lady told me that it was her mistake but she didn´t apply to me any discount. NOT GOOD.
For that high rates they have, they should give a much better customer service.

Room Tip: Be careful when booking breakfast.