“once was a nice site but new assistant warden couple are so rude.”

Crystal Palace Caravan Club Site
Ranked #90 of 837 Speciality Lodging in London
Brighton, United Kingdom
“once was a nice site but new assistant warden couple are so rude.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

We have stayed at this site many times. However, our recent visit may well be our last due to the attitudes of the assistant wardens within the same day, (and un-aware of any connection) He managed to be so rude 1st. To a visiting friend who is a very mild mannered 65 year old, church going lady, he actually made her cry. 2nd. he was later so rude to my wife, she has now refused to ever stay at this site again. We all pay a lot of money to stay at Caravan Club sites, that are meant to be a place of rest and enjoyment. However, I believe the Caravan Club should strongly review their training tactics in regards to manners and customer relations, as a lot of them believe they are far superior to the clients and tourists that pay for their employment. They can be absolutely tactless and ill-manered to beyond belief. All the time the caravan club allow this behaviour it will continue to run their bussiness down and spoil the pleasure of camping for a lot of people.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Lilly N

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Frome, Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

Me and my family took are motorhome up to London to go and see some west end shows, we picked Crystal Palace Cavavan Club Site to stay at. The location of the site was excellent! Being only a 5 to 10 minute walk from the Railway station and a small town area.

The site was excellent! Nothing to fault at all! The washing facilities were excellent and very clean! though a little dated, the pitches were excellent and the staff on site were amazing! Its amazing how this great caravan club site can be in the middle of London!

Would recommend if you have a caravan or tent! to visit to London! An absolute must!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Essex, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

In December we stayed at this site which is really convenient for London. A great site with superb shower/wc/washing facilities which was lovely and warm.. and it needed to be in December !! We had four nights there so 'did the Christmas thing'.. Borough Market, Covent Garden, the London Lights and all within a bus ride away. We shall certainly do it again ! As pensioners with bus passes - a great way to see London.

Room Tip: If you have a caravan.. take it and enjoy a London break !
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jo H
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

Second visit to this site - last trip was October 2010. The caravan site is fine, everything you would expect, spacious pitches, very clean toilets etc. The main/only reason for visiting this site is to explore and enjoy London so its location is excellent. However, the reason I'm writing this review is to tell you about the first class service from the warden. When booking in she gave me the lowdown on the site and started to explain the public transport services. I asked about the Oyster travel cards and how they worked. To my surprise she offered me two Oyster cards that she would not need for a while and explained that they would require a top up from the local news agent. On topping them up I was told that each card had several pounds on them and all I needed was to put on what I thought I might spend over the holiday. The most you can spend on London Transport is £4 per day so it was quite easy calculate.

I am not a member of the Caravan Club but this sort of service is what makes one want to join. A really nice touch.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike P
Elmer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

Contrary to some of the other reviews, my experience has been positive on the various occasions that I have stayed here.

Clean, helpful wardens and easy access to London (Number 3 bus to the heart of the city).

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Coventry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

Having not been camping for a long time and having a restricted budget, we though we would give this place a go. At nearly £30 a night for a tent, I hoped that it would be worth it. £120 for four night spitching with use of toilet/shower facilities is ok, but it's the same price for a camper van in comparison.

The site was easy to find in Crystal Palace park and an easy 10 minute walk from Crystal Palace centre ( 15 mins from the train station by foot) . The number 3 bus, direct into central London (the first tube stop being Brixton) is a five minute walk from the site, has a night bus that runs all night and is very convenient.

A good welcome was given, a double check from the host to make sure we we happy with the site and we dutifully paid. A good level site was given for our tent. There is a food preparation and dish washing area, a hairdryer/sink area, showers and toilets (accessible by code) all in one easy to reach walk in one block. The shower's weren't perfect, some a little weak and occasional interment hot/coldness but they did the job. All areas were cleaned frequently during the day and bins were emptied at least four times a day.

Some noise does come from the adjoining road but wasn't an issue - it was more likely to the person sleeping in the tent next door that kept me awake! There is a secure gate at the front with pedestrian access 24 hours.

Overall I can honestly say I would stay here again. The hosts were polite and maintain a very good information room with very well written advice, on slips of paper that you can take away with you, to find all the great sites london has to offer.

Clean, well maintained by good staff, good facilities for a campsite with excellent access into London. Enjoy!

Room Tip: You can't book in advance for tents.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hawkthinks
Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2011

I have been a member of the Caravan Club for more than 10 years and this is the only time I have been dissatisfied with their service. My wife and I usually visit their sites with our caravan. But this time I had recently taken early retirement and decided to have a budget, solo, educational trip to London and took my tent. The trip was brilliant as I was able to follow up my research into the life of John Keats, further to my trip to Rome a few weeks earlier ( also with my tent) and check out the wonderful National Galleries, which were free of charge. I had phoned the Crystal Palace site some weeks earlier to book a pitch for my tent but was told they didn't reserve pitches for tents but he was sure that I would be able to get one on the day. I had taken the overnight coach from Glasgow Buchanan Street Bus Station and had arrived early in the morning at Victoria Bus Station, surprisingly refreshed because I had slept quite well on the bus. Crystal Palace is several miles South of the centre and the bus is rather slow but the site is probably as well placed as any to visit the centre of London. When I arrived at the site I told the Warden who I was and mentioned that I was a member of the caravan club and showed him my card. He wasn't the slightest interested in the fact that I had been a member for so many years but just seemed determined to share with me that he had big reservations about admitting solo campers to the site. Strange that he hadn't mentioned this some weeks before when I had phoned in advance of my trip. I have had no problems whatsoever in Europe as a solo camper so I was rather dismayed that here in my own country I was on the point of being refused entry. I basically had to plead with the Warden to permit me to stay in his precious camp site which by the way was not far short of £20 a night for the privilege. I wrote to the Caravan Club on my return and received a reply or two but none that gave me any satisfaction that they would resolve the situation. I also spoke to a Caravan Club representative at the Caravan Show in Glasgow but they seem surprisingly laid back about customer relations. Apart from that I hugely enjoyed my stay at the site and it was a good base for exploration, albeit the places associated with Keats are predominantly in Hampstead which is to the North of the Centre.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
10 Thank Scotpacker
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Jurys Inn London Croydon
#3 of 4 in Parkend
Via Lewisham
Via Lewisham
#367 of 837 in London

Been to Crystal Palace Caravan Club Site? Share your experiences!