“Appalling”

Ranked #7,751 of 23,849 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Take an off the beaten track location in Southgate, a menu bursting with fresh seasonal dishes and a cellar full of real ales and fine wines and you have the ingredients for the perfect country pub and restaurant. It's a winning formula of traditional mixed with a few contemporary touches that makes Ye Olde Cherry Tree a special place to visit.
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stopped by with a friend for early Sunday dinner. Ordered rib roast for two. The meat was tough and covered with fat. Rather than beef rib this meat was beef short ribs roasted rather than the normal BBQ. Carrots not cooked, roast potatoes mushy. Absolutely awful. Got apologies and refund from manager. However, this has put me of this local restaurant for ever. The young waitress who told us she was very new was absolutely delightful and charming.

2  Thank TriciaW66

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Impossible to get served. Inexperienced staff. Woeful management. Ye Olde Cherry Tree continues to get worse and worse. This pub is barely functioning.

4  Thank fivebyfivefaith
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This pub is local ish to me and have been a few times infrequently over the years.

Went a couple of weeks ago for lunch with my neighbour for lunch on a grim day. Pub wasn't very busy but welcome was friendly.

We both had the fish and chips and a pint and the food was really excellent. The fish we both had was cooked to perfection, really big piece, lovely crisp batter and very fresh tasting. 10/10 for the fish.

My wife has been a few more times than me and she always has the fish and chips (both cod and haddock are equally excellent) and it isn't something she would normally order.

Can't vouch for rest of menu as haven't needed to try anything else!!

1  Thank KiwiGav27
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Went here for a pub lunch with the family. The service was slow and the waitress was very sullen but the food was really nice. one of my members of family had the warm chicken breast sandwich with stuffing and cranberry sauce, she said it was very tasty, I had the fish finger sandwich which again was really nice, my husband had the beef and merlot pie which was very tasty with a light and flaky pastry on top and another member of my party had the soup of the day which she said was delicious but would prefer to have a slice of wholemeal bread or a brown roll on the side which they couldn't offer. One of the points I would make is that a simple jacket potato on the menu would be lovely. We didn't have deserts as we very full.. The atmosphere is very nice and they have a lovely fire that is nice and warming in the winter. Overall we had a lovely meal, however the service could be improved as it never hurts to be served with a smile.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I met a friend for a late lunch yesterday. A bit like the reviewer previously, we were seated and promptly forgotten about. We had to chase the waitress to take our order half an hour after we arrived. Then we had to chase the order. And then the drinks. And then the food. And then the drinks and then the bill. How hard can it be to get a sandwich and chips wrong? It was just awful.
Look slightly further afield to Finchley or East Finchley where they have some super gastro pubs and actually care about the food ( regardless of whether it is a sandwich or something more substantial) and the service is excellent. Truly terrible - management at Ye Olde Cherry Tree - you should be ashamed,

3  Thank dr001