“Mother’s Day Meal - Pleasantly surprised”

Ye Olde Cherry Tree
Ranked #4,375 of 22,659 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Take an off the beaten track location in Southgate, a menu bursting with fresh seasonal dishes and a cellar full of real ales and fine wines and you have the ingredients for the perfect country pub and restaurant. It's a winning formula of traditional mixed with a few contemporary touches that makes Ye Olde Cherry Tree a special place to visit.
London, United Kingdom
“Mother’s Day Meal – Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Have to say it was with some trepidation that I accepted to visit The Cherry Tree for Mother’s Day as, in my experience, these chain pub restaurants suffer on big ticket days from abject service levels and overrun kitchen staff.
But, have to report as I find, and we found it a good experience. It was a reduced Mother’s Day menu mainly centred on roasts, which presumably assisted the kitchen, and what we had was very good in both quality and quantity. And couldn’t fault the service levels from the generally young serving staff who were efficient in table waiting and order taking and the food was promptly served, which was no mean achievement considering how busy the place was. And on top of that the Purity UBU was more than drinkable as well..
As others have commented, these Vintage Inn Restaurant type places suffer from a large turnover of managers and chefs in the kitchen, and your dining experience is usually dependant on timing it to when they have some good ones. And in this respect I guess we achieved it. Amusingly (well for someone of my years), I noticed that there seemed to be a couple of young managers working this session who were running around with the latest fad of Gastro pub staff, e.g. clip boards and fully mic’d up radio headsets. If that’s what it takes to run an efficient restaurant then by all means carry on, but I can’t help thinking there must currently be a lot of ground disturbance being caused by old time Maitre D’s spinning in their graves..

London
“Please sort it out!”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We started coming to the Cherry Tree when we moved to the area about a year and a half ago. In that time the standards have slipped drastically, much to our bewildered disappointment.

Not sure who they've got cooking the food but it gets worse and takes longer every time. 2 days ago we were there for a family lunch and it took an hour to get a very inadequate adult portions- very undercooked, whilst the children's lunch looked like adult portions and much more appetising! I was embarrassed to have brought my family there but they insisted as it's easy to park (?!)- about the only advantage at the moment.

Previously we had to send a starter back as the celery tasted like it had been washed in CHLORINE- and gave my partner a stomach ache for days. Who knows what that was about?

This pub should be so much better than it is.

Please can you sort it out; hire proper chefs? Not charge an arm and a leg for woefully inadequate food?

Vintage Inns need to get their house in order it seems. I know the pub trade is a tricky business but that's why good food is so important- it can make or break a place and keep the money coming in. I'm not spending any more money on food there, that's for sure.

2 Thank CRLondon
London, United Kingdom
“Better in some aspects than others”
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

The food was adequate, but definitely not worth a visit in its own right. The bitter could also have been improved. The beer I had was a little stale. The pub itself is large and well situated in a good leafy location and has a large beer garden, so may be better in the summer. There are better meals and drinks available locally

“long wait for food”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

thought we would try here again after bad experience last time. sadly, service still bad. we were told there was a 30 min wait for food but still waiting after an hour. don't think the kitchen could cope with a busy sunday service. the waiting staff were trying their best. other customers complaining. a shame as good location and food was plentiful once it arrived. won't be going here again.

2 Thank OorTrace
“Appalling”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stopped by with a friend for early Sunday dinner. Ordered rib roast for two. The meat was tough and covered with fat. Rather than beef rib this meat was beef short ribs roasted rather than the normal BBQ. Carrots not cooked, roast potatoes mushy. Absolutely awful. Got apologies and refund from manager. However, this has put me of this local restaurant for ever. The young waitress who told us she was very new was absolutely delightful and charming.

2 Thank TriciaW66