International Students House
US$189
galahotels.com
US$203
  • Restaurant
All reviewsregents parkoxford streetperson dormshared bathroomcentral londonwalking distanceunderground stationwould stay here againdormitoryprivacybasinpubs
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Clean tidy rooms, very basic but at these prices wjat can you expect..
Great bar which was so cheap which we never expected given the location!!!
All the staff were lovely except in the breakfast bar where they were plain rude, but when youre having a good time you cant let a grumpy over worked cook spoil things!!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank loveuk123
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I stayed at ISH for a few days in early July and my first impressions were pretty good. I stayed in an 8 bunk female dorm - the room was quiet and each bed had a curtain for privacy, as well as a little shelf and power outlet set into the bedhead so you never had to fight over the rights to use an outlet like other hostels! The rooms were soft lit although each bed had an individual reading light which is useful when others wish to sleep.

The showers were adequate but there wasn't much privacy. (bring a bikini since the "curtains" are nothing but thin sheaths of plastic) I don't remember having any problems with the hot water although others have attested to this. Probably because I always showered in the morning. If anything the showerhead could have used a little more pressure. The bathroom floor was often wet so I brought some removable sticky wall hooks to hang my things up.

The only downside of my stay was when someone left our dormroom door ajar (the door doesn't close properly unless you slam it) and we were ransacked. One girl had (of all things) her makeup bag stolen. I had my hairdryer stolen. Fortunately most of our things were locked up in the cages underneath the bunks but if you want to save yourself a lot of hassle DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING ON YOUR BED! I reported the theft to the reception but they said they couldn't do much about it since we couldn't pinpoint the time of day it happened. Theft happens at hostels quite regularly, so never take any chances.

The breakfast was small and lacklustre, but it came complimentary with my booking so I couldn't really complain. Make sure you get in early or the good stuff will be gone. If you ask the girls nicely they'll cook you an egg any way you want it. The mini Costa coffee bar was also a lifesaver!

ISH is cheap, central and relatively clean for a hostel. If given the opportunity I would stay there again, although next time I'd be a little more wary of my belongings. ;)

Room Tip: Some of the ISH rooms are located in a separate building about ten minutes away from the main reception and cafeteria, so if you're after a private room be prepared to walk for your breakfast
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank asingleturtle
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I stayed here for a week in August, the location is fantastic, the building is across the road from the subway and it's an easy walk to Regents Park, Oxford Street and all the main attractions. I was given a brilliant map on arrival which the place produces which i'll keep and use again when I return in January. There is also quite alot going on in the building, i caught some live music while I was satying there and sampled the bar a few times, which was super cheap which was perfect as I was on the $, so it went much further than any other bar i went to. London is an expensive city, but an amazing one and ISH is a good choice for a place to stay, it's clean and tidy, the staff are helpful (the janitors are noisy some mornings tho) and I met some pretty nice people there who now 'friends' on facebook and I have an open invitation to visit and stay in India any time I want AWESOME. You're not going to find a mini bar or trouser press in your room, but you will get a clean quiet room which is close to everything and chances are you'll meet some really nice people to hang out with while you travel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Jake S
Reviewed 2 September 2011

This international student house is truly a travelers hidden gem! I travel to uk alot and spend most my summers traveling europe. I spent the entire summer of 2010 in London and rented a flat at this place. It was the best value and amazing location located in central london between baker street tube station & euston station off marlybone rd.
Trust me you will not regret this decision by staying here. It is recommended for groups of friends in your 20's traveling in the summer throughtout uk. It may not be a 5 star hotel or the cleanest but for a young man exploring london it provided me with an amazing trip.
Purchase an oyster card (a subway pass) or you can walk to most of the central locations. Its safe and affordable.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Passport-Kid
Reviewed 1 September 2011

When we arrived we saw there was building work going on and we thought we'd made a mistake. We checked in and the staff apologised for the disruption (it's being renovated) and we were given the keys to our room, which was clean and spacious. We stayed for a week in total and we both loved it. Lots going on in the building itself, We found the staff polite and willing to help out with ideas for London things to do. We ended up spending a couple of our evenings in the bar located in the building as it was so cheap and we were on a budget. It's not the Ritz, but its pretty darn good, so central within walking distance of Regents Park which is a perfect place to spend a sunny afternoon, perfectly good room, clean and tidy building, decent staff and the best location. We didn't have breakfast in the cafe as we wanted to get out and see london, so can't comment on that. Thanks

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends