“A great base for exploring London” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of International Students House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
International Students House
Ranked #271 of 828 Speciality Lodging in London
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“A great base for exploring London”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stayed at ISH for 5 days in a double room though I never ended up with a roommate. Considering the quality of the room and the price (I paid 130 GBP - approx. $200.00), it was a good value. London, like most of Europe, is expensive. The price also includes a daily voucher for a light breakfast. The ensuite bathroom was clean. You do have to run the shower a few minutes to get hot water but that is due to the type of water circulation system the building has. All the staff i dealt with were friendly and helpful.

If you want to eat out for dinner, I highly recommend Istanbul Bistro, right across the street.

If you are here to see London, ISH's location is great. It really is just across the street from the Great Portland tube station. From there, you can be anywhere in London in no time. By the way, if you have an iPhone, there is a great FREE app to help you get around on the Tube. Search London Tube in the App Store. It works without an Internet connection.

If I make it back to London, I'll probably be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where you can open the windows for circulation of fresh air.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank genericnic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for 5 days and I found the location perfect!! The tube station is outside and the Oxford street just 10min walking.. The only things I didn't like, is that they didn't clean the room daily, which I personally think is very important!!! Moreover, they seem to care a lot about the money, and they ask you to pay in advance.. I think that is very difficult for students (summer accommodation), to comply with this requirement.. Overall, I suggest the ISH, but don't forget, to arrange an everyday cleaning...

• Stayed July 2013
Wilkesboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

I wouldn't honeymoon here, but I wasn't on my honeymoon! It was a suburb location and I felt safe walking back at night. The receptionist was friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean. There were a lot of events going on and very student oriented but the excitement was infectious! It seemed very standard of hostels I've stayed at before and the price seemed affordable for all they offer and the Great Portland Street central location. I would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

The staff are very friendly, the bar is nice and the location can't be beat. Very close to 5 tube stations, multiple bus lines and tour bus services. Easy walking distance to Marylebone High Street, Oxford and Regent Street, Camden Market and the sights of the city. Very close to convenience stores and restaurants also. It might not be the most luxurious accommodation, but it certainly does the job.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Kannur, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

My initial 5 days of stay here in London while backpacking UK - Ireland alone in search of adventure. Had a shared room with Dorji fellow student from Tibet.

Ideal for backpackers. Common bathroom and they provided me with a free Breakfast coupon, and Buy one Get one beer coupons at the restaurant.

Enjoyed my stay in London. ISH Located Nr Regents Park metro station, walkable distance from Baker street and attractions like Madam Tussaud's.

Room Tip: All the same
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Sathiajith A
Slovakia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

I stayed at ISH on August 2012 for a week. I have to say it's quite a good value if I take into account location and price. It is a hostel, not the hotel as many people are confused.
The residence consists of 2 buildings - the main in Great Portland Street and the second in York Terrace. We were accommodated in York Terrace which is about 7 mins. away from the main building. Inspite of the location I wasn't disturbed of surroundings. On morning you need to go for the breakfast to the main building. Personally, I didn't enjoy breakfast because of weak variation of meals, you get voucher of £2.5 , I think.
The great advantage is you can get to many sights of London easily. I don't know now, but the last year the furniture was old and a bit damaged, should be renovated. Another thing what I want to say is there was a quite smell and mess in the corridor, I was there for a week, don't know if they sweep.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank randombackpacker
ISHcentralLondon, Front Office Manager at International Students House, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
We are sorry to hear that you experienced such problems during your stay at International Students House.

International Students House has been in operation as a charity supporting students from around the world for 50 years. We are mainly self-financing and operational surpluses are used to fund support for students who would not otherwise be able to afford to further their academic pursuits in London.

For 2015, in conjunction with universities that we have close associations with, we aim to provide 50 students with scholarships helping them out with accommodation, tuition fees and meal allowances. We also have a hardship fund for students that find they are experiencing financial difficulties during their studies.

We do comparison checks every year to ensure that our prices are on a par, or lower, than other private student accommodation available in our catchment area and strive to offer value for money to all our residents. Therefore we offer a wide variety of accommodation ranging from family flats to 4 bedded shared rooms and our applicants can select the option that best suits their pocket.

We would like to address some of the issues you raised.

There has in the last year been work both within International Students House and in the local area. Part of the work that we were doing within house was to improve our sound proofing and to improve the supply of hot water to our residents. Unfortunately this work did involve disruption to the hot water supplies on occasion and the work on our live music venue did mean that there was noise involved although we agreed with our contractors that any work that involved noise disturbance should not be started until after 09:00 am in the morning. Although we work closely with our neighbours we cannot control when and what building works they carry out. We are sorry that these necessary works disturbed you.

We, unlike many other student accommodation providers, do allow our permanent residents to have a guest for two nights in any seven day period for free. We only charge if we need to provide an extra mattress and bed linen. However you do need to have the permission of any people you share the room with and book your guest with our accommodation office. This is to ensure that we are providing a safe and secure environment for all our residents. Many people would feel most unhappy living in a residence where anyone was allowed access to their home without the organisation taking any due care as to who was allowed into the building.
We are sorry to hear that the bed in your room broke, that would have been repaired or replaced the same day as soon as our reception or housekeeping staff were informed. Beds eventually will break.

As to our laundry facility if you select the economy wash cycle it costs £3.50 to complete a wash and dry for a normal load. This is significantly cheaper than any laundrette in London and offers excellent value for money. We also offer a linen service to long term residents who don’t want to do their own washing due to their busy schedules. For £8.00 a week our housekeeping staff would change your bed linen on a weekly basis for the duration of your stay.

We would be very grateful if you would contact us directly as you say that you were charged £30.00 per night for the extension of your stay. None of our permanent residents are charged that for any room type so we would like to know where you stayed to follow this up.

We do add £3.00 per night to all room rates at the end of the academic year when students wish to extend their stay beyond the contracted dates. During the summer we take in language students who are charged at a higher rate than permanent residents and this is so that we can keep our prices down for permanent residents throughout the year and also make improvements such as providing free Wi-Fi throughout.

As an ex permanent resident you will receive a discounted rate should you ever choose to stay at International Students House at any time in the future. We hope that during your stay you did make use of some of the many other services offered such as the training courses, subsidised trips and tours, free resident supper evenings, free Sunday cinema, sports classes, student advisory service and the many free events and parties put on by our events team for our residents. I hope in using the facilities available you made friendships with people from around the world that will be with you for life.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

Despite the attractive location and price, the publicity fails to mention that the hostel is essentially built on top of a (giant?) night club, which is thumping all night. Perhaps if you are a member of the deaf commuty, this is not a concern, but I could hear (and feel) the bass through the earplugs. This may not be the case in the middle of the week, but if you need a good rest, give it a miss on the weekend.

Secondly, the management burst into my room with their keys at 8:45 am, saw me sprawled on the bed, turned around with no apologies and let the door slam. This is despite clear warnings that checkout is at 10. Possibly they are used to resident students oversleeping and need to hose them out of bed, but this is completely inappropriate for guests (on a Sunday morning).

The advertised "free WiFi" was also not available in the room except for a pathetic occasional trickle.

I have not braved the shower yet and will not comment on the odd construction of the little bed and awkwardly-placed shelves directly above it, reminiscent of torture devices for the Spanish Inquisition, but I think the information above may provide enough warning to stingy travellers looking for ways to save a buck.

What an unfortunate reminder of how low students are percieved and treated in the strata of Western society.

Room Tip: Don't come here?
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kseniya V

Travellers are raving about these London hotels