“Like trying to sleep in a sauna! Otherwise very nice”

YHA London St Pancras
Ranked #23 of 908 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 15 June 2009

The location is fantastic directly opposite the Eurostar terminal. The building is modern, staff friendly and helpful, the food not as good as in other YHA hostels I have stayed in and as they seemed to be trying to go for healthier more modern food rather than the good old fashioned stuff I normally appreciate finding in YHA hostels. The hostel really is very nice except for one thing which is that the rooms are like saunas. The hot air heating was on full and could not be switched off. I asked at the reception and was told they could not switch it off. We had to try to sleep with the windows open (bearing in mind it had been 25 degrees that day) to try to let some of the heat out but seeing as the room on the 2nd floor looks out over Euston Road, it just meant it was impossible to sleep. Even with the windows open I was sweating and too hot. I wrote a complaint to the YHA and have not heard antyhing back yet.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 13 June 2009

My wife, mother-in-law and I stayed for one night prior to heading off on Eurostar the next morning. I am a life member of the YHA (makes me sound ancient although I am only in my 30's promise!) so am realistic about standards.

The hostel has recently undergone an extensive refurbishment programme. The hostel is certainly fit for purpose therefore. Reception service was extremely friendly and welcoming, a real credit to the organisation. All carpets, furniture and painting is brand new and gives the place a warm feel. Security is excellent with access to all areas being with your door fob.

We had booked 2 double rooms (just over £60 each) which were, as you would expect, basic with basic en-suites i.e. no hotel type frills e.g. tea/coffee/TV/telephone etc. Bed comfort was OK but nothing special.

Noise was a problem on the floor we were so when considering booking you have to remember, being YHA, many people using it will be young people who may well come back 'three parts to the wind' and make a bit of a racket at 2am. The walls were a bit paper thin. Also it is located right on the Euston Road (very busy) so expect some car noise, ambulance sirens etc. We were on the 6th floor vs my mother-in-law who was on the 2nd -- we slept much better, so best to request a high floor if you are a light sleeper!

The location was perfect for Eurostar, being a few minutes across the road from St Pancras station. In the vicinity there were lots of pubs, cafes and restaurants. We didn't eat anything in the hostel so can't comment on that, but from the menu it looked bar food type stuff.

My only disappointment was lack of towels. I would have thought provision of towels would have even fitted into the category basic, but the only available were to purchase at £3.50 from reception.

Overall good, clean, well located, no frills accommodation but remember to take a towel!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2009

Spent seven nights (four pre-Paris, three post) at the recently renovated YHA St Pancras Hostel and would definitely stay there again. This obviously isn't a five star hotel but it's a friendly, very clean, affordable, well run hostel with the benefit of being across the street from a major transportation hub with access to several tube lines and the Eurostar to Paris.

Rooms are fairly spartan but clean with good mattresses and natural light from large windows. Most rooms now have private baths. My teen-aged daughter and I paid 46 pounds per night for a private room with breakfast included.

No kitchen but great little bar/restaurant on ground level with very affordable food and a very nice atmosphere. Staff was young, friendly and helpful. Wireless and internet access available.

We had originally thought that if the hostel turned out to be a little funky, we'd move to a nice hotel for the second half of the trip. After staying at a fairly pricey hotel on the Ile St Louis in Paris, we found ourselves happy to be returning to St Pancras.

This is definitely not a party hostel. Lots of family and older singles.

Area around the hostel is pretty good, especially in the direction of the British Museum. Kings Cross still a little dicey.

Easy to recommend and fully booked the whole time that we were there.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2008

We had a family of 5 in a room with 5 bunks and private bathroom. All facilities were clean and worked well with comfy beds. But thats it - no TV or table or anything else in our room. (I assume this is standard YHA fare).
We had one problem - the students at the nearby University decided to stage a protest when we were trying to get to sleep. It only went to about 10.30 though so no problem really !
Breakfast was plentiful with the usual English cooked breakfast - and served up by a very enthusiastic cook (who thought he could sing !).
Right across road from St Pancras station and the Eurostar departure point so its pretty well located.
Internet access downstairs. And to my surprise 'Youth' hostels are not full of 'Youth' - plenty of older guests here.
All in all its basic but it is clean and it well-priced. I'd go back again. (Although we also stayed around the corner at the Mentone Hotel and liked that better for a few extra pounds).
All in all

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank coco080
Reviewed 31 July 2008

I stayed in this hostel the night before a eurostar train the next day. Great location if you have an early train and good facilities. They even made us a packed breakfast for the next day it wasnt that brilliant but it filled a gap. The only problem I had at this hostel was not the hostels fault 6 i had a snorer in my dorm. But on the whole great price great location. I felt very safe and would stay there again armed with ear plugs.

The showers are adequate.

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 4 July 2008

Based on what I read here and on the YHA site, I was very excited about staying at this hostel. Well, it was really a rude awakening, and I emphasize rude. Had to wait to get into the room, and when we were finally given the key, they did not put us in the type of room I had booked. When I went back down to change the room, the person at the desk was clearly annoyed to be asked to make this basic change. He didn't speak one word to me during the entire process...needless to say, he didn't apologize for giving me the wrong room (it was as if he didn't want me to notice that we paid for a room with a private bath but were given a shared bath instead).

Warning about the rooms (or at least the two I saw). Bring your own:
towel, pillowcase, soap, shampoo, LOCK!!, washcloth, entertainment (there is no tv or radio in the room), alarm clock, toothpaste, cup, ear plugs, etc. These rooms are nothing more than a bed, shower stall, and toilet. Granted, the beds were comfortable but spartan, but we were exhausted.

As for the breakfast included with your stay, my 17 year old son (who will eat anything) said it was disgusting. I couldn't eat it because of a food allergy. We ended up getting breakfast elsewhere after trying it at the hostel one time.

Room are not cleaned daily. All the maid does is empty the trash can. And the air conditioner is great, but it can be very noisy. This is good, because it drowns out the street noise if you end up facing Euston Street.

On a positive note, the location was absolutely brilliant in terms of public transportation. I know Kings Cross is a bit rough, but we had no problems. All in al, I wouldn't recommend this or stay here again, but it could be ok for teenagers who must travel on the cheap.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank OnTheRoadEditor
Reviewed 6 May 2008

We booked this because of the location - just wheel the suitcases from Eurostar - and the price. A good furnished apartment in Paris can cost less than a youth hostel in London. Go figure.

St Pancras YHA provides basic accommodation. The family room is naturally quite small, but has a tv and bathroom with towels. After five nights my wife, daughter and I were moved into a four bed (all singles) room, due a mix-up we had made in our bookings. Long story short, this room had no towels. Yes, they said, you can hire them, 3.50 GBP per towel. Given that we paid more for this room than the family room and had already stayed five nights this seemed petty and annoying. (And thus giving rise to the expression, 'as dry as pommy's bath towel'.)

The breakfast is okay, muesli, fruit, eggs, snags, etc. Evening meals are reasonable value if not exactly Gordon Ramsay. Kitchen staff work hard, and reception is reasonably efficient. If short on flexibility.

Being right on Euston Road, the traffic noise is pretty relentless, double-glazing and all. On the upside you have the Underground on your doorstep. The hostel feels secure and certainly attracts familys.

The hostel also charges for wi-fi access. Don't pay it: go to the cafe at the splendid Wellcome (sic) Centre further down Euston Road for free wi-fi, comfortable chairs and a great menu.

St Pancras YHA is clean and well-located, one for the budget-minded rather than the the traveller wanting comfort with their stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)