“Very good hostel”

YHA London St Pancras
Ranked #23 of 930 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 18 September 2009

I stayed in St Pancras with my boyfriend in June. We had a double room: it wasn't so cheap (60 euros per night) but it was worth it. The location was great, near the King's Cross station. The room was clean and big enough for us. It was pity that the breakfast didn't include the price. Staff was great! Would go again but then maybe to cheaper dormitory.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 June 2009

YHA London St Pancras was just what I needed for my stay in London with my 11year old son. I chose it for its location and prices – why spend a fortune on London hotels if we are only going to spend our nights there? I prefer using my money for sightseeing, entertainment and shopping.

The location is very convenient: The King’s Cross – St. Pancras tube station, just two steps away, not only has all the lines (as well as buses) needed for exploring London, but also a direct connection to Heathrow airport every 4 minutes and (very important when you have luggage!) – an elevator, while most London underground stations have at least one flight of stairs before you reach the street.

We had a private room for 43£ /night, which is excellent. (I booked it some 5 or 6 months in advance and all private en-suite rooms were already sold out!). Our unit consisted of 6 private rooms and 4 baths, so it was quite OK. The room itself was basic (bunk beds, cupboard, one armchair and a non-working TV), but very airy, clean, freshly painted and with a brand new carpet on the floor. Mattresses were very good – nothing Spartan about them from my point of view! – with new bed linen, covers and two pillows each, so we slept very well. Breakfast was included in the price and consisted of a breakfast basket (cereal, fruit, croissant, yogurt, butter and jam) and a bacon baguette or a burrito, breakfast drinks and juices too, of course. Breakfast area in the lobby is also very nice and new and the staff are friendly and helpful.

All in all, it’s a good youth hostel and I would recommend it to all people, not only “youth”, who put their priorities in exploring the city and not in comforts.

Some practical advice to future guests: No need to pay the additional YHA fee (3£/night, I think). Just become a member of your country’s hostelling organization before traveling to London. When booking, ask for a room on high floors and not facing the street to minimize the noise (ours was on the 5th floor and there was still noise, but bearable). Come to breakfast before 8 o’clock or at 8 at the latest, because there are seven floors in the hostel and less then ten small breakfast tables… Don’t pay 1£ for 15 minutes internet surfing. There is a post office opposite King’s Cross that charges much less. Last but not the least: since you are lodged opposite the great new British Library, don’t miss the opportunity to see their BL highlights gallery. It’s worth a visit.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank nikica
Reviewed 24 June 2009

I have stayed at youth hostels before and come to the conclusion that they are not for me however when I looked into hotel prices they were outside my budget once I converted the price into Australian dollars, hence settling for the yha. However I was pleasantly surpirsed on arrival. The foyer/cafe is very nice. We ate breakfast there, ordered some dinner one night and had drinks there quite often which were all good and very cheap for London.

The hostel rooms were clean. The carpet and cupboards were a bit dated but the sheets were all very clean. The room was quite warm though but the air-conditioning made it too cold. The bathrooms were ok for a hostel.

I was surprised by the people staying at the hostel. I thought I would be woken up each night by 18 year olds who had been out drinking all night (total stereotype I know!) but the other people who shared our room were really nice and considerate when they entered the room if we were already aslep etc etc. I noticed a lot of families and older people in the foyer and cafe as well.

The location is pretty good. Right i between Euston and St Pancras station. We could walk to many sights on foot and Euston and Kings Cross stations took us to almost all subway stops we needed.

Im not a hostel person but I would probably book one of the private rooms on my next stay instead of a budget hotel. I was really impressed with the yha and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a hostel in London.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Back after its 6 month refurbishment, YHA St Pancras is still one of the best hostels in London. Located opposite St Pancras station and a short walk from King's Cross and Euston stations it is perfectly located for getting to the Tube - and hence most parts of the city quickly. Covent Garden and the West End are about 15 minutes walk away if you so desire!

There have been a few changes since the refurb - the restaurant has moved from the first floor and is now on the ground floor, whilst the lounge (previously in the lobby) is now where the restaurant used to be. Sensibly, the inclusive breakfast is now gone in favour of cheaper room rates (no great tragedy as the quality of the food was always a bit hit and miss - and there are plenty of cafes around the King's Cross/Euston area anyway), and the restaurant has tried to go a bit more upmarket with a kind of "cafe bar" style. However, the self catering kitchen has sadly been removed.

Most of the dorm rooms are en-suite; there is a communal bathroom in the corridor for those that don't. This is the area that hasn't changed all that much - but they have taken the trouble to fix all the broken fixtures and fittings and other bits of tattiness. All the dorms are equipped with air conditioners, and are double glazed so not too much noise from the eternally busy Euston Road leaks into the room.

Best of all they have replaced the old key locks with a hotel style swipe card system for getting access around the building. No grumpy concierge to deal with in the early morning hours anymore - you can walk straight in and now the front desk is staffed by a YHA representative 24 hours a day.

In all - still great value for money and can be heartily recommended if you are doing London on a budget.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 June 2009

The location is fantastic directly opposite the Eurostar terminal. The building is modern, staff friendly and helpful, the food not as good as in other YHA hostels I have stayed in and as they seemed to be trying to go for healthier more modern food rather than the good old fashioned stuff I normally appreciate finding in YHA hostels. The hostel really is very nice except for one thing which is that the rooms are like saunas. The hot air heating was on full and could not be switched off. I asked at the reception and was told they could not switch it off. We had to try to sleep with the windows open (bearing in mind it had been 25 degrees that day) to try to let some of the heat out but seeing as the room on the 2nd floor looks out over Euston Road, it just meant it was impossible to sleep. Even with the windows open I was sweating and too hot. I wrote a complaint to the YHA and have not heard antyhing back yet.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2009

My wife, mother-in-law and I stayed for one night prior to heading off on Eurostar the next morning. I am a life member of the YHA (makes me sound ancient although I am only in my 30's promise!) so am realistic about standards.

The hostel has recently undergone an extensive refurbishment programme. The hostel is certainly fit for purpose therefore. Reception service was extremely friendly and welcoming, a real credit to the organisation. All carpets, furniture and painting is brand new and gives the place a warm feel. Security is excellent with access to all areas being with your door fob.

We had booked 2 double rooms (just over £60 each) which were, as you would expect, basic with basic en-suites i.e. no hotel type frills e.g. tea/coffee/TV/telephone etc. Bed comfort was OK but nothing special.

Noise was a problem on the floor we were so when considering booking you have to remember, being YHA, many people using it will be young people who may well come back 'three parts to the wind' and make a bit of a racket at 2am. The walls were a bit paper thin. Also it is located right on the Euston Road (very busy) so expect some car noise, ambulance sirens etc. We were on the 6th floor vs my mother-in-law who was on the 2nd -- we slept much better, so best to request a high floor if you are a light sleeper!

The location was perfect for Eurostar, being a few minutes across the road from St Pancras station. In the vicinity there were lots of pubs, cafes and restaurants. We didn't eat anything in the hostel so can't comment on that, but from the menu it looked bar food type stuff.

My only disappointment was lack of towels. I would have thought provision of towels would have even fitted into the category basic, but the only available were to purchase at £3.50 from reception.

Overall good, clean, well located, no frills accommodation but remember to take a towel!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2009

Spent seven nights (four pre-Paris, three post) at the recently renovated YHA St Pancras Hostel and would definitely stay there again. This obviously isn't a five star hotel but it's a friendly, very clean, affordable, well run hostel with the benefit of being across the street from a major transportation hub with access to several tube lines and the Eurostar to Paris.

Rooms are fairly spartan but clean with good mattresses and natural light from large windows. Most rooms now have private baths. My teen-aged daughter and I paid 46 pounds per night for a private room with breakfast included.

No kitchen but great little bar/restaurant on ground level with very affordable food and a very nice atmosphere. Staff was young, friendly and helpful. Wireless and internet access available.

We had originally thought that if the hostel turned out to be a little funky, we'd move to a nice hotel for the second half of the trip. After staying at a fairly pricey hotel on the Ile St Louis in Paris, we found ourselves happy to be returning to St Pancras.

This is definitely not a party hostel. Lots of family and older singles.

Area around the hostel is pretty good, especially in the direction of the British Museum. Kings Cross still a little dicey.

Easy to recommend and fully booked the whole time that we were there.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family