“Superb Hotel in great location”
Review of The Bloomsbury

The Bloomsbury
Ranked #58 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Superb Hotel in great location”
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I returned for a two night stay and once again it didn't disappoint. A big thank you to Michael Neve and his attentive staff, you have a hotel to be proud of, nothing was too much trouble. This is a beautiful hotel, spotlessly clean in a fabulous location. Will look forward to a return visit.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Psnowden
DanielHealey, Manager at The Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. It was our pleasure to take care of you both.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
west yorks
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed for a couple of nights in a standard room over the May bank holiday weekend. The room was spotlessly clean with a comfortable King size bed and 32" flat screen tv. We were well looked after during our stay by polite but not overbearing staff that made us feel very much at home. The Bloomsbury Is Ideally located for the best that London has to offer with loads of great attractions within walking distance.(The British Museum, Oxford St., Covent Garden and Theatre land are all on your doorstep) All in all a great good value west end choice.

Room Tip: We could not hear the road from our 5th floor front facing room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
DanielHealey, Manager at The Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your recent May bank holiday weekend stay with us.

Shrivenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed here for my Sister-in-Law's birthday. The hotel is in a terrific position for access to the west end. We only had a 'standard room' so can't comment on the bigger rooms but the room we had was quite small (about on a par with a Holiday Inn) - the fixtures are better of course.

I mentioned at check in that we were here for a birthday and when we returned to the room in the early evening to get ready for dinner my sis in law had a personalised birthday cake and card from the two receptionists. It was a really nice thing for the to do so I would like to mention Adella and Ben, thanks guys!

Would recommed this hotel but spend a bit more and get a bigger room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
DanielHealey, Manager at The Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your recent celebration.

I am delighted that we could contribute to your special occasion in some way, and Adella and Ben will be ecstatic with the mentions.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have a long history with this hotel. It's always been my first choice in London whenever I'm there (about 2-3 times a year), but my last stay changed my impression completely. I stayed there for about 2 weeks in winter 2012 and a month in summer, and 6 nights with my partner in January 2014 for a New Year's getaway.

There's no denying that the location of this hotel is definitely great. It's within walking distance from all major attractions; Leicester Square, Oxford Street, Soho and very accessible through major tube stations (Tottenham Court Road station is 3 mins away).

The rooms are nicely decorated and very cozy. Very comfortable beds and luxurious bathrooms.

However, the service of the hotel is probably the worst I've ever experienced for what I
pay - especially the reception staff. On all my stays, the credit card machine doesn't seem to work properly.

First incident - Summer 2012:
When I had to check out from my 28 night stay in Summer 2012, and after paying a huge bill for the room and in-room dining, there was a problem with my credit card as did not accept any transactions. On my way out, the bill was being settled but the credit card did not seem to work. There was about 120 pounds (out of 4500+ pounds that was already settled) that the card did not accept to process. I explained to the receptionist that my flight is in 2 hours and my friend is staying in the room for the night as I have already paid for it and he'd be happy to settle the rest of the payment.
I was basically shouted at by the receptionist saying "WE WANT THE MONEY NOW!, I'VE BEEN TRYING TO PROCESS YOUR CARD ALL DAY BUT IT'S NOT WORKING".

As my friend was sleeping in the room, I had to call my family to send their credit card details to pay the remaining amount. Again, the system did not accept the payment and I was blamed. Thankfully, the problem was in the hotel's payment system.
Another issue I faced during that trip is that they blocked the full amount of my stay on my credit card and did not release it until 2 weeks after I've checked out, which probably caused the whole problem.

Also, my GHA account (the loyalty program) was only credited for 10 nights, not the whole stay.

Second incident - January 2014:
This experience at this hotel has paled in comparison with the other hotels in the Group (the Marylebone). As a platinum GHA member, I did not feel very special upon check-in. Although the check-in staff were delightful, especially, Joelle, we were disappointed by a number of things not least the way in which the night manager seemed to dismiss our regular stays at GHA hotels for over 30 nights a year as relatively insignificant as compared with others who stay for months at a time. What we sought was a way to upgrade our room to a deluxe by paying extra and a complimentary upgrade to a suite by way of benefit from the platinum membership. But instead we were shown a series of extremely small deluxe rooms only one of which had the desired kingsize bed.

Having travelled for a long time, we settled for the room (that looks like a renovated attic) in order to rest only to find these things lacking:

- Hairs on the sheets of the bed behind the pillows
- No complimentary water
- No kettle
- No answer (just answerphone) from room service by telephone after having tried 5 times to reach them between 10pm and 1130pm
- No shower gel or conditioner in the room
- Not having been asked on check-in whether we wanted a newspaper
- A malfunctioning ipod dock with no cable
- A malfunctioning bedside reading lamp
- A malfunctioning nespresso machine

After emailing the day manager with our complaint, we received a call on 4th night (out of 6) offering us a different room. However, we didn't want to go through the trouble of packing and unpacking for a 48 hour stay.

In conclusion, I'd recommend this hotel for "in and out" stays of 3-4 nights. It's nicely decorated and clean, but don't expect any special treatment or 5-star service for the overpriced rooms compared to its neighbours like the Radisson Edwardian.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Faris_Aljaser
Yorks
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My wife and I, plus my brother and his partner stayed here for a birthday celebration on the 5th of May. Our arrival was handled professionally with a smile and some appropriate humour as it was my wife's birthday. The rooms were spotlessly clean and the concierge attentive. We arrived back to ready ourselves for the evening, and we were surprised and delighted to find a lovely birthday card from the reception team with a generous portion of lemon cake. The towels had been replaced and the room given a tidy!
This is a very well run hotel, which isn't expensive for central London, and the staff are amazing. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
DanielHealey, Manager at The Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 13 May 2014

I am delighted that we could contribute to your special occasion in some way, and the team will be over the moon with your comments.

Thanks again for your thoughts, and I do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Larbert, Scotland
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My wife and I spent a 4 day city break at The Bloomsbury Hotel last week. Room was excellent, very comfortable, well equipped and fairly spacious (we had paid extra for a deluxe room). Staff were excellent, especially hostess at breakfast who remembered our names and greeted us personally each time she saw us. Breakfast was very good. Terrific location, just off Oxford Street and near Covent Garden / Soho.

We will certainly return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
DanielHealey, Manager at The Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your recent city escape. I am very pleased with your review, and delighted to personally thank the breakfast team, in particular the hostess, Estelita.

Thanks again for your kind comments, and I do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Lovely weekend in London staying at The Bloomsbury. Hotel bedrooms felt luxurious and very clean. An upmarket boutique hotel with all the staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms well equipped and the public areas were very impressive too. Would definitely return. Ideally situated for Covent Garden, theatres/museums and a great choice of restaurants. Good location for sightseeing too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
DanielHealey, Manager at The Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel, the Capital and the service we provided throughout your stay.

We look forward to you returning,

With best regards