“Good London hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Good London hotel”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Really nice hotel - stayed here for my husband's 40th. The room was on the small side but to be expected in London. It was clean and nicely decorated. The hotel had a great location and we were able to walk everywhere but in spite of this it was very quiet and we weren't disturbed by noise at all. The staff were all incredibly friendly, helpful and polite and dealt with a broken coffee machine immediately. We didn't have breakfast included as this seemed quite expensive and didn't eat at the hotel. Overall impressed by the general ambience and really good staff.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor which was very quiet and we weren't disturbed by noise at all.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank catherine s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
cork city
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

What a shambles of a stay.

The good? Great location. Rooms are decent.

The bad: checking in, the receptionist informed me that he couldn't make a transaction with my card. Next day I ring my back to find out that contrary to what the receptionist said, €366 euro was withdrawn from my account by the Bloomsbury!!!? Incompetence.

When I tried to settle the remaining outstanding balance I was met by a hotel receptionist manager who made a simple transaction as confusing as possible and delivered every reply in a most condescending tone. I will never know why some people choose a customer facing role!

At night when coming back to the hotel I discovered my card didn't work to gain access to my room. Again, back to reception I went. this time with the night staff to deal with. Different staff but same terrible attitude. The concierge sarcastically suggested he walk me to my room in a manner that suggested I wasn't bright enough to work the door! Thanks pal!

As for value for money, this place is a bit of a joke. Continental breakfast is something like 12 pounds for toast porridge and juice.

The jokers charged me for my complimentary paper on check out too.

Avoid.

Stayed June 2014
9 Thank GaryandDee
DanielHealey, Manager at The Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your detailed feedback.

We are committed to listening to our guests and in the spirit of improving all aspects of our guest experience I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you, may I ask you contact me directly at daniel_healey@doylecollection.com

Many thanks and renewed apologies
Daniel Healey
Deputy General Manager
Swinton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Having stayed in this hotel several times whilst on a weekend theatre break to London we found this hotel very comfortable. There is always clean linen the rooms are warm and there is always hot water. Breakfast is varied and enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Happytravellers3861
Bordeaux, France
Reviewed 7 June 2014

nice sweet british hotel very well located near the British museum and close to Tottenham station in a quite area. Breakfast could be more complete with a larger choice of vegetables and more warm dishes like sausages and sunny up eggs in the continental buffet.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Christophe L
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This is supposed to be a high end hotel in one of the best areas of London, and it is priced accordingly. Therefore you would not expect a room with a tiny window facing a wall just a couple of meters away, and a bathroom with a sink so small you can not even wash your hands comfortably (see photo, the size is the one of an airplane sink).
At breakfast you will find some frozen fruits, that are not yet unfrozen...
A lot of better alternatives in London!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a big bathroom
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank frequentraveler65
Westbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This was by far the best hotel I've ever stayed in and would recommend to anyone. I took my girlfriend here for valentines day and it was well worth the 1-2 hour trip. The staff were incredibly friendly, helpful and attentive, e.g. helping me locate a nice restaurant for an evening meal. The hotel is located perfectly, close range to Oxford Street for shopping during the day, with a lot of restaurants surrounding for the evening. The stay itself was incredible; the room was immaculate on arrival and in the morning you won't want to leave the bed due to the comfiness.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I was delighted with this hotel when I spent a night there after a wearying sojourn in Africa. The staff gave me a warm welcome and allowed me to check into the room early, for which I was very grateful. The room was more spacious than I expected for a major city, and was very nicely appointed. The bathroom seemed quite luxurious, as well. The location, within easy walking distance of the British Museum and other central London attractions, was very convenient, allowing a person to return to stash packages or rest for a few minutes between destinations. Although I ate dinner in the hotel's restaurant mainly because I was too tired to go anywhere else, I was pleasantly surprised at the delicious food and the charming, candlelit atmosphere. My 6:15 wake-up call on the morning I left was followed by the delivery of a perfect cup of coffee, a very nice touch. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo