“Poor but very cheap - so acceptable”
Review of An-Nur Hotel

An-Nur Hotel
and 1 more site!
An-Nur Hotel
Ranked #954 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 November 2008

From the outside it looks good. The location is very good - both for the area around and for excellent access to the tube. In some dim distant past it probably was a good hotel (under different management and a different name).

It has clearly had little or no investment in years (though several very large and heavy boxes of something arrived in the lobby during our stay - which may be a good sign). It has also had precious little maintenance down the years - however our room had a sleepable bed, and functioning bathroom. Carpets were stained (some dirt stains, more bleach stains where really stubborn dirt stains had been removed). The phone didn't seem to work, but that was not a concern to us. The room was very small - we had luggage for a short stay, not a long one, so that was OK too.

Lift was Out of Order - a narrow staircase had to be used. With light luggage and on floor 2 this was OK. With heavy luggage or limited mobility this would be a nightmare. Other reviewers also say the lift was out of order, so it seems this is a long term thing (unless those boxes are lift machinery).

Another reviewer noted that the heat in their room was off and that it was cold. When we arrived our room's heat was off also, but there is a thermostat valve at the end of the radiator - room cleaning probably switch it off when they clean. If you don't recognise it for what it is, then the heat will stay off - UK visitors will recognise it, others will not and will not be told unless they ask. When we turned the valve on, the room rapidly became more than warm enough, but we eventually got the level right.
Staff were pleasant & helpful - They let us check out an hour late with no problem and no extra charge. Staff also had no problem with us bring back take-away food late at night and eating it in the breakfast room (did we mention the rooms are small?) provided we cleared up after ourselves.
No review of breakfast because we slept late.

In summary, just about adequate for 2-3 days - but only because of low price, good location and accommodating staff.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Iain-F

Reviewed 10 November 2008

Hi

I've just come back from this hotel. I know most of the reviews are very negative. However, I would challenge anyone else who can get a triple room for £60 a night in the Bayswater area.

At the end of the day, the maxim "You get what you pay for" really applies here. Our room was fine. Had clean linen and towels. we even had a colour tv! Having hot running water (albeit the noisy pipes) was good.

We only needed a place to lay our heads down at night, after a long days sight seeing.

The staff were very helpful and allowed us to chose from a number of rooms so we ended up picking the nicest one. Some of the rooms were pretty awful.

This place is going to be closing down at the end of November. It is a building owned by the Sultan of Brunei - who will be converting it into 10 luxury flats.

The key with this hotel is to negotiate the price right down with the receptionist. He (Stancho or Malik) will be very willing to give you a room for a knock down price - however, time is running out for this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank darcus
Reviewed 3 November 2008

The hotel is absolute disaster !! Smelly, dirty. Tiny rooms and again very unclean. Bathroom and toilet - well, have no worlds to describe, absolutely below any hygienic standards . Breakfast was served by very unfriendly lady and again lack of cleaning everywhere. So if you don’t want to ruin your impression about London, don’t even think to stay at this place.. I really don’t understand how this hotel got even 2 stars and why authorities who is responsible to look how hotels keep standards don’t close it down !

• Stayed: June 2008
4  Thank angikUk
Reviewed 20 October 2008

I had read the reviews before booking this hotel for 4 nights and thought it couldn't be that bad, I was wrong!
I was in a room on the 5th floor and was advised that the lift was currently out of order, looking at the sign on the elevator it had been out of order for some time.
After finally carrying my bags up the 5 flights of stairs I left the hotel to explore London. I arrived back at the hotel at approx 9pm to find that the TV was broken and with no phone in the room to contact reception I decided I would read, 2 minutes after turning on the light I was in darkness and I was sure I was not going to do the stairs again.
Following morning I reported the problems, light was fixed but the TV was never attended to. I checked out early and found a hotel for the same rate that was "The Ritz" compared to this disgustingly dirty hotel. On the upside the majority of the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank peterbishop6
Reviewed 20 September 2008

I booked this hotel, for a 3 night stay,then read the reviews, Big Mistake. Most of these reviews are not accurate. Ok the hotel is not a 4 star hotel but we paid for a budget one and thats what we got. We paid around £86 per night for a double room bed and breakfast, I have paid alot more in 4 star hotels and they have been of poorer standard than this hotel.The staff are very friendly and helpful. On arriving at An-Nur we were offered a room but was told it was a little small, if we didn't like it we could choose another one. If nothing had been said we would have been happy to take this room, but when a choice was offered we took it. After looking at 4 rooms we picked one on the fifth floor. The lift was not working ,but we are fit and healthy so climbing five flights of stairs was no problem.
The breakfast consists of cornflakes or rice krispies, toast and breadcakes. Tea and coffee are available all day.. The shower in the room worked well with hot water all the time. Towels were changed every day. The carpets in the rooms are stained but are vacuumed daily.
An-Nur hotel is in a prime location close to 2 tube stops. Kensington Palace and Hyde Park are only a short walk away. The area close by has a good selection of places to get good food.
The next time I go to London I will stop at An-Nur again. You pay for a budget hotel and that is what this hotel is.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Al1887
Reviewed 26 July 2008

The receptionists were very kind. Elevator was broken, so we had to climbe the dirty stairs four floors every day. The carpets meet the quality of a zero star hotel in Bombay. We think London authorities should close this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank LancelotSwitzerland
Reviewed 22 July 2008

We stayed at the An-nur on the Saturday 19th July to see the West End show Lord of the Rings which was the last night of the Musical Show.Ok I know this hotel is a cheap hotel but I would have expected more from it for the price.

I have never been so disgusted at a dirty hovel of a Hotel, and I shall be finding out who I can contact in London regarding ths flea pit. The room it self was filthy, carpets were a disgrace where some one had vomited on the floor in the past and it had not been cleaned off the carpet properly and left to dry. We were allocated a room on the sixth floor which was right up the top of the hotel, and as the lift was not working we had to climb all the stairs to the top which was hard going, good thing we only had small bags and not suit cases to haul up the flight of stairs.
The rooms did not have smoke alarms fitted to the ceilings which is against the Fire Regualations and there were no Fire Alarms in the corridors in case of a fire. Also when we were climbing to our room, the stairwell on the fourth floor was blocked by rubbish etc against the wall, again a hazard in case of evacuation of the the Hotel.
The room itself was so drab with paint on the walls discoloured and cracked. The shower was something out of a third class rated dump.
And as for the Breakfast in the morning that was a joke, a so called Continental breakfast, it was disgusting, rolls, toast ,cereal, and tea and coffee, no meats or cheese, which should be included in a Continental style breakfast, and just orange juice.The jam and marmalade were in large bowls and you had to help yourself with a spoon in each, which was unhygienic for a start, as this contravened,Food Hygiene regulations.

I would not stay in this Hotel ever again and would advise other people to do the same, I know it is cheap and that you get what you pay for but not at the cost of my Health and Safety.

But I will find out who I can contact to report the broken Fire Regulations of this Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple