“Wonderful Vacation Exerience”

Ranked #361 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Atlanta
“Wonderful Vacation Exerience”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We arrived at the hotel after the usual, long flight from the states, a fast train ride into town, and then a one-hour tai ride from Paddington due to streets still being closed for the Jubilee. At 1 PM, the room wasn't ready, and because it was pouring rain and we were just plain tired, we waited in the lobby until 3 when it was ready. I think the desk person took pity on us - that and it was our 15th anniversary - because he upgraded us to a high room with a sliver of a view of the square. We were only paying 54 pounds a night on a Honors stay. The room was very well appointed with bathrobe, slippers, large safe, and coffee and tea. The bathroom was large and had modern fixtures. The bed was extremely comfortable, and a request for extra pillows was met immediately. The room was also very quiet. Everyone at the front desk was very helpful and cheerful. The hotel had a great location, with Piccadilly, Leister, and Trafalgar Squares right there. I hope I can stay again.

Room Tip: Although London streets are fairly noisy, the rooms on the street are extremely quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
MarliSadzinski, Guest Relations Manager at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Once again, Congratulations on your Wedding Anniversary, and thank you for choosing to stay at The Trafalgar, while celebrating this special date away from home.

We pride ourselves on meeting, and exceeding, our guests' expectations and so we happy to read that your stay with us was the most enjoyable.

Thank you for taking the time to provide such valuable feedback. I very much hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to the Trafalgar Hilton in the not too distant future and look after you personally.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2012

London was the last stop on a 3.5 week vacation to Europe, so I was feeling a little jaded by the time we offloaded at The Trafalgar. I got "unjaded" pretty quickly. The welcome we received from the staff was absolutely wonderful. I was travelling with my mother, and I had requested twin beds when I booked (on points, no less!). They'd made sure we had the twin beds and gave us a lovely room facing Canada House on the Square. Big fluffy towels, facecloths (which is a miracle in Europe) and yummy robes for each of us. It was a nice surprise because travelling on points can be a bit of a crapshoot. It may have helped that I have Hilton Diamond status. Not really sure!

The hotel is truly a boutique hotel. There is a quiet, fairly formal dining room downstairs with a wonderful chef - make sure you try the Pont Neuf potatoes! - where we ate a few times over the course of our stay. There is a much louder, and trendy, bar on the ground floor which has a reduced menu produced by the same kitchen. We never bothered going up to Vista, the rooftop patio, but it was a busy place based on the number of people lined up to get in.

The room was spacious and quiet - the soundproofing to the outside is stellar. We didn't get any noise from Trafalgar Sq at all which amazed me. Good temperature controls, excellent lighting, a minibar and HD TV. No idea about channels - we only used it to check the weather! :)

The location was amazing. Across the street from the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery, about a 15 min walk to Buckingham Palace, and extremely easy access to the Underground (Charing Cross Station) and loads of buses. We really couldn't have asked for a better location. For the coffee drinkers out there, check out the Cafe Nero just around the corner from the hotel. Coffee was absolutely amazing, and the pastries were always very fresh (unfortunately!)

The crowning glory of our stay had to be the staff, though. From our favourite front desk clerk through the various wait staff who looked after us, and the concierge who took such good care of our stomachs with his dining recommendations - the trip would not have been the same without them. We were welcomed every day when we came in with questions about what we'd seen that day, and usually, offered informed, incredibly appropriate suggestions about other things we could see along those lines. It is so rare to deal with hotel staff that actually know something about their own city; most have never visited the attractions, museums, or venues that most people have come to see or experience. And it was not isolated to one member of staff - it was all of them! Very often, I would see a staff member walk a guest (or random tourist, for that matter!) out of the hotel and down the street so they could point them where they needed or wanted to go! It was a level of hospitality that I haven't ever seen in the many, many hotels I've stayed at, right down to the bell boy who overheard us saying we were staying one night at the airport Hilton and recommended a dining option; he used to work there and had the inside scoop. Bravo, and a huge thank you to everyone who contributed to our stay.

Room Tip: We stayed on the Square side of the building; I'd recommend a lower floor in case there's no...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
MarliSadzinski, Guest Relations Manager at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review.

I am glad our teams make you feel welcome from the moment you arrive.

The Trafalgar Hotel London often has international visitors and to make them feel more at home we offer a wide range of services and our teams are highly praised for the knowledge of the city.

I am glad to hear that this service has been appreciated and your fantastic feedback has been passed on to our teams, and act as a motivator to keep and improve even more the services we are so proud to offer.

I will be delighted to welcoming you in person on your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly prior to your arrival.
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Ultra modern inside for such a historical architecture exterior. This is a wonderful hotel, with excellent service, amazing rooms and bathrooms and the PERFECT location. One step out the door of the hotel, and there is no question that you are in the heart of London with Trafalgar Square right in front of you. It's very easy to walk or take the underground just about anywhere you want to go. Yes, the hotel stay is a little expensive, but I think it's worth it!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much your comments on Trip Advisor.

I am glad to learn that our location, as you mentioned “ in the heart of London” plus the service and quality of our accommodation made your stay with us the most enjoyable.

We hope to have you back at The Trafalgar sometime soon.
Bouremouth, Dorset, UK
Reviewed 12 June 2012

On arrival the reception staff were excellent. Unfortunately as soon as we got out of the lift to things went from disappointing to laughable. We actually did end up in fits of laughter over the the series of events we encountered in this place.

1. We first noticed how poorly lit, the whole place seems to be, particularly the bedrooms, trying to apply makeup was difficult.
2. The poor lighting might be in an effort to cover up the very stained carpets throughout the hotel.
3. There was a distinct smell of poo in the hallways.
4. We tried to make a cup of tea but struggled as the kettle just didnt fit under the taps without a fight!
5. The toilet smelt of urine and we had to ask house-keeping to clean it
6. Working out the lighting system was quite entertaining and none sensical - gave up in the end - they all appeared to be 5 watt bulbs anyway - so didnt make much difference.
7. We tried to put up the funky magnetic 'do not disturb' sign on the room door, but it wouldn't magnetise. We found out later that it is supposed to go on the doorframe (silly us!).
8. At breakfast, asking for a group table threw them into complete panic - all the tables were set for 2 or 4 people only.
9. I asked for toast which never arrived (they were probably still reeling from the table request).
10. The drinks prices, even for London were outrageous. £14 for a G&T in the room and £12 for a cocktail at the bar.

Oh dear - at £250 a room - wont be going back!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Trafalgar Hotel.

We are as you well described a boutique hotel, and our features are our guest like the most about the hotel, simple and unique. I am sorry to learn that is not of your approval.
Our lighting has been designed to be operated from all different parts of the room, and as convenient as possible, our Technical Services regularly checks our rooms to avoid any faults.

Our Do Not Disturb signs are placed, as you mentioned, in a discreet way on the frame door, which you located.

The breakfast team is well prepared to accommodate large groups, and our restaurant layout has been planned to accommodate such requests. On regular basis our tables are set is for 2, 4, 6 people (the majority of requests) but as mentioned above, this can be easily adjusted. We always advise our guests to let us know in advance if larger tables are needed, to avoid any waiting.

Your comments regarding the cleanliness of our hotel have addressed with our Managing Director and also with our Executive Housekeeper, for further investigation.

Last, but not least, I am sorry you did not bring this issues to our attention during your stay, immediate action could have been taken to ensure an enjoyable stay.

I do very much hope that you will take the opportunity to visit us once again to permit me to make amends for your several disappointments.
London
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I absolutley love this hotel! The entrance to this very luxorious hotel is very warm and modern. I was greeted by a very proffesional staff who was most helpful in facilitating my stay. The view was magificant! Right outside my bedroom window was a wonderful view of Trafalgar Square. The location is perfect! Right outside the front entrance is many resturants and stores to meet every travelers needs. I rate this hotel with 5 stars!

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of Trafalgar is what I would recommend
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your 5 stars review.

It is overwhelming to learn that our services, and accommodation combined with the perfect location resulted in a memorable stay.

We thrive on daily basis to deliver the highest levels of service, and it is motivating to learn that our guests perceive and appreciate The Trafalgar experience.

Looking forward to your next visit.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I have for some time wanted to stay at the Trafalgar. What a huge disappointment apart from the location. The check-in was somewhat laborious to say the least. I had booked what was described as a double room plus. I am also a gold card holder and had therefore expected a nice room. The room was rear facing and of very poor quality altogether. The lighting in the bathroom was the worst I have EVER experienced in any hotel anywhere. There was no light anywhere near the sink and mirror. The bath was small and the shower curtain a cheap and horrible plastic texture. There were cracks in a large number of the tiles surrounding the bath which was both unsightly and unhygienic. The hot water was not consistent as the temperature changed all the time and because the bath was rounded at both ends and the shower was obviously above one end of the bath it proved impossible to actually stand under the shower itself.
We left a telephone message asking for a turn down and fresh towels but I had little faith that we would receive them as the phone had rung for 4 minutes without answer and eventually I was asked to leave a message. I therefore asked the front desk for fresh towels when we went out for the evening.If I had not done so then I am sure that we would not have received them. When we returned later that evening there were new towels on the bed but all the used towels were still lying on the bathroom floor.
On checking out we were never asked if our stay had been pleasant which is normally the case.
Taken individually many of these criticisms may appear minor but overall they all add up to a rather poorly run hotel and certainly not the sort of standards one would expect in a 4/5 star hotel
Given the high prices charged I felt completely underwhelmed with the service and attention to detail.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 426.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank colingduncan
MarliSadzinski, Guest Relations Manager at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Trafalgar Hotel on Trip Advisor.

It is disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your time with us and that we did not have the opportunity to address specific issues during your time here.

The boutique, intimate feel of The Trafalgar Hotel is indeed very different to that of most typical hotels but is in fact what most of our regular guests love about this hotel. I am however sorry that this was not to your taste.

Please accept my apologies on behalf of our teams, who on this occasion have not delivered the high standards of service you rightly expect when choosing to stay at The Trafalgar Hotel. Your response have been fully discussed with our teams.

I am sorry that you did not find your experience at The Trafalgar as enjoyable as others on this site did but would like to thank you for your feedback.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Do not hesitate to contact me directly for any assistance.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Well what can I say. Just over a year ago I gave this hotel a glowing 5 star review but that's all changed after my latest experience.

It's a long story which ends with the hotel over-charging me £400 incorrectly and I am still trying to get this resolved weeks later. So be warned, it's a great place to stay until something goes wrong and then no accountability is taken to resolve an issue. The staff and service have also gone down hill rapidly and as very high cost 4 star hotel it's value for money is not so good anymore.

The only good thing about my stay this time was the location of the hotel. It has gone down hill every other way in my estimations and I'll finally be using the rest of my Hilton Honors points and staying with a different hotel group in future.

Email for more details of exactly what went down.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank MartinC2010
Sally B, Guest Relations Manager at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
We are disappointed that we could not speak to you personally regarding your frustrations as it is always our intention to deal with any queries on a personal level over the phone, which helps to resolve any issues quickly and efficiently. We are pleased that the issue has now been resolved following a misunderstanding with Hilton Honors and that we have been able to work closely with our Corporate office to ensure you received a credit.