“Bad hotel, great location” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Trafalgar Hotel

The Trafalgar Hotel
Ranked #349 of 1,089 Hotels in London
United States
“Bad hotel, great location”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Judging on value for money, I'd say this is one of the poorest hotels I've stayed at in recent history. Nice enough room and amazing location, but the service needs a lot of work - it really lets the Hilton name down. Some of the issues I experienced here:

-arrived on a Tuesday morning (I paid for the previous nightt, but checked in at 7am the next day due a flight delay). I had a short sleep, used the shower, made coffee, etc. and left for the day at noon, only to return at 11pm to find my room hadn't been made up, dirty mugs were out, towels were in the bath tub (as requested), etc. When I called up to tell housekeeping that my room hadn't been made up - despite having paid, in full, for the previous 1.5 days in the hotel - no apology or explanation was given.

-on arrival, firstly my reservation was lost and secondly they couldn't cut my keys. It took a good 15 minutes to get it sorted out, which isn't too bad, but feels like forever when you've just come off a 12 hour flight and it's 7am

-on arrival, my bathroom wasn't clean - there were blond hairs and bobby pins on the floor, which weren't cleaned up for another two days

-I ordered wake-up calls twice, both of which came late. Definitely set your alarm if you're cutting it close

-no one at the door on arrival. It was raining, I had four bags and it took me three trips to get in the front door and up the small flight of stairs. No one offered me assistance despite staff being very nearby

The location can't be faulted and the rooms are nice and spacious enough, but I definitely wouldn't return here and wouldn't recommend it - it's a relatively expensive hotel and the service really lets it down. I stayed at 3 other hotels on this trip and this property didn't come close to comparing to the others I stayed at in terms of service.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Christina H, Guest Relations Manager at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for providing your feedback regarding your past stay with us.

After reading your comments I would like to sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you experienced throughout your stay.

I can assure you that I have raised all the points you specified to the Housekeeping Executive and the appropriate action has been taken in order to avoid any re-occurences of this nature in the future. This is not how we opérate at The Trafalgar Hotel and is completely unacceptable.I have also informed the Head Concierge about the struggles you suffered with your luggage upon arrival who has proceeded to instruct a porter to be at the front door at all times. As a valued guest, this kind of service is not what should be expected at our Hotel.

I do understand your frustration but can guarantee this is not how we want our guests to feel after their experience with us. I hope to restore your faith in us again and, therefore, would like to ask you to please contact me personally to handle any future bookings and let us demonstrate how we truly care for our guests.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for anything else I may assist you with.

Christina Hernández
GUest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

We had a few problems with the sink tap and the shaving mirror. The A/C is a little hard to fine tune to get the required balance. The lighting in the hallways are quite dim. We were unable to get a double or queen bed. We had two singles. Maybe not the best hotel for a family. Though the location is excellent which is what drew us to this hotel in the first place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Greetings to Canada!

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor, as we strive to provide the best customer service and always keep in mind our guests concerns.

I would like to sincerely apologize that we haven´t met your expectations, on this occasion, due to the Hotel decor and technical faults you pointed out. I understand that, as valuable guests, you should have stayed in a room which is 100% in its best conditions and can assure you that I have taken these comments very seriously and have already proceeded to inform our Maintenance Team in order to take immediate action and avoid any re-occurences of this nature in the future.

I do understand your frustration but can guarantee this is not how we want our guests to feel after their experience with us. I hope to restore your faith in us again and, therefore, would like to ask you to please contact me personally on your next visit to London to handle any future bookings and let us demonstrate how we truly care for our guests.

Christina Hernanez
Princeton Junction, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Hotel services were just fine but the location was great. We had the breakfast there too which was also fine not spectacular. We did not like the dark hallways with lighting that seemed more appropriate for a night club than a nice hotel. You really are paying for the location not much else.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a raised area so there is one or two steps near the window. It does not really add a...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Azita-1
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to learn that our great location and friendly services contributed to having a good stay with us.

However, I am concerned about the "mood lighting" in the hallways. The Trafalgar is a small boutique hotel and the only non-branded Hilton in the world. Therefore, we offer a slightly different experience to all our guests and reflect that with our service and decor for our guests to enjoy. I do apologize that it was not of your liking.

I do hope this does not discourage you from coming back in the future and I look forward to extending a warm welcome to you!

Christina Hernandez
Hythe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

This property is a long way from the normal Hilton offer and the only other Hilton I have stayed at that compares in facility and type is The Curtis in Denver which is slick and professional and has the guest at 'heart', The Trafalgar is by no means up to that standard, possibly why it carries no Hilton branding.

I booked 3 rooms, all Deluxe Plus, for three August nights and paid a little over GDP 3k for room and breakfast. I knew this when booking.

The position of the hotel is great, and check in was a breeze with friendly staff, we left our bags as the rooms were not ready, but I expected this, so no complaints here. Got to our rooms late afternoon, and we found them cold. Now here lies a tale: the rooms are air conditioned and you cannot open any windows. There is a thermostat that allows you to up the temperature or lower it from the hotel general setting. I upped the temperature to plus 4 but still got cold air. On my way out for the evening I queried this and asked that it got looked at. It obviously did as on my return it had been set to minus 2 degrees. It was seriously cold, so I tried again and got nowhere so I turned it off. Room remained very cold.

Next day, mentioned it again at The Front Desk and was told that it would be looked at again, got back - whilst it had again been looked at, it was still blowing cold.

Spoke again to the Front Desk on the morning of our day 3 to be told that whilst it was possible to lower the temperature it was not possible to raise it in the Summer as the heat function of the A/C had been turned off. Well this answered my questions, I was offered a portable heater. Could have really done with knowing this on day 1, we had arrived direct from Greece and had been used to much higher temperatures so this point might well not be applicable to all who stay there. Worthy of note though, all the front desk staff could do with knowing this.

Beds are the ultra comfortable type that I just love in Hilton, quilts are good. The sound proofing whilst pretty good, doesn't quite stop emergency services sirens and there a lot of them in this part of London at all hours. Got a bit to learn here from the LGW Hilton which is silent and right on the runway.

The walk in showers were a joy to warm up in, but I did think it slightly odd that there was only one arm chair in a double Deluxe plus room, there was more than adequate space for two.

Next up for comment is the hotel bar which is used by many locals and on two nights large areas were cordoned off for non resident parties, left little space for residents and it has loud music, so don't expect a quiet drink here. The Vista rooftop bar which we had been hoping to get access to carries a 5.00 per person entry charge, plus it was totally booked out with non resident parties when we attempted access.

Breakfast is served in the basement and is a buffet, and this is only OK at best, we had to queue each morning and gave up on day 2, I advise you get down there before 0830hrs to avoid the queue.

I am a Gold Hilton member and know their offers well and to be honest this property is not what I have come to expect from them and I left disappointed. I was cold in my room for the most part, and felt that both the Vista and Hotel Bars concentrated on non residents rather than the well being of the residents.

A seriously great position though, and it was this that I needed most I suppose but I will not use this property again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important as we strive to make all our guests comfortable during their stay and have a "home away from home" experience.

I sincerely apologize if you feel that we haven´t met your expectations on this ocassion.

After reading your comments, I can understand your frustration. The fact that the guestroom you stayed in was quite cold and weren´t informed well of the cause is unacceptable and I will personally pass this on to the Reception Team in order to avoid any misunderstandings in the future.

I would also like to mention that The Trafalgar Hotel in the only non-branded Hilton in the World and we, therefore, offer a different experience tan other HIltons and reflect that in our decor and ambiance. I am sorry that this was not of your liking.

As for our Vista Bar, this is open for both in-house and non-residents. We provide a private area only available for our guests although, as it is one of our most popular assets, we cannot guarantee availability for evryone during certain hours in the evening.

Our aim if to provide the best customer service and I am sorry to hear that you would not return. I would like to take this opportunity to ask you to contact me next time you come to London to personally handle your booking in order to restore your faith and demonstrate how we really show our guests we care.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here as part of my birthday trip to London in August 2013 and we were not disappointed.

LOCATION - this hotel is right in the middle of central London. It is located on Trafalgar Square and is a stones throw from Nelsons column and the National Gallery. It is well serviced by public transport and within walking distance to Buckingham Palace, Westminster, Big Ben, the London Eye, Leicester Square, Picadilly Circus, The Strand etc

CHECK IN- The check in was efficient and the girl dealing with us was very pleasant. She wished me happy birthday and asked what our plans were for our visit. She then proceeded to give us a map and some tips of how to reach the restaurant we were eating at in the evening.

ROOM - We were given room 420 which overlooked an office building. It wasn't a view to die for but for the price we paid I wasn't expecting one. The room was rather large, especially so for London hotel rooms. It had a large bed, plenty of storage space and hangers for clothes, robes and slippers, a flat screen TV, minibar, hairdryer, excellent tea/coffee facilities (usually a bug bear of mine that something is missing) there was even earl grey tea and Cadbury hot chocolate! The bed was large and comfortable and the room was nicely decorated. The bathroom was spacious and well stocked with the usual toiletries. The whole room was spotless. Upon entering the room, the hotel had left a slate slab with several chocolates a pot of mousse and a cupcake on with a message saying happy birthday on it. See picture. It was a really nice touch, my OH had told the hotel in advance and this was a little special extra they arranged.

FACILITIES - We were planning on full days of sightseeing so didnt spend too long in the hotel other than to sleep so perhaps did not witness all of the facilities it has to offer. The lobby bar was nice for drinks on an evening, and though pricey, the cocktails were very tasty. A big selling point of this hotel to me is the bar on the roof. It is totally worth a visit. We booked a table as we waited to check in and didn't have any trouble. This was on a Friday evening. The views are superb and there is a really chilled out vibe going on up there. The hotel has a really trendy feel to it. It is right up my street though I can see it might not be to everyone's liking . The music in the lift is a nice touch and I loved the mood lighting in the corridors. There is a luggage room were you can leave things if you need to and the hotel were very accommodating when my husband left his charger at home. They would charge it for him and send it up to the room when it was done which was excellent.

Overall, I think this hotel is perfect. We did get a reasonable deal to stay here at just over £170 per night but still I would really recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your great comments on Trip Advisor.

It is really great to learn we met your expectations during your last visit here at The Trafalgar Hotel and rated us five stars!

I am aware you stayed with us to celebrate a special day and am delighted you enjoyed the special amenities placed in your room!

I am especially glad we were able to make your stay even more memorable with the help of the staff and due to our fabulous location.

I do hope to extend another warm welcome to you in the near future.

Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Reception staff / concierge were very friendly and professional prior to and throughout my stay. The room was nicely decorated and clean, and the bed very comfortable. The triple glazed windows really helped to drown out the sounds of the busy street outside, making for a good night's sleep.
The hotel is in a fantastic location for exploring and the roof-top terrace offers great views although it is very expensive to eat or drink up there.
Breakfast was nice, with plenty of choice. Had it brought to the room one morning for a reasonable tray charge.
I'd highly recommend the hotel as a base for exploring.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your past stay with us.

I am delighted you enjoyed the room decor and had an enjoyable experience with us.

I would like to especially thank you for mentioning the friendly service you received from the Front Office staff and that you would also recommend the property. This is our main goal and I am thrilled to have met your expectations!

We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed a full week in July. The rooms were lovely and the staff very accommodating. The location was perfect. We walked to the theater on four separate evenings. We walked to the Thames and across to the National Theater. The tube was a very short distance away. As Hilton Gold members, we were given a full breakfast every day. We loved everything about this hotel.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for posting your great feedback on Trip Advisor.
We are thrilled to have read you scored The Trafalgar with five stars which is the highest level!
It’s great to know that the comfortable rooms and location contributed to making your stay very enjoyable.
We would like to especially thank you for mentioning the staff. We strive to provide our guests with a "home away from home" experience and are delighted to know we have met your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.