“Great location!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #348 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Prestwich, England, United Kingdom
“Great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed at The Trafalgar for one night on a trip to London to go to see The Bodyguard (excellent!) and also for me to propose to my girlfriend (now fiancée!). The hotel is in a great location and, in Tom, has a fantastic Head Concierge. Tom helped to facilitated the proposal and really made the weekend!
The room (superior)was a nice size and the bed enormous (2 x 3ft mattresses) and very comfortable.
Breakfast was good for a buffet breakfast (we had the cooked).
The view from the Vista rooftop bar is brilliant - watch though as it is closed during the winter months so worth checking that it's going to be open for your visit as it's well worth going just for that.
Would we stay again? Definitely if we wanted to be based in that part of London. We'd go in the summer next time though so we can have a drink whilst enjoying the view - and not worry about the proposal in my case! :-)

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Christina H, Guest Relations Manager at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest,

It´s fabulous to know that you stayed at The Trafalgar for such a special occasion!

I am thrilled to hear that you and your now fiancée enjoyed the guestroom we carefully allocated and that you were able to propose at Vista.

As you mentioned, it is closed for the season but will reopen next year for Spring.

I am glad to hear that Tom was especially helpful! I have already passed on your kind feedback to him.

On behalf of the staff, we are looking forward to your stay with us again! Please contact me should I be of any further assistance.

christina.hernandez@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

the hotel proved to be very conveniently located to move around both walking and by tube, very close to theatreland, soho and covent garden. The room was quite big and silent, the bed large and comfortable. Breakfast was satisfactory and staff helpful and kind

Saludos a España!

Thank you for rating The Trafalgar with four stars!

I am delighted you commented on our great central location, which is one of our best assets, and comfortable guestrooms!

I would especially like to thank you for mentioning our helpful and kind staff. We aim to provide exceptional customer service and strive to make all our guests have a great experience with us!

On behalf of the team and I, we are looking forward to welcoming you again!

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

My wife and I took a trip back to London where we studied and worked and wanted to be in a convenient location to save us all the troubles. Prior to staying at Trafalgar Hotel, we actually spent 2 nights at St. Martin's Lane Hotel before and found it to be small and not worth the money we paid for.

Thanks to friends and reviews on TripAdvisor, we actually found Trafalgar Hotel which is in pretty much the same location (actually at a quieter corner and away from some drunks of West End).

Although we didn't ask, it felt like the hotel went through a reason renovation (probably to keep up with modern days...) as the hotel and rooms have old-style high ceilings and more spacious than what you would usually get in newer hotels near the same area.

The reception area was small and not very grand, however, reasonably fast and convenient. There is a buzzing lobby bar that seem to attract a lot of business people around the area during lunch and after work hours.

The best part was the location itself, however, the room itself came a close second. We didn't expect to be offered such good sized room after the experience in the other hotel near by. Though by not means like a newly built room, it was clean and functional and best of all, at a decent size. It was a pleasant change from the suffocating feeling we experienced before in a much smaller room.

Overall, the hotel offers a much better value for money in an extremely attractive location compared to some others in proximity. If you want a decent stay in a decent size hotel without having to splash out at one of the bigger and more expensive 5* hotels, this is a good choice for you!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
E Yorks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Unexpectedly had to stay an extra night in London on business.

This hotel had rooms and did not want the fortune being charged elsewhere.

I had a large, spacious room with separate seating area while my colleague got a smaller room which made him quite jealous of mine as both rooms had cost the same.

Part of the luck of the draw and something to be expected at the last minute and in a hotel in an old building. More than happy with the room and the common areas are modern.

The lift was interesting as it has 'mood lighting' but overall happy with the standard.

Nothing however can beat the location with Trafalgar Square right on the doorstep which allowed us to go out for a meal and have a wonder round some of the nearby bars.

Found out too late that there is a rooftop bar which I will definitely check out next time I stay here in London as I can only imagine the views being great.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Christina H, Guest Relations Manager at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor, we very much appreciate your time.

I am delighted you enjoyed the guestroom which was allocated to you for your stay and also mentioned our superb central location.

Our Vista Rooftop Bar is now closed for the season and will open next year. I am looking forward to welcoming you again by this time so you can enjoy the fantastil views!

Best wishes,

alexandria, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

The staff is great, the location is great, the room itself is ok. The hotel is very central to everything and has all the standard amenities of a Hilton. The rooms are the standard and pretty small for $700 a night.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Christina H, Guest Relations Manager at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to rate The Trafalgar with four stars regarding your recent stay with us.

I am delighted you pointed out our fabulous location, which is one of our best assets, and our helpful staff.

Our goal is to provide exceptional customer service and I am glad you had an enjoyable experience with us.

I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we are currently refurbishing the Hotel and I am sure you will be very pleased with the result.

I do hope to be able to welcome you again in the near future.

Congleton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I am very cross. I rang up to cancel because I was sick. It was accepted but obviously not recorded and I was not given a cancellation number. They charged me for a night as a no-show. When I rang up and explained they would not relent. I shall not be going there again. I have been several times before and like its position.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tina T
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review.

I was disappointed to read your comments and please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced regarding the cancellation of your booking.

I understand you have been charged a night’s rate as it went on “No Show”. The Hotel automatically does this if we do not receive any type of confirmation, on behalf of the guest, wanting to cancel the booking.

In your case, you have mentioned that you did contact the Hotel but no cancellation number was issued to you by the staff member. I would like to reassure you that this is very relevant information which is always passed on to our guests as it is proof that the cancellation has gone through correctly.

I would like to apologise again for the frustration this has caused you and, hopefully, you will reconsider returning to The Trafalgar.

Best wishes

Liechtenstein
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Although this hotel gave a very good first impression (location, reception, bar, corridors are very good), when I got the the room my opinion changed drastically. This is a renovated hotel, and it looks like they spent most of their money for renovation in the corridors and reception. The room was always cold (with noisy air heating only solving it partially)

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Saludos a España!

Thank you for stating your concerns on Trip Advisor.

At The Trafalgar, we take our guests feedback very seriously in order to improve our services.

We strive to meet all our valuable guests expectations, which is why I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we are refurbishing the majority of the Hotel.

As you mentioned, we have already refurbished the hallways and also the reception area. therefore, we are now painting the guestroom walls and are going to start changing the carpet in all guestrooms.

Please understand that this does take time although I would like to suggest that you contact me, if youare planning to return to London, so I may allocate one of our refurbished rooms.

I am sure you will be very pleased.