“Great staff”

Ranked #361 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great staff”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

At the Trafalgar Hotel we experienced some really great staff. Team member Austin arranged for soft drinks while we waited just a few minutes for our room to be ready. They were attentive and cautious regarding my daughter's food allergies. A lobby bar team member (sadly, I didn't make note of his name) even sent a snack to our room for her because she couldn't eat the chips (fries) in the restaurant. And one front desk team member, Ibby, came to our room to fix a snowy TV rather than have us wait for maintenance. Five stars for the staff. The hotel itself is great for the younger, hipster crowd. The bar area is pretty vibrant in the evening (read noisy). The rooms are large and great for a family. The two queen bed room is the typical size of an American hotel room. The common areas are renovated but the rooms feel a bit dated, not bad - just not recently updated. Hence, the four star overall rating.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CLC07
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our Hotel on TripAdvisor and for your kind words regarding Austin and Ibby.

I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

Ben Deane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We booked to stay at this hotel for my 30th Birthday and had been looking forward to it for some time, I have to say we were not disappointed. On arrival we were made to feel very welcome and dropping our bags off before check in so we could make the most of London was no problem at all. We had a beautiful room over looking the square. I also received a complimentary selection of cakes as a birthday gift which went down a treat! If you have a room over looking the Square expect to hear some road noise but this is to be expected if staying somewhere so central. We would defiantly stay at the hotel again.

1 Thank Laura P
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much fro taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. I was glad to see that you enjoyed your birthday and that we were able to make it even more special for you.

I hope to welcome you back very soon!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Don't get me wrong.... This by no means is a shabby hotel at all.... But the location is outstanding, the arquitecture beautiful but the service was average.... ok I was there with a Huge group of people... we must have been some out overwhelming but the rooms were small, the food was average, except for the slow roasted herbed chicken they had at that time which was superb....! And i didn't get to enjoy any of the amenities.... So try it out and see.... who knows maybe its a lost gem....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tracy Y
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was disappointed to see that your stay was not up to your expectations. I do hope that you return to our hotel and have the opportunity to experience everything our hotel has to offer.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This has got to be one of the best locations for a city hotel anywhere. The Traflgar is a Hilton but it has its own unique styling and this theme is carried through from the lobby to the lifts to the bedrooms. The rooms are a decent size and there's a large bathroom with shower and bath. Despite the central location opposite Traflgar Square, the rooms are well soundproofed and I got a good night's sleep. Altogether it is a high four star standard although a bit on the pricy side. Staff were friendly and professional throughout and breakfast was above average.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front offer great views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank PhilofEnglandLondon
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Trafalgar on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back very soon!

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This is a great hotel if you want to be close to everything in London. I stayed at this hotel 10 years ago and it made an impression on me back then. It is a minimalist hotel in the sense that the rooms are designed in a minimalist fashion. However; the rooms are really small by any standards, especially as it relates to London hotels. Bathroom was well appointed and also with a minimalist design...very cool.

The food at the hotel was ok...the breakfasts on the weekend were very good. The dining area is not all that large so pay attention to the friendly notes the staff leaves you regarding the best time to secure breakfast. We were downstairs by 9 on Saturday and Sunday and never had to wait.

The bar that you walk thru to get to the reception area is really nice...and the staff were truly amazing. The music that played continuously at the bar was really nice...house music with class.

Despite an active bar scene, there was never any noise heard in the upstairs rooms...I was on the third floor.

Though this is a hilton hotel, the hotel really does not ever let you think you are in a hilton property...the trafalgar, unlike other hilton properties utilizes different soaps and shampoos than the other hiltons....just a funny little add to this review.

Oh, the Charing Cross tube station is less than two blocks from the hotel...very convenient.

Did I mention great staff...these folks seem to actually enjoy their jobs.

If you can get past that this is right on Trafalgar Square, you should give this hotel a stay. I travel to London 4-6 times a year, I will definitely stay at the Trafalgar Hotel when I travel to London again in 2 months.

L

3 Thank Tom2727
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I was very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and that you are planning to return in two months!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Excellent in many, many ways. From customer services to rooms and locations, we had no complains. Awesome location, very near entrance to charing cross and walking distance to big attractions such as Trafalgar Square, Leicester square, Westminster etc.
definitely would be our accommodation of choice on next trips!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Essex
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We have just returned from an overnight stay, having travelled up from Essex to see a show down The Strand. .If you are looking for somewhere close to Theatreland & all that London can offer then The Trafalgar is perfect, located on the corner of the Square and literally just a short walk from everything - and it has style. But now the "not so good bits":
The stated check In time is 3pm, However, when we arrived we were told our room would not be ready until 3.30pm....but we could be "upgraded" to a room that was ready - for an extra £30.00.(Err, thanks but no thanks, that is just trying to get me pay more.)
Anyway,we came back at 3.30pm & indeed our room was now ready. It was only after we had been in the room for a while that we came to the conclusion that Room 410 obviously hadn't been used for a while, or has got a bit of a problem with the shower drain - as the walk in shower cubicle in the bathroom (NO BATH) had a terrible smell. You can't open windows in Hotels these days so the only option was to keep the bathroom door closed for the entire stay and this overcame the problem. Room carpet could also do with a bit of TLC as there was a massive stain on the way in.
To be fair though, the room was very well equipped & had everything you could want.
You will either love or hate the lifts - no to everybody's taste. Bit like a cross between being in an undertakers & a a nightclub!!
Can't comment on the breakfast etc as we were on room only basis. (There are great places to get breakfasts nearby, for a lot less the hotels charge.)
So to sum up, certainly not a bad place to stay, but to be honest I don't think we'd stay here again For roughly the same price both The Royal Horseguards or Rubens at The Palace are just a bit better.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was glad to see that you enjoyed our location and it made your night hassle free. I was disappointed to see that you had some issues with your room. I would like to assure you that I have passed your comments on to our Chief Engineer and he has assured me that all points raised will be addressed immediately.

I hope that you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations and that you return to our hotel very soon.