“Now that's a refreshing change”

The Trafalgar Hotel
Ranked #357 of 1,067 Hotels in London
North West
“Now that's a refreshing change”
Reviewed 29 September 2009

Stayed with my wife for her birthday and what a fantastic surprise. From the moment we checked in at 9.30 a.m. the team were fantastic and service excellent. Roof terrace for a cool beer and glass of wine, very generous room with a view of Trafalgar Square, and fantastic buffet breakfast the next morning. We'll definitiely return.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
TrafalgarTrooper09, Guest Relations Manager - Rashida at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2009
Thank you for your review, I am glad that we managed to have a room prepared for your early arrival. We would love to have you back as our loyal and valued guests of the Trafalgar, see you soon. Regards, Rashida

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide
Reviewed 22 September 2009

What a joy after a long trip from Australia to arrive at such a clean, modern, service orientated hotel.

Our deluxe room which was very large, minimalist, but extremely tasteful overlooked Trafalgar Square.

You are right in the middle of London at this hotel which makes most things accessible by foot.

The breakfast is the best in Europe with plenty of friendly staff who remember you and your food/beverage preferences throughout your stay.

The only negative was that the roof top garden bar is so popular that unless you get there at the right time, and if there are not any private functions on then you cannot enjoy the most spectacular view of London.

Overall this hotel is an absolute gem. Well done Hilton Hotels for this little beauty.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dewingsue
TrafalgarTrooper09, Guest Relations Manager - Rashida at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2009
Thank you for choosing our hotel….all the way from Australia :-)
Nice to read your comments and certainly pleased that we were able to be of service to you. Our breakfast team are indeed a really great bunch and get to know our guests as much as possible to create that ‘home away from home’ feel during their stays.

Our roof top bar is indeed a very popular and unique space. There may be evenings where we reach capacity during evenings of nice weather. During our general evening opening hours, our guests staying at the hotel would always receive priority admission over any visiting guests. Our roof bar is currently also open everyday for our lunch…..a great time to get up there and take in the ‘spectacular views’ of the immediate area. As with our evening opening times, we may close the roof during periods of bad weather.

We really enjoyed having you stay as a guest with us; we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel. A BIG THANK YOU for taking your time to write about your experience with us……see you soon.
Washington D.C.
Reviewed 20 September 2009

I stayed here for five days in mid-September and had a great time. You cannot ask for a better location. As soon as you step outside, you have London in front of your eyes. Trafalgar Square is where the action is and the "hub" to getting to the major sights. There are a handful of streets that intersect right near the hotel and taking any of them will take you to a major sight. The Charing Cross station entrance is extremely close.

I arrived early (around 9am) and was given a room right away so I could catch up on some sleep after a long overnight flight. The concierge, Sam, was extremely helpful and was able to book a tour for me (Windsor, Bath, and Stonehenge - Excellent Tour), answer numerous questions that I had, and helped me book transportation back to Heathrow.

The rooms themselves are nice and well appointed; you won't be disappointed with the room and will notice most amenities are present and accounted for. I was offered my choice of a daily paper and the room was cleaned rather quickly when I put out the "Clean My Room" sign.

For your convenience there are many coffee shops, an ATM, a Tesco, and a 24 hour store to purchase drinks and sandwiches right near the hotel. There is a bar inside the hotel which was pretty lively when I walked every night. There is also a roof bar, but I didn't go up there.

Everyone at this hotel was friendly and the hotel itself in great condition. If you have the budget (I was on a free stay via HHonors Points), I'd strongly recommend staying here. It isn't cheap but the location cannot be beat.

Tip: Go to the Tesco and pick up a Cadbury chocolate bar. It tastes a lot different (very tasty; very creamy) compared to chocolate within the United States.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
TrafalgarTrooper09, Guest Relations Manager - Rashida at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2009
Thank you for the great review and indeed for staying with us over your 5 days in London. It seems that Sam managed to keep you busy with all the wonderful things to do in and around London. I have passed on your great feedback to our housekeeping department; it’s always nice to hear when such service is mentioned that may often be overlooked by many.

Our location of course is second to none with so much to do and see in the local area.

Once again, thank you very much for your review. We look forward to seeing you again soon on your next ‘chocolate stocking’ trip to London! ;-)
Colorado
Reviewed 18 September 2009

My wife and I spent two nights at the Trafalgar using our points last week. The hotel is a stone's throw away from the Charing Cross station on the Tube. Inside the hotel is a modern lobby with the bar and restaurant all folded right in.

We had a room facing Nelson's Column, the Square and the National Gallery. It made for quite the view out of the window. However, with the view came the price: traffic, car horns and the endless police and ambulance sirens throughout the night. Literally, all night. If you are light sleeper, I'd recommend NOT getting a room facing the square.

As with most rooms in London, it was somewhat small. However, we just needed a shower and a bed as we were out exploring all day. The bathroom was in need of an update, but again; it served its purpose.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. They did get slightly bitter when my wife brought in a sandwich to the bar/lobby area. This was after I bought my 13 pound whiskey. They stated it was against health code or something to that effect. I think they want you to buy the 7pound item off their menu, not the 3 pound sandwich from around the corner. We just packed up our food and drink and went to the room.

In all we'd recommend the Hotel.

***Oh, check your email account in the days leading up to your visit. They had sent us a dinner and drink promo, but we didn't learn about it until AFTER our stay!***

Cheers!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
TrafalgarTrooper09, Guest Relations Manager - Rashida at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2009
Thank you both for choosing to stay with us using you Hilton HHonors reward points, I trust you had a safe flight home back to the USA.

From your comments, it seems that street noise has been highlighted as a slight area of dissatisfaction. As a hotel, we do recognise this as one of the most important factors (if not the most) in terms of guest comfort. I totally understand your concerns and only wish that this would have been brought to our attention during your stay. Did you perhaps have your windows opened by one of our staff members? I am aware that our double –glazed windows are quite effective relative to the expected noise levels for a hotel in our location. In terms of your room allocated to you during your stay, I would be happy to add this information to your requests by way of you Hilton HHonors profile. This would be useful for any future stays and would be specific only to our property.

I am glad you had the opportunity to try one of our many whiskies from our ‘Upper Rockwell’ bar. Our staff member may have made a mention of the sandwich as not only are we a licensed premises and food outlet, we also follow certain health and safety practices which we must follow consistently. I am sure that you would appreciate that when customers visit certain places to eat or drink, it is not usual practice to consume items purchased elsewhere.

Our room sizes are on average bigger than most typical hotel room sizes in London; this is something which our guests also comment upon frequently. A shame that you missed the opportunity to take up the offer for our dinner menu promotion. Our information emails are sent out with a minimum of 2 days in advance of your stay. In most cases, our guests are sent the emails a week ahead of their stay.

Once again thank you both for staying with us and I hope to see you again soon.
Rotterdam
Reviewed 18 September 2009

Wow, from arrival to departure only kind and informing people to greet you! Have been in many other hotels in London, but if you should/can choose, take this one. (I travel a lot in the far east and am used to the kindness and cooperative people at hotels, have not found that earlier in London, we Europeans are to 'cold') It was a surprise to enter these premises and was overwhelmed with kindness by the staff, from bar-keepers to management. This made my stay a lot better then usual. Next time in London, they can except me back. PS normally I don't write reports, I only read them, but this hotel made me change my mind!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
TrafalgarTrooper09, Rashida- Guest Relations Manager at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2009
A BIG THANK YOU for taking the time to write your review and of course for giving our hotel a try. It was indeed a pleasure to have welcomed you to our hotel for your first stay with us.

The important thing about the Trafalgar is that we certainly value our guest and endeavour to recognise and engage with our guests at any opportunity. We truly appreciate your time and look forward to being of service to you on the occasion of your next business trip to London. See you soon!
Kingston upon Thames
Reviewed 5 September 2009

I stopped here for a night for a change, even though I would normally head home, so I could pretend to be a tourist not a local for once. I had low expectations of a chain hotel off Trafalgar Square, tourist trap, over priced, soulless. Well, what a surprised, it was none of these. I arrived late and the welcome was swift, warm and very professional. The staff were very friendly and the reception layout is very inviting. The hotel is stylish and modern, and you had that grand destination buzz. <

The room continued from this great start, being very spacious, huge bed and great bathroom. The bay window with views out to Nelson`s Column was a real treat, even for someone who had seen it so many times. The pillows were not feather, and I fancied some feather ones, so called the reception and a full set of feather ones arrived in 10 minutes. After a night out with a few drinks, the prompt answer by the night staff at the door was welcome. The sleep was excellent, as despite being in the centre of the city, the sound proofing was great and the room very quiet.

The breakfast was great, and had I not had a lunch booking, I might have really pigged out. Only downer was that they didn't bring out the pot of tea promised, but I could have prompted them again and didn't, so can't hold it against them. I got a good price by booking in advance, and had worried I would get poor quality due to the lower price (for London!), but I feel that I got one of the best stays possible, and at the price, exceptional value.

I sometimes worry these reviews are not genuine, or from people who might not know what the local quality could be. Take it from someone who lives in London, this I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
TrafalgarTrooper09, Rashida - Guest Relations Manager at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2009
Hi KingstonPhil,

Glad you managed to give our hotel a try…..a good experience overall it seems. It was actually great to read your review; nice to hear that we delivered over and above your expectations.

Please come back and I promise that YOU WILL get that long awaited pot of tea!
London
Reviewed 1 September 2009

As a seasoned business traveller I have experienced hotels all over the world and The Trafalgar has to rank as one of my favourite hotels anywhere! I recently stayed here for a special birthday and the staff were wonderful, the room was amazing with great views to nelson's column and the breakfast complete with live music was stunning. I recommend this hotel very highly.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
A very BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY! We are pleased that you enjoyed your special celebration with us. As both a business guest and indeed seasoned traveller, your experienced opinion is really valued.

Please do come back and see us soon and do be sure to contact us on the occasion of your next stay in London.