“A Mixed Review”

Ranked #404 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Maryland
“A Mixed Review”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My niece and I stayed here a couple of weeks ago. This hotel's biggest asset is its location in the Paddington train station (for the Tube, trains in/out of London, and the Heathrow Express to Heathrow airport). Paddington station is a major transportation hub and therefore has several dining options (a Starbucks is connected to the lobby of the hotel) and a number of other shopping venues (the Paddington Bear store is really cute!). There is a Marks & Spencer food store as well as a grocery store. This makes shopping for snacks, meals, and small souvenirs quite convenient.

The Hilton at Paddington station is, as best I can describe it, a BIG OLD dinosaur. The building is very old but the public areas are nicely refurbished in an attempt for old world elegance. We had access to the Executive Club (on the 1st floor) for snacks and drinks and I have no complaints about the Executive Club. There were a variety of snacks (hot and cold), the coffee was actually good, and the staff was friendly and professional.

I had reservations for one of the smaller terrace suites. The Hilton has several categories of terrace suites and our initial room, #642, was a single room with a terrace and bath. Do not choose this room if you are claustrophobic or if there are two of you. The problem is this: There is a large flat screen TV that is mounted on a pole at the foot of the bed. This forces you to lie in bed if you want to watch TV. We also thought that the TV placement could pose a hazard if you get out of bed quickly in the middle of the night (the room is so small that the area between the bed and the walls is very, very narrow). Placing the TV on a pole like this makes the room feel even smaller than it really is. For approximately $500/US dollars a night, I wanted to be more comfortable.

After expressing my concerns to the gentleman at the front desk (who was very helpful) I was offered other terrace suites (for a significant additional cost, of course) and I was allowed to visit the rooms before I made my decision (accompanied by a bell captain). We moved next door to #643 (the Muirgold Suite). This is a two room suite with living room area, bedroom, and bath with a very large terrace and for my troubles we were given complimentary hot breakfast each day. The breakfast selection in the hotel restaurant was very nice and varied with a wonderful self-service pancake machine!

Caution #1: The room rates at the Hilton include all taxes. However, if you upgrade to a more expensive room you will have to pay the tax on the cost differential. I thought this was sneaky. And, if you plan to claim VAT refund at the airport you can only claim taxes on hotels if you are traveling on business (make sure you book a business package rate so that this is listed on your receipt).

Caution #2: The Muirgold Suite is on the 6th floor of the hotel and you will wind through several corridors to get there as well as a set of steps. This could be tough depending how much luggage you have.

Next, I will rate the Muirgold Suite by its pros, cons, & oddities:

Pros:

• Lots of room to spread out
• Flat screen TVs in both living room and bedroom
• Nice views from the terrace
• Comfortable bed (firm mattress)
• Mini bar (which means you have a refrigerator in the room. If you take things out to make room to store your own snacks you will get charged for the items – even if they are sitting on top of the Minibar. I took a picture of the items to show the front desk that I had not consumed anything and the charges were removed from my bill).

Cons:

• The suite is showing lots of wear and tear. There was a big rip in the wall paper behind one chair. You really don't expect this level of shabbiness in a room where you are paying almost $800/US dollars a night.

• The water pressure in the bathroom is iffy and neither of us could figure out how to turn on the shower head.

• The central AC/Heating unit is unique from all of the other rooms in the building (so I was told) and we could never figure out how to regulate the heat. That is, the problem was either the heat was on (full blast) which meant that the room got so hot it was unbearable (we cooled the room by opening the terrace doors) or it was completely off. We could not find a happy medium. I asked for maintenance. I tip my hat off to Michael, who tried very hard, several times to fix the heating unit, but was unsuccessful. He did try, but he also left dirty, sooty, fingerprints all over the ceiling where the access panel is located. Housekeeping did not bother to clean these off. Note to Hilton: I understand that there is only have one engineering/maintenance person on duty from 6:00pm to 6:00am. In a hotel with hundreds of rooms….really?

• In the Muirgold Suite you will hear construction noises coming from Paddington station. The first night we thought the loud banging noise was coming from a headboard in one of the adjacent rooms but after awhile we figured out that this was not the cause of the noise. One of the staff at the front desk later told me that work/construction happens at Paddington station during the night when train service has stopped and that the sound echoes through the pipes, etc. of the Hilton. Be forewarned, the banging noise is very, very loud and it will disturb your sleep.

• No free Wifi in the guest rooms.

Oddities:

• The large terrace had only 1 table with 4 chairs, two lounge chairs, and two small cube tables. The dimensions of the terrace furniture were off. That is, they were much too small for the size of the terrace. I think it could be a lovely space if proper terrace furniture was placed there. Granted, it was November and we weren't planning on lounging on the terrace in cold weather but it seemed to be a waste of space.

• The ceilings of the suite (in both the living room and the bedroom) have skylights with louvered blinds. The blinds do close, but light comes in around the blinds between the blinds and the molding. This means that if you want complete darkness you will not get it in this room.

• There is a control panel for the lights and it is very confusing. Instead of "on" and "off" switches there are confusing buttons that say "Scene 1", "Scene 2", "Master off", "Room On", etc. I think we figured out that Scene 1 would dim the lights but nothing else made any sense and there were no instructions in the room.

In conclusion, I would stay at the Hilton Paddington station again mainly because of the fact that it is such a great strategic point to operate from while visiting the city. The location is so convenient this outweighs anything that irritated me. However, I will not shell out the money for a terrace suite again and will choose one of the smaller, less expensive rooms.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Mark R, General Manager at Hilton London Paddington, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Taylor1993. Thank you for taking the time to write an extensive report on your stay. Your comments have been very informative and I have reviewed them with my Department Heads to see on where we can improve. We look forward to being able to welcome you back on your next stay to London. Kind regards Mark.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Very good located but expensive and poor in quality. Located in Paddington Station, where you arrive with the Heathrow Express. However this is used for charging high prices for everything (accomodations as well as room service and so on) while the quality is mediocre

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Klaus B
Dear Klaus B. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I was disappointed to read that whilst appreciating our very central location, you felt that you did not receive value for money. I would be very happy to discuss this with you in more detail and would ask that you send me further information so that I may be able to address your concerns in more detail. Kind regards Mark.
Minneapolis, United States
Reviewed 18 November 2013

What Hilton calls a "King Size Bed" was actually two twins pushed together with a protruding and very uncomfortable ridge right down the middle of the bed. And, the in-room wireless, for which they charge a hefty price was so slow it was useless.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Lance R
Dear Lance R. Thank you for your feedback on your stay. Your comments are important to us as we have not previously had any negative feedback on our Hollywood Twin beds. Whilst we only have a few of these bed types, we are now looking at how better to ensure that our guests have a comfortable stay when staying in these rooms. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back when your travels next bring you to London. Kind regards Mark.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Actually you get free wifi if you're a HH gold or platinum member, and if you're there on business your company probably picks up the tab, so it's only the poor old tourist or occasional traveller that gets fleeced directly. This rather soured the impresssion of my stay which otherwise was pretty good. The location is excellent, my room was spacious, well appointed and clean with good quality bed linen and towels. Reception was so so. I was surprised it wasn't slicker but there were no problems. Having to evacuate at 6.30am probably wasn't the hotel's fault but that could have been slicker as well. To emerge into a side street in one's pyjamas after walking down 4 flights of stairs to find no member of staff to direct you where to go next or to give a clue as to what was happening was pretty unprofessional. Bottom line tho' - would I stay there again? Yes.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Anne001_12
Dear Anne001_12. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. It would appear that overall you had enjoyed your stay with the exception of the Wi-Fi cost. Your comments have been noted and I am working with our suppliers to gain better understanding on how we might be able to further reduce this charge. In the mean time, I would encourage you to take advantage of our free Wi-Fi in the public areas for the downloading of personal emails and basic usage. Kind regards Mark.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

This was our last night of a 2 week vacation. Stayed in an executive room which was spacious and gives you access to the well stocked lounge for happy hour and breakfast. The extra cost did seem worth it. The shops at Paddington station provide an opportunity for last minute shopping and are entered through the back of the hotel.
This hotel is in a busy neighborhood but was still fairly quiet for light sleepers like me.
Heathrow Express is 1 minute away in the station.

• Stayed October 2013
Mark R, General Manager at Hilton London Paddington, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear doclinda65. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Hilton London Paddington. The team and I were delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your stay with us and that you slept well. We look forward to seeing you again, when you are next flying to London. Kind regards Mark.
Urbana, Illinois
Reviewed 13 November 2013

In October we stayed 6 nights at the Paddington, the former Great Western Hotel at Paddington Rail Station. Hilton took over the management in the early 2000s and remodeled but kept the beautiful architectural details. We enjoyed a large,quiet room decorated in art deco style. Because we were awarded Executive Club privileges, we ate breakfast and early evening hors d'oeuvres in a pleasant lounge looking out at the rail station's interesting interior. The food and service were excellent in the lounge, and the staff members throughout the hotel were pleasant and very helpful. The location of the hotel was perfect for us. Having landed at Terminal 5 at Heathrow, we rode the 15 minute nonstop Heathrow Express from Terminal 5 to Paddington Rail Station. After walking a few feet we took an escalator to the hotel. When we wanted to ride the underground transit system, we rode an elevator two levels down to reach several train lines of the underground system. It was perfect and eliminated a hassle with luggage and other means of transportation. The hotel is ideal for visiting London.

Room Tip: The Executive Lounge access is excellent.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Joan36806. Thank you for your wonderful review. The team and I were delighted to hear that we were able to make your trip to London even more enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards Mark.
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed at the London Paddington for 2 nights in an Executive Room with Lounge access. It was well worth paying the extra for. Room was large and very comfortable. Large bathroom with bath and separate shower. Our room was at the front of the hotel and room was quiet.
All members of staff were very friendly but Steven the Concierge and the Executive Lounge staff deserve a special mention for their level of service.
Heathrow Express took less than 15 minutes to take us right to the hotel which is accessible from the train station. Paddington tube station is directly facing the hotel and taxis
Executive Lounge provide a good complimentary breakfast and a wide variety of hot and cold snacks throughout the day. Complimentary drinks were served from 6pm - 8pm.
Wi-Fi was available free in the Lounge and public areas.
Nipa Thai restaurant is approximately 10 minutes walk away and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Book Executive Rooms with Lounge access.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear OCT04, Thank you for your report. The team and I were delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us and obviously I was happy to hear that Steve and the Executive Lounge team made your stay even more enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards Mark.