“Great Location, Friendly Staff but.....”
Review of Leigh House Hotel

Leigh House Hotel
Ranked #322 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed at the Leigh House Hotel for 3 nights as a group of 9 who were in London celebrating my friends 30th Birthday, and all of us have different opinions about the rooms we stayed in!

All of us agreed that the hotel was in a fantastic location - only 5/10 mins from Kings Cross and well within walking distance to Soho/Covent Garden/Oxford Street. Tube is also close at hand for those who prefer not to walk so much! There is a great selection of eating places at the nearby Brunswick Shopping Centre. The staff were very friendly and the cooked breakfast, along with choices of cereals, yoghurts and fruit juices, was brilliant!!!!

All of the rooms were quite small. My husband (room 7) and I didn't find this to be much of a problem, the bed was comfy and the bathroom was clean with a good shower. We didn't get any street noise as this room faced the back, but we did hear the subway, even on the first floor. We also appeared to have an asthmatic pigeon that took up residence outside our window! :)

Some of our party were in the 'Family' room, which us on the basement level. The youngest, who is 6 years old, was staying in this room so the noise of the subway and the fact that the toilet was located down the hall from the room was less than ideal. We did find it a bit strange that the 'Family' room was the only room that if a child was to go to the toilet, they were unable to get back in to their room without the door key. The adults staying in this room also commented that their daughter was unable to close the door to the toilet herself as it was quite stiff and that the light was too high for her to reach.

We had another two rooms (5 and 10). Reports from room 10 were that they were very happy with the hotel, no complaints at all!

Room 5 suffered from street noise, especially on the Friday and Saturday nights. There were a couple of other problems with this room, the window and the door both wouldn't shut at points throughout the weeeknd, but the hotel dealt with these.

Overall, I would say that hotel was really good, so long as you get a room facing the back and do not have to take the room in the basement. I would stay here again based on the location, the staff and the breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is located to the back of the hotel as the street can get very noisy, especially...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ljriddick
There are newer reviews for Leigh House Hotel

Reviewed 24 April 2012

The Leigh House Hotel is situated about 5 minutes away from Euston and 10 minutes from St Pancras / Kings Cross so well situated for many mainline, tube and international train stations. The rooms are clean but compact, the room I stayed in did not suffer from the street noise other reviewers have mentioned however when checking out I did overhear another guest asking to move rooms due to the noise so it can be an issue. Breakfast is included and you have a choice of the traditional cooked breakfast or cereal or fruit so loads of choice. Overall if I was looking for somewhere in London for an overnight stay I would consider this hotel but if it was more than a night I would maybe look elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The room was clean and the staff were friend, breakfast was ok. For the price it wasn’t bad.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Good location, great decoration of the rooms. However, my room (ground floor just behind reception) was very, very noisy, mostly with street level noise.

Breakfast didn't start until 7.30 and I had to leave early, so I didn't have a chance to taste it, but is included in the price.

Room Tip: ask for a room not on the ground floor!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2012

At Leigh House, wifi and breakfast are included for a very reasonable price. The hotel is easy to find (actually on corner of Leigh and Marchmont street), right close to the Eurostar, British Museum, the student area, and all the great shops and restaurants in Bloomsbury.

The staff are really welcoming, as has been noted by virtually every reviewer, and all in all its a great find. My company normally puts me in a hotel 4x the price, and they charge for internet, so I shall definitely see if I can use Leigh House instead.

One small complaint - my room... It is tiny (but that is fine - this is London and the price for an en-suite was very reasonable), but also a bit noisy since it was just behind the reception, and also onto the street, which is quiet in of itself, but what noise there is does come through. Next time I will request a different room, and perhaps management could double glaze or take measures to reduce the noise in that particular room. .

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank senti2comun
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I read the review TheTitch wrote recently and I feel there is nothing else to add but fully agree with every single word! Btw an excellent, detailed review :). The thing is that it all boils down to what you need and expect. The facts are that the hotel is at a great location, the staff is friendly, there is fresh food for breakfast every morning, tea and coffee in the room as well as a hair dryer, the rooms are very clean and there are fresh towels provided on a daily basis. It is small but there is plenty room for a several-day stay (a longer stay might be troubling because of lack of space for all the clothes and souvenirs! :)). I also liked the fact that they offer to keep your bags if you arrive before the room is ready, and that the room is exactly as it looks on the hotel photos. The two negative things I would point out is that there was no air-conditiong in our room what could be a problem in the summer, and that there was no computer for the guests. They do give you the username and password to use their wireless Internet, but I was counting on the computer as well. Overall, I would glady return and I highly recommend it to everyone who is looking for a hotel like this one.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank brownsug
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Leigh House is a very small hotel tucked in a corner of Bloomsbury. Rooms are tiny, amenities average, typical English breakfast included (with baked beans, weird to Americans but tasty if you want some starch for energy). But what makes the place is the hotel staff, both front desk and food servers/housekeepers. They are friendly, and extremely helpful with tips about local restaurants, travel schedules, sightseeing suggestions. You get a real personal experience here, which is part of what makes London so special.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends