“Great for staying in london on a budget”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Leigh House Hotel

Leigh House Hotel
Ranked #326 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great for staying in london on a budget”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stayed in this hotel for two nights over a weekend with my girlfriend for a short break. We picked this hotel because the prices were great value and as students who have just graduated this is very appealing! This also means that we dont have high standards in terms of accommodation, and didn't expect anything really for the price we paid for this hotel. However we were pleasantly surprised.

Upon arrival and throughout the whole stay the staff were very polite and helpful and made us feel very welcome. We had a top floor room (3rd floor) facing the street which had a nice view of the park opposite. If your a light sleeper and staying here in the hot summer, you may struggle since the road noise can be abit loud on with the window open....however im not so thats fine with me. Also if your not great with stairs the 3rd floor can seem like a mountain with no lift......but again thats fine with me.

Breakfast was decent, especially that it was include in the price of the room. The cooked breakfast was basic and minimal but did the job. I would rate this place higher, but to be honest I think it did exactly what it said on the tin, and thats all I wanted since I spent minimal time in the room as we were always out and about. Euston train station was only a 10 min walk away so its easy to get to anywhere in London.

I would stay here again if coming to visit london on a budget. Good location and friendly staff.

Room Tip: If your a light sleeper try and get a room that isn't facing the main road.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

Terrible - I am the friend of the reviewer below and was so upset with the room. Sadly due to the fact that we were both arriving into london (for a wedding) from the opposite sides of the country and were a little delayed we only had an hour to get ready... any longer and I just would have walked OUT and found another hotel!! The room had NO natural light (try getting ready for a wedding under one ceiling light) the wall light did not work, the bathroom was down the hall (not part of the room) and it was covered in small fruit flies everywhere?

At NO point when booking online were we told we would 1) be in the basement and 2) have a bathroom down the hall).

The smell was so bad that I had a sore throat for 24 hours after - even lost my voice from having to sleep with two air fresheners plugged in and a fan on constantly. I wouldn't let a dog live in that room! I really think the hotel should not be using this room for anything but storage!

The wallpaper was torn and scratched off the walls by the bedposts and everything was just damp. I have never stayed anywhere as bad as this. The £30 they knocked off the £95 was still an insult. The one decent thing was the breakfast - but that wasn't worth the balance £65!!!!

Room Tip: Don't get the basement room!!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank BritChikOhio

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

My friend and I wanted a room with 2 singles in for our weekend in London for a friends wedding. She booked this hotel due to the £95 well priced triple room and the photos of it online looked okay for the single night we needed. Well, OMG, what a shock. When we arrived they advised us the room was in the basement, which would have been okay, but MY GOD, the smell was absolutely shocking. There was a window but you couldnt open it as when you did, the smell from the next doors restaurant kitchens and well yard area was directly into our room. We closed the window instantly, but the room smelt of damp and like a cupboard which had mouldy old shoes festering in it for months on end. This room was nothing better than a shoebox which stank rotten, should be a storage room only and not for guests. The person on the front desk offered us a plug in aifreshner as if that was acceptabe ? RIGHT ? We insisted we wanted another room, they said they were fully booked but would check with the sister hotel 3 mins away, and guess what, no room at the inn there !! So we had no option but to accept what we were given, with the predicament we were in. They also advised us upon booking in that the bathroom was down the corridor, which we accepted as they said no other guest would use it, as it was solely for our use but YUK. It had flies in it everywhere!! in the shower, dead on the floor, flying around, it was horrid. We couldn't believe it, as the vent in the room also went onto the restaurants back courtyard kitchen/scullery area, again SMELLS! There was no soak away in the floor, so when we put the shower on, and the shower curtain did not fit to the bottom of the tray, the water soaked the floor and left the floor drenched. We advised them on our way out to our wedding that we had to used the disgusting towels they left us to soak up the water drenched floor. NOT GOOD ! After our evening out we came back to our hotel and again walked into this stinking shoebox to be greeted with the lingering smell. They did discount our room when we left and took approx 1/3rd off the price, but honestly this room wasnt worth £30 to stay in let alone what we paid. When i got home, i opened my case and all my clothes stank of the smell of the room, it was foul! I put everything in the washing machine, and thanked my lucky stars that i would not ever stay there again. The only plus with this hotel was the location, but it was a very small plus. Certainly didnt make our weekend in London experience a pleasant one ! BE warned, if you book the twin, you might get the CELLAR !! ! don't accept this room, its not fit for sleeping in.

Room Tip: maybe other rooms are better, but advoid the twin room if they say its in the basement, check upon b...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paula W
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

This review is a bit overdue but I really want to have my say as I forgot to review after my trip.

I stayed at Leigh House for my short 2 nights in London for the first time. This place was fantastic. It is really small but it is London.... Apart from being a bit cramped this place was perfect. I stayed with a local friend while I was there and we both thoroughly enjoyed this place.

The room was immaculately clean which is really important for me. The bathroom was equally spotless. The staff were the biggest highlight while we were there. The two different guys we encountered at reception were so friendly and helpful.

Two different examples of fantastic customer service were one when our dinner reservation fell through the receptionist ordered pizza for us at 1am and even delivered it to our room upstairs personally.

Secondly when we were 30 minutes late for breakfast one morning the cook still made us breakfast instead of just brushing us off.

It's little things like this that really make you feel looked after and special. I would definitely recommend this hotel, but perhaps only for a few nights as the room is small. But it is a special homely place.

Room Tip: We stayed in number 9 which had a view of the park across the road. Walking up the stairs to your ro...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura G
Castle Douglas, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Myself and my partner stayed here for 2ngts on the 21st and 22nd of May, we only booked the day before, so were lucky to get a room. We payed £125 per ngt for B&B, the room was lovely and clean but smallish but you don't go to London to spend time in your room! The bed was made on the second day and they were good enough to keep our luggage on the day we were leaving, we didn't go back until 3pm and were never charged. The breakfast was good and freshly cooked, good selection of cereal and fruit.
The location is very good, however this was my first visit to London so perhaps not the most knowledgeable on location. It is however only 5 mins to Russell sq for the underground so this will enable you to get where you want to go.
Make sure if you come in the train to Euston and you need a taxi to get to the hotel (cost about £5), the taxi's are underneath the station, take lift down! It would take you about 10mins to walk from Euston to Leigh House Hotel.
The staff were very helpfull and pleasant.
There are pubs and places to eat very close by so you wont go hungry!!
I would use the hotel again if I were to go back to London.
I wouldn't use a travelodge in london after being here as they are about the same money and no breakie.

Room Tip: I think we had room 3 and it is right at the reception, no stairs to worry about!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank melloyello
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed at the Leigh House Hotel for 3 nights as a group of 9 who were in London celebrating my friends 30th Birthday, and all of us have different opinions about the rooms we stayed in!

All of us agreed that the hotel was in a fantastic location - only 5/10 mins from Kings Cross and well within walking distance to Soho/Covent Garden/Oxford Street. Tube is also close at hand for those who prefer not to walk so much! There is a great selection of eating places at the nearby Brunswick Shopping Centre. The staff were very friendly and the cooked breakfast, along with choices of cereals, yoghurts and fruit juices, was brilliant!!!!

All of the rooms were quite small. My husband (room 7) and I didn't find this to be much of a problem, the bed was comfy and the bathroom was clean with a good shower. We didn't get any street noise as this room faced the back, but we did hear the subway, even on the first floor. We also appeared to have an asthmatic pigeon that took up residence outside our window! :)

Some of our party were in the 'Family' room, which us on the basement level. The youngest, who is 6 years old, was staying in this room so the noise of the subway and the fact that the toilet was located down the hall from the room was less than ideal. We did find it a bit strange that the 'Family' room was the only room that if a child was to go to the toilet, they were unable to get back in to their room without the door key. The adults staying in this room also commented that their daughter was unable to close the door to the toilet herself as it was quite stiff and that the light was too high for her to reach.

We had another two rooms (5 and 10). Reports from room 10 were that they were very happy with the hotel, no complaints at all!

Room 5 suffered from street noise, especially on the Friday and Saturday nights. There were a couple of other problems with this room, the window and the door both wouldn't shut at points throughout the weeeknd, but the hotel dealt with these.

Overall, I would say that hotel was really good, so long as you get a room facing the back and do not have to take the room in the basement. I would stay here again based on the location, the staff and the breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is located to the back of the hotel as the street can get very noisy, especially...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ljriddick
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

The Leigh House Hotel is situated about 5 minutes away from Euston and 10 minutes from St Pancras / Kings Cross so well situated for many mainline, tube and international train stations. The rooms are clean but compact, the room I stayed in did not suffer from the street noise other reviewers have mentioned however when checking out I did overhear another guest asking to move rooms due to the noise so it can be an issue. Breakfast is included and you have a choice of the traditional cooked breakfast or cereal or fruit so loads of choice. Overall if I was looking for somewhere in London for an overnight stay I would consider this hotel but if it was more than a night I would maybe look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2012