“Not as bad a I thought it was going to be”
Review of Leigh House Hotel

Leigh House Hotel
Ranked #335 of 558 London B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Not as bad a I thought it was going to be”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

On reading the reviews I feared the worst. We booked at fairly short notice and availability in this area was severely limited, so choice was non existent.
First of all don't be fooled by the address. The front entrance is not in Leigh Street but in Marchmont Street. Misleading. Good points about this hotel were the proximity to Euston and St Pancras stations and also to bus services to the city centre. There are also numerous eateries nearby in all price ranges. The staff were all pleasant and friendly and the free wifi was efficient. Breakfast was basic but acceptable, the bed linen was clean and crisp, the room and bathroom were clean and there were plentiful tea and coffee supplies. When we ran out of milk more was readily supplied.
However that's where the good stuff ends. Our room, which was mercifully on the ground floor so we didn't have to navigate the narrow steep staircases, was tiny. We have just returned from a cruise where we had the most basic cabin and that cabin was twice the size of this room. You had to move the only chair in the room to get out of the door or into the bathroom. There was very little storage space and no drawer space at all. The alleged double bed was very narrow and situated right up against a wall making access difficult. It was however comfortable. Walls were thin and the whole place was quite noisy although none of the guests were making excessive noise. The room and bathroom were clean but there was so ledge in the bathroom for toiletries or hooks on the door. It had obviously been refurbed but could have been so much better for very little more expense. Carpets around the hotel and in the room were stained and unattractive but had obviously been hoovered.
We did not get a special deal for this hotel and it represented poor value for what we had to pay for it. There is no way this place could be suitable for more than a one night stay and we shall certainly not be returning there.

Room Tip: I don't know that there are any good rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lnd_uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My firm's agency - Redfern - booked me in here for three nights. I had to wait at the door for 10 minutes before someone arrived to let me in and I had an immediate sinking feeling as he scrabbled around in a little wooden hutch. My feeling got worse when he said I would have to hand my electronic key in when I went out. There was no reception area to speak of, then I went down to Room 1 in the basement. Narrow stairs, no proper light. the 'en suite' turned out to be along a corridor, and it SMELT. I have stayed in hotels for 12 years and this was the smelliest. No desk to work at. So I rang the agency back (they were not apologetic at all) and got a room in a Travelodge instead - INFINITELY better. If the other rooms are as bad, don't go to this place unless you are into dungeons and that sort of thing. Oh, and noise from the Tube.

Room Tip: Not room 1.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

For what we paid (£68 for private bathroom double including full English Breakfast in the very centre of London) this place was great. Extremely comfy bed, TV with freeview, great shower, easy check in, secure, cosy room, clean, well cooked and extensive breakfast (lots of coffee, juice, cereal, toast, full English). Good maps of London available and within walking distance to the river, Camden, Oxford Street, Westminster etc etc, not to mention very close to St Pancras/Euston.

People complaining really shouldn't at the price we paid for this place. Wonderful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Yerevan, Armenia
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I had a business trip to London for 3 days and booked this hotel because of this near location to our office. The price seemed to be ok for the advertised 3 stars hotel. But what 3 stars? I wouldn't rank it even 1 star. The guy seating there as a receptionist all the time was eating and that awful smell already was "welcoming" we from the entrance. The worst part came in the evening when 2 gays who were very noise spoiled my night and made me to listen all their sex act process. I won't talk about the breakfast - couldn't even eat it. I paid for 3 nights, but stayed there only the 1 night and lost my 198 pounds for the remaining 2 days.
No elevator and no help from the staff. I am a girl and had to carry my heavy luggage alone to the very top (3rd stage).
I won't recommend this awful and dirty place to anyone. It will spoil your stay in that nice city.

Room Tip: only the location is normal. The rest is awful
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dimapur, India
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Well, by far the tiniest hotel room I have ever stayed. Very cozy and wonderful bed. About 10 minutes walk to Russell Square tube station. Nothing much to say or write about the hotel except that it is good for a night or two but since it is at the heart of London city, it is highly over-priced, without much amenities.

Room Tip: There is a basement room. I would advice to check your room allotment. When I had checked in a gentl...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Colorado
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Leigh House is a small hotel, on a quiet street, 5 minutes walking distance from King's Cross St. Pancras stations, offering a very reasonable lodging option 10 minutes from Central London. What more can you ask for?
Personally, I loved it. I stayed in room 7, which was great for one person, with a full size bed and private en suite. Clean and nicely appointed for the money. A very simple breakfast (including a full English style breakfast) is served starting at 7:30am. The only uncomfortable thing was walking up and down a narrow staircase, but people, this is an old house in the middle of London!!! Of course, there will be an old and steep and narrow staircase!!! If you don't like basic, generic toileteries, bring your own stuff. I was very happy with my selection and would stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank W0rldTraveler
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

After booking and paying online, traveled for 5 hours got to my hotel eventually where I was told I was too early for check in so dragged my 6 bags up steep tight stairs with no help at all (I'm a 5 ft female and there was a male at reception sat watching), came back down to be asked before my foot even hit the bottom step did I want to pay by cash or card???? Excuse me what??? I've paid already for this overpriced S*** hole, after arguing for a while I realised I had no other option and after already paying to just "reserve my room" there was no point paying even more again somewhere else at such short notice, so lucky I had someone who could email them their bank details for a second payment I still don't fully understand. My room was about 500 degrees and the shower about as warm as the North Pole and it also leaked, the plug sockets at the other side of the room which was not helpful when it came to setting an alarm. Made myself a coffee in the morning to find white lumps coming out the kettle. Probably would of been better off sleeping in a tent in a park, and a lot more better off.

• Stayed March 2014