“Great Food, decent atmosphere”
Review of Cucarachas - CLOSED

Cucarachas
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stopped in on a Friday night here, and I was pleasantly surprised to be able to immediately sit down without a wait. The outside seating wasn't 100% comfortable, but it was fun and festive and a great evening to be out. The rest of the interior looked pretty well done as well, though there wasn't a huge amount of space to get around in.
The drinks menu was extensive, but you're definitely paying London prices - so if you're out to get sloshed, expect to pay for it here. I think there were 10 different Margarita flavors and you could mix them too! This made me super happy that they would be that flexible. The food menu was pretty well varied as well, and had some Mexican favorites and some new twists on them. There were even some choices for the less adventurous. I found that the portions of food made the prices really quite reasonable, and everything we had was delicious. The calamari was not really exciting, but the nachos were delicious and came with some of the best guac I've had lately. Our table had enchiladas, a burrito, a quesadilla, the nachos and the calamari - and a couple of fancy margaritas, and I wasn't really disappointed in anything. Our server changed during our meal, which I know they can't always help but I don't really like - the second one wasn't really a great communicator either.
It's not hard to find, right on a the main drag, with a bus stop from the station right in front. Not into buses? You can walk there from Clapham Junction in 15 mins. Unfortunately the toilets and super tiny and downstairs, but very clean!

Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

Had an ant on a burrito and was expected to pay for it! Gross!! Won't be going back!
I will add, it was replaced but no apologies and they were pretty rude when I asked for it to be removed from the bill as courtesy, I was told it had been replaced!!
Manager & waitress both need some customer service skills!

1  Thank Ssparrow
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This is a nice Mexican restaurant. The food is really good and the staff and friendly. There is a large variety of dishes on the menu and plenty of cocktails. The prices are a bit steep but the portions are generous. Been 3 times now and been satisfied every time.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

My husband decided to use this venue to host a surprise birthday meal. We had eaten here before and our previous experience about a year ago had been Ok. How things have changed. Firstly, I learnt after the fact that when my husband had personally visited the restaurant to book our table they had the audacity to suggest that they might not be able to accommodate us-clearly they were not happy about catering to patrons of our particular hue. This attitude prevailed throughout the dinner service. The waiting staff were terrible, literally throwing our drinks and food on the table. The staff in general created a fairly unwelcoming atmosphere which the rest of our guests largely ignored but I was acutely aware of the disdain with which they chose to wait on our table.
We spent a fortune there (as usual when we eat out with friends) but I can genuinely say that we will NEVER return to this restaurant. The food is below par (for example, they presented us with guacamole that was brown and disgusting and when I asked for it to be replaced with a fresh sample, I was told that wasn't possible-how hard is it to make guacamole!). As for the tacos and dips! What can I say. if I wanted spicy Doritos chips I would have purchased them myself-these should also be complimentary!
The worst restaurant-far superior restaurants in the Clapham Common area-do not waste your money here

2  Thank Kenaula
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I love it here! They have a great and extensive list of fun cocktails, and great food! Fun atmosphere inside and really friendly staff.