“Great location. Great price.”
Review of Saba Hotel London

Saba Hotel London
Ranked #170 of 556 London B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great location. Great price.”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I recently booked to stay at The Golden Strand Hotel but was moved to the Saba Hotel instead.

The location is great as the hotel is very close to the tube and Westfield shopping centre. Lot's of little restaurants and shops around too so you can grab a bite to eat in the evenings.

The hotel itself looks very impressive and smart from the front. Check-in was smooth despite it being quite late and I was put in a room up on the top floor. The room appeared clean, there was a wardrobe, a fridge and tea & coffee making facilities. Overall, it is excellent value for London.

The only negative really is that I stayed for 4 nights but during my stay the linen was not changed. Luckily I brought my own towel with me. Also it didn't seem as though the shower had been cleaned in quite some time either but these are only minor things.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 29 November 2013

My boyfriend and I were in London for about 2 weeks in May 2013. Let me start off by saying that this hotel is by no means fancy; however, it is clean, comfortable, safe, and affordable. The hotel is super easy to find and seems to be in a nice part of London. It's located close to everything you want to see - about a 10 minute walk from the hotel to the tube. The rooms are small, like really small; it didn't bother us because we had a packed itinerary and didn't spend much time in the room. I think a family manages the hotel, and everyone we interacted with was very polite and helpful.

Our first room was located on the 5th floor. There's no A/C in the building, which we didn't think would be a problem because it was May, but being on the 5th floor it was definitely a problem. The windows in the 5th floor rooms are really small and they barely open, so it doesn't bring in much air. We were sweating in our sleep, so we asked to change rooms and they moved us to the 1st floor. The 1st floor room was MUCH better, but very noisy...we weren't going to complain though! I think it was because there was a family of like 15 staying on the 2nd floor.

I recommend this hotel if you need a clean place to stay overnight in London without spending an arm and a leg.

Room Tip: Higher floors are very hot with no A/C; first floor rooms are much cooler, but very noisy - you hear...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel because of it's location- close to the Hammersmith Apollo and the tube, easy access to Heathrow airport. I traveled with a friend and we each booked a double room, personally I would say that the rooms are too small for a couple that are sharing. There is a fire station nearby, so a few times during the night I heard fire brigades etc go by. I doubt that this is a regular occurrence but I definitely woke up a couple of times because of the traffic outside (I stayed in no.57, a room towards the front of the hotel)
The bed was very comfortable, decent shower etc and a basic breakfast. The rooms were very clean and the building seems to be well looked after. Very good value and a good location, I would recommend this hotel and I will return to it if I am in Hammersmith again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful getting our room ready early and allowing us to leave luggage for the whole day after we had booked out even though we were only staying one night. Room was clean and comfortable with fridge, hairdryer, TV and tea/coffee facilities. Location perfect for Hammersmith bus station & tube - four bus routes right outside of hotel. Would thoroughly recommend hotel to other travellers and would definitely stay again.overall value for money great budget accomadations.

Room Tip: more variety at breakfast would be good
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

On arrival we were told we had to wait for our room as we arrived very early in the morning. So we had free luggage storage by the Hotel that was useful. Our room was a triple room it was clean and fit for our purpose as we only needed somewhere to sleep and shower as we were out most of the day. The hotel staff was pleasant and helpful breakfast was what i would call continental Toast, scrambled eggs, beans, Cheeses Yogurts, Cereals Tea coffee Etc.

Overall it was good we will return again when next in London as it was not too expensive only £85.00 for 3 people for the night. Bargain !

Room Tip: Ask for the room at the back of the Hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 October 2013

So let's start with the positives... Decor ok, neutral colours, easy access into the hotel entrance and reception seemed to be manned at all times. Check in was easy, and checkout not complicated though I had to request a receipt, which I would normally expect to be provided for anything which cost £65. At £65 a night it's a relatively cheap night in London, though as you will see, I think this is one of those "You get what you pay for" examples.

The entrance is clean and stickers on the door shout about their 5 Star hygiene (which is a great achievement) though I did not eat here. I went out of the hotel for food and highly recommend a Tapas place just a few doors away.

I should also say, I did not register a complaint with a manager. This was a business trip, with a late check-in, and no time to be rearranging accommodation. I would have moved elsewhere if I'd have turned up here on vacation!

Pictures give a good idea what to expect, so attached are a few of them, but a few more words also...

This place proclaims on their entrance door way to be Trip Advisor rated, but the part of the sticker with the rating on has been cut off (see picture)

Rooms on the 5th floor are a long way up. There is no lift.

The room I had was small. Ok for 1, but there is no space on the "other side" of the double bed. There is a fridge, but I was surprised to see a half eaten sandwich in it (pictured). There is a sort of hospitality tray and a kettle... I did not try them out.

It was a very warm room. They know this, as evidenced by the provided fan (which is thoughtful) but it's a shame it is caked in dust. Would it hurt to brush or vacuum it? Vacuuming the floor properly, just occasionally enough to leave it clean would be a good idea too (see pictures). The wardrobe is propped up with some cardboard; better than it rocking about I suppose.

Bed sheets. If there's one thing to get right, it's clean linen. Not sure what the mark on the top sheet is. I didn't look inside the bedding. Slept on top. It was warm enough to, and I felt more hygienic not getting nearer to the mattress! See picture.

The room TV had a good picture. There is good provision of mains sockets. There is Wi-Fi, though not suitable for my laptop. I did manage to connect an iPad and deal with some emails. Signal strength variable but manageable.

The clean towels were small but adequate and 2 seats provided for single occupancy.

The bathroom had a toilet which I advise you close the lid on before flushing, otherwise the splash-back hits your legs/feet. The management are obviously environmentally aware... They left me the last occupants half used soap bar, as well as their fridge sandwich. Plenty of loo paper rolls, though I suspect this means it is replenished rarely in bulk to save smaller replenishment which good places do almost daily.

The shower is actually ok, but just ok. Unfortunately, it's very compact, and it is extremely easy to knock the on/off temperature selector, resulting in cold or very hot water, or no water. Also, if you shower when presumably others are doing so, the water flow does slow and even completely stop.

On night 1 I kept the bathroom light on for the fan, but there was an unpleasant smell (like sewage) and I think it must drawer the smell up into the room. Day 2 I left it off... Much much better.

I looked in the bedside drawer when I was leaving, to check I had put nothing there. Part of a Durex condom packet in it. Nice!

Overall, would I stay again? No, absolutely not. I would review Trip Advisor in more detail in future and pick somewhere better for the price.

Room Tip: Unless you have little to carry, and if you don't mind the need for a fan on a warm day/night, do not accept floor 5 bedrooms.
And ... Maybe ask - have I got what I booked? Saba Hotel, or Royal Guest House 2? Since the doors into the property are the same and there is one reception area... And one staircase up to the bedrooms. I don't really see how they can trade with two names. Either way, on TripAdvisor, I have posted my review against both names.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
12 Thank hancouk

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I was on a weekend trip to London with a friend and had booked one night's stay at this hotel. On a first glance, the hotel is well presented and clean. We spent the evening out only to find that upon our late return our room was infested with small bugs, which I can only describe what I believe must have been bed bugs. Never seeing one before in my life, it was initially hard to tell. We went down to the 24hr reception desk only to find this was closed! After spending a very disturbed night at this hotel, we left early in the morning, tired and in a rush as we had a train to catch. When I arrived home from our weekend trip I phoned the hotel to report what we had found. Upon this first phone call I was told that their manager was not in until the next day but they would get him to ring me back and would `definitely sort something out for us`. I didn't receive a ring back so the following day called again only to be told again they would ring me back and guess what? Never did. Eventually I sent an email and received a reply the following day. They basically told me that had checked the room and found nothing so wouldn't be offering any compensation for our trouble - what happened to the customer always being right?! If you want a pleasant hotel stay, please stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013