“great bar martini,s are a rip off”
Review of The Gilbert Scott

The Gilbert Scott
Ranked #858 of 23,226 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$30 - US$75
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Great British dining is executed perfectly at Marcus Wareing's The Gilbert Scott with a menu featuring British produce cooked to perfection. The beautifully grand Gilbert Scott bar presents fine bespoke cocktails and an imaginative wine list. There is a private dining room for large parties and the Kitchen Table is perfect for an extravagant meal, close to the lively hub of the kitchen.
Reviewed 17 April 2014

this is not run by the hotel ,but great decor, and good service we had 2 vodka martini,s in tiny glasses (not cocktail glasses) and at £12.50 per tiny glass i thought it was expensive ,but apart from that great food just keep away from tiny tiny cocktails

There are newer reviews for The Gilbert Scott

Reviewed 15 April 2014

The decor is exceptional - fully restored to its Victorian glory, but the Sunday service was slow and the food rather meagre. The overall cost (rather than the actual cost) makes it not particularly good value for money. Perhaps it is better during the week, or when choosing a la carte. Staff were friendly but there was over an hour wait between teeny weeny rather bland courses. There are so many good places in London to have Sunday Lunch that this was really disappointing. Perhaps they should just offer two hearty dishes rather than the three rather sad ones as budget is clearly an issue. Also there was a cover charge for some rather stale bread (or was it slightly toasted but cold?) and service of 12.5% added to the bill.

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Beautiful cocktails in the bar to start. The restaurant was fairly empty for a Sunday afternoon but the table was romantically smug and the pianist set a relaxed tone. Decor is fabulous and the 20s styling of the waiters make it feel like you've been transported to another time. Oysters to start and my partner had foi gras, both extravagant and delicious. The food was so incredibly delicious I'd say a visit is well worth the pricey bill.

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I decided to visit Gilbert Scott and take advantage of the 2 course express menu which was good value for money.

I chose the roast pollock main course and the rhubarb posset for dessert.

Wines by the glass are reasonably priced, service was excellent throughout.

I'd definitely return, it's great interior and good choice on the menu tick all boxes. Enjoy.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I went there for lunch with a client. I had high expectations, especially after Giles Coren (the hyper-critical “it’s all about me” restaurant reviewer) sang its praises, suggesting that beneath its antiquated somewhat old fogey atmosphere there was some seriously good cooking going on.

I thought the service was pleasant and professional, in spite of the British Rail garb which was a bit amateurish and confidence draining at the outset.

The décor looked fairly true to the original architecture and this attention to detail was interesting and aesthetically impressive. However, being true to the original meant that the atmosphere was a cross between a Masonic temple and a mausoleum.

For such a vast room they could have been more generous in table separation, as is traditional with hotel restaurants. Placing couples opposite one another in a horizontal line of tables for two is what you expect in a cheap trattoria or a trendy restaurant trying to generate maximum revenue per square foot. I had trouble hearing much of what my lunch companion was saying. I had asked for a quiet table when booking and the one they gave me certainly wasn't that. I couldn't remonstrate in front of my client.

I hated everything I was served. The mulligatawny was more a vegetable stew than a soup and it lacked the curry-ish flavour that one would expect from such a soup. It was like eating tasteless slop. For the main course I had to ask the waiter what was the "flat iron steak" on the menu. He said it was from the US and very much like a US sirloin. That sounded fine but what came was a flat steak swamped in a dark brown gravy. The steak was of decent quality I am sure but I wasn’t in the mood for braised steak on a warm Spring day and it certainly wasn't what I was hoping for and expecting. I saw nothing of interest in on the dessert menu unless the aim was to pile on a lot of sickly calories but I needed to get rid of the taste of that steak so I chose a blueberry sorbet, which was nothing more than just okay (probably bought in). My client‘s dishes looked at least as vile as mine and I could tell he was underwhelmed.

I chose a good red wine for which the price was reasonable.

This restaurant is all about traditional English cooking. It made me relieved to know that traditional English cooking is no longer a large part of the restaurant scene except where someone has decreed that it would fit in well with British Rail of yesteryear. Okay, there is Heston Blumental’s "Dinner" (resurrecting Middle-Aged English fayre) but we have to let that pass as he has pretty much sewn up the mad scientific professor end of the market. There is Rules where Englishness is the main theme but unlike Gilbert Scott it recognises the importance of reconciling such cooking to the 21st Century and is more about good produce and ingredients than weird recipes that should never have been unearthed. Then there is good old Simpsons which is more about pleasant traditional British cooking than weird dishes dug out from the grave. Authenticity can be a double edged sword.

There is nowhere worthwhile to eat in the Kings Cross area and Gilbert Scott hasn’t changed that sad fact. Once there is some competition Gilbert Scott will be no more than a strange memory blip.

2  Thank multitudes