“Quiet and civilised”

The Gilbert Scott
Ranked #774 of 22,375 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$28 - US$70
Cuisines: European, British, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Great British dining is executed perfectly at Marcus Wareing's The Gilbert Scott with a menu featuring British produce cooked to perfection. The beautifully grand Gilbert Scott bar presents fine bespoke cocktails and an imaginative wine list. There is a private dining room for large parties and the Kitchen Table is perfect for an extravagant meal, close to the lively hub of the kitchen.
London
“Quiet and civilised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Excellent restaurant at St.Pancras station - service and food are good and I didn't feel hurried at all over my meal. I've used it a couple of times to meet friends of the Eurostar. Good cocktails too.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank MrHouseMartin

• Turkish first
Hythe, United Kingdom
“Fabulous birthday celebration”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We went there, all 12 of us and had a private room. The service was exemplary, the food and wine delicious and they went to so much trouble to accommodate a serious nut allergy guest much to her delight.

Columbia, Maryland
“New versions of classic cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Service was initially terrible. 3 of us had gone to the bar before so we had drinks. But no one came up to us for 25 minutes. The guy I got blamed me for the lack of service. Not even any water.

I'm patient because I know Americans are over the top. But after I requested our initial service, it got better. Although my papa would disagree...he asked for a Jack Daniels on rocks & got it with Coke. Luckily, we didn't see that guy again.

We loved the first course...my DH and I ordered, but they brought samples of the Jersey potato soup for the others. Also, their butter is amazing. My mum's haddock was tender. My papa & I had rack of lamb...good flavor, bit of fat, need to figure out how to order doneness.

Bread & butter pudding was warm & surprisingly light. The banana didn't overwhelm the pudding.

Giancarlo knows a lot about wine & can advise you well.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank kcoombs1209
london
“deserves a high rating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

this is a top restaurant - vaulted ceiling, friendly and knowledgeable service and most importantly great food - whether high end or comfort food such as the chicken kiev I had.
The starter of ducks egg and mushrooms is well worth trying

london
“Prosaic and not value for money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Second visit and after very disappointing battered haddock first time stayed away for a couple of years but it was the only so called reputable restaurant to eat at in kings cross that was not booked out that evening - and I had recently seen Marcus Wareing on master chef waxing on about restaurant standard food - so we gave it a go; sadly still disappointing - best thing was the bread. Mushroom cobbler had a too thick and gloopy and over salted sauce and for £15 had 12 button mushrooms - I would have expected some variation on interesting mushrooms; cauliflower pudding was plain cauliflower cheese with nothing to recommend it beyond that. Battered haddock remained disappointing to the two that had it , over battered and under seasoned. The chips were pleasant. The cherry bake well tart was overpoweringly almond and the cherries are still on the tree! The wine we chose was glorious from a respectable list and the service was superlative.

The restaurant needs a shake up - there was no excuse for the mistakes on the table , and at that price - fortunately there are excellent restaurants in kings cross - I will book in time or eat at home before we visit the Gilbert Scott again.