“Afternoon Tea at The Gilbert Scott”
Review of The Gilbert Scott

The Gilbert Scott
Reserve with OpenTable
The Gilbert Scott is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #802 of 22,564 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$28 - US$71
Cuisines: European, British, Soups
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Great British dining is executed perfectly at Marcus Wareing's The Gilbert Scott with a menu featuring British produce cooked to perfection. The beautifully grand Gilbert Scott bar presents fine bespoke cocktails and an imaginative wine list. There is a private dining room for large parties and the Kitchen Table is perfect for an extravagant meal, close to the lively hub of the kitchen.
Manchester
“Afternoon Tea at The Gilbert Scott”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We had the Afternoon Tea in the Gilbert Scott bar on Saturday 2nd August, with my sister. They fitted us in without a booking and we enjoyed cocktails before and after.

The food was delicious and the setting was beautiful; peaceful and calm.

• Visited August 2014

• Turkish first
Reading
“Great staff, incredible food!!! ”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Food was superb, prepared with care and attention to detail. Service was exceptional and they took us down to meet the chef who was really nice chap and took the time to have a chat. Our waitress who's name I didn't catch ( she was wearing glasses working on Saturday 2nd aug) couldn't have done a better job, excellent care and attention, very sweet and even did us some special truffles for our anniversary,
Can't fault it, superb!

Hove, United Kingdom
“A good lunch had by all”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Six of us had the pleasure of dining at The Gilbert Scott, it was our first time and a pleasure it was. The architecture creates a good ambience and the staff were attentive and polite to a point.It was a celebratory lunch so champagne to start followed by some excellent wines. The sommelier was helpful and recommended a great Australian red. The food is excellent with, the crispy pigs head was a favourite for some but there were some delightful fish starters as well. Main courses were great especially the rib of beef for two. Whilst i would highly recommend this restaurant the gap between drinks and the starters could have been managed better as the starters arrived as we were only just drinking the champagne and the interest in our table waned towards the end and we had to retrieve and serve our own wine. A little niggle that stopped it getting top marks.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Good Lunch”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I enjoyed another lovely lunch with my foodie friend Gareth. This time he suggested the Gilbert Scott and I really enjoyed it. We had a glass of English bubbles in the bar and he explained about the renovation of the building. We enjoyed our meal, reasonable size portions, lovely presentation and excellent flavours and seasoning. He had the quail, followed by the sea bream and we shared the pavlova. I had the smoked trout (which was tasty but nothing very different about it) and the duck which was delicious. We also shared some beans and champ and a carafe of French white. The service was unobtrusive and overall it was a lovely experience. The bill was £145 which by Cape Town standards is quite a bit and made me realise that I really do need to enjoy our top 10 restaurants in the next year.

1 Thank Janet L
London, United Kingdom
“Good surroundings but food average!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had time to kill before catching a train so decided to have a meal at the Gilbert Scott to while away the time. The staff were extremely helpful, friendly and efficient. However, we did think it a bit odd when the whole restaurant was empty why they placed us at a table which was near to the only other couple in the restaurant! My partner ordered bbq poussin with fries and I ordered the battered haddock and chips. The BBQ poussin for lovely and moist and came with a very salty green left side salad which he left. My haddock was lovely fresh and moist and the batter was crispy. The pea mayonnaise that came with it had no flavour and was just bland - fresh peas or pea puree would have been a better option. My chips were ok but a bit tasteless and quite heavy. I was disappointed that they were not crispy on the outside and fluffy inside! I ended up leaving some which is very rare for me! The frites were much better. We had two glasses of red wine and I had a glass of sparkling. The bill came to about £85. The ambience is lovely with piano playing music and a bit of an oasis around the Kings Cross area - a good place to have a meal before catching a train but that would be the only reason I would go back. Expected more from a restaurant that has Marcus Wareing's name attached to it!

1 Thank Fizz100