“You won't find better value in this area”

Ruskin Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #587 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“You won't find better value in this area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 5 days in October/November 2012. As others have mentioned, the hotel decor is dated but everything is very clean. The rooms are simple, they have full length mirrors, a sink, a window (mine had a nice view of the British Museum and the pretty street below), a wardrobe, tea and coffee making facilities, and most importantly, a comfortable bed.

The shower rooms were immaculate and looked newly refurbished (cream marble floor/surfaces and modern fixtures) and there were a couple of shower rooms on each floor. The shower itself was powerful and stayed hot.

The staff at this hotel were remarkable. Upon returning late at night back to the hotel, I was sitting at the bottom of the stairs using the wifi on my tablet. A member of staff came out of a nearby door and nearly died from fright at the unexpected sight of me sitting there, but promptly recovered, laughed and then offered twice to open up the lounge area for me so I could sit comfortably.

On the day I was due to leave, I woke up late for checkout (I assumed it was 12pm, my booking said 11am, I woke up to a maid knocking on the door at 10:56). I called reception to ask if I could pay for an extension, and was told that this was not possible but I could have an extra twenty minutes. I thanked him, and when I asked downstairs how much I owed them for the late checkout, he told me that I didn't have to pay anything. He was then kind enough to let me use a shower room to freshen up, after I had checked out. Lovely staff.

In short, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is staying in London on a tight budget for any amount of time. If you don't mind leaving your room to use the toilet/shower, or slightly dated decor (I found it charming) then you will have no problems here. The closest underground station, a shop, Bloomsbury Square and the British museum are just a short walk away, and as the title states, you really won't find a private room cheaper.

Room Tip: I would choose a room closer to the ground floor for a better wifi signal. It says it is only availa...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank xnatalie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

I stayed for alomst a week in October. The room I had was pretty narrow, but functional. There are still constructions going on in the building, and the room service only took care of the bed, but not the floor. It made me wonder how often they had hoovered the carpet.

I was a bit disappointed when I found out there was no liquid soap in the bathroom, and one of them didn't even have a tab. There was a simple wash basin and running hot water in the room, but all in all, it was very simple. Well, not much more to expect. I didn't go to London to sleep in a B&B. But SOHO was within walking distance for me, so I had a good time. When I got tired, I could find my way back and had a little nap. Sound proof wasn't so good, though. I was woken up by late showers at night. But heating was on all night. That was nice.

Breakfast was average and a little salty to my taste. I was expecting a buffet, but it truned out to be orders. Plus they'd watch you like a hawk. It would be hightly unlikely if you had expected a hearty first meal.

By the way, the stairs were a bit narrow and squeaky, so if you have bad knees, you may choose the lift. However, during my stay, it was not functioning properly. Or, perhaps they turned it off. There is something funny about this hotel. It felt like they all somehow got the job the first day even though they were very very friendly. The doorman is young Japanese (I assume) seemingly in his 30s and runs it like a student house, and the dining room gave me an impression of school canteen/Chinese or Indian Takeaway.

An American lady who also stayed during my visit said the staff were very very helpful with her needs, ie. currencies, credit card etc. But if you want to get to some where, you'd best have your smart phone or you'd better learn how to read a map. Streets in London can be a bit confusing sometimes, but that is another story...

All in all, I had a good time there. If sleeping is not your priority in London, this hotel can be an OK choice.

Room Tip: Make sure there are windows in your room. London can be pretty warm even in Autumn. Most "affor...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank D L
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

Maybe a bad day, but let down by one of the worst breakfasts I've (not) eaten!
I quite like the good value slightly seedy Georgian hotels in Bloomsbury, as long as you don't look for luxury and are happy with shared bathrooms they can be very good value and friendly. The Ruskin ticks these boxes, a bit run down but very friendly. Perfect for an inexpensive night after working late or a function.
But the breakfast, if you can call it that, inedible and extremely meagre portions! Complaint noted but not followed up. I doubt I'll be returning, there are better in the area..

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Andrew G
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed here during the Olympics. We got a double room plus full British breakfast for £45
Yes the room could be considered in need of decoration
Yes the room only has a sink and the bathroom is down the hall
Yes there is no tv

What is lost in the above is made up in with location.
The staff were all attentive and we were made to feel most welcome from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. There are tea and coffe making facilities in the room.

The room we were given was at the front of the hotel. There is secondary glazing to keep out the minimal street noise. We left this open though to enjoy the cooling night air.

It's not the ritz, but never had pretended to be. We booked direct and it clearly states this is a 1 star property. Going here with the right expectations is preferable.

Thanks to the hotel team for a good stay

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank ianbeale
Poole, Wielka Brytania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

We spend two night there. Hotel is very basic (we did not try breakfast because they serve it only to 9:30). We were lucky to have free WiFi in the room, but there was no TV!! I missed it when I book hotel, but remember, there is no TV in rooms...

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dartles
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

We needed a London hotel just for one night, with me heading to Kings Cross and my wife to the West End next morning. The Ruskin was perfectly located for our needs. And if we'd wanted to spend time in the British Museum, well that was literally over the road.

As it was just for the night, we made do without an en-suite bathroom (though some were available by paying more). The rooms didn't seem to have a TV, but there was a big one in the lounge, and we were able to watch Wimbledon in some style. (The lounge, incidentally, has a huge, rather fine, early 19th century landscape, with details of its rediscovery when the hotel was renovated back in the 1920s).

The welcome was friendly, the breakfast cooked fresh for us next morning. Just fine for what we needed.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank eddiebrylcreem
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

The hotel is in a renovated Georgian building. I was asked to pay in advance before even seeing the room, which was a bit disconcerting, but it turned out all right. I had a single that was small, clean, and quiet, and faced an annex to one of my favorite London attractions, the British Museum. The hotel is also only half a block from Great Russell Square, which is a lovely place to sit in the evenings. It is also close to Southampton Street with its good selection of restaurants, and it is convenient to the Underground. The building has an elevator. My room did not have its own bathroom, but there were several on the floor and this was not a problem. The English breakfast was adequate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back garden.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo