“last minute bussiness trip”

Ruskin Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #604 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“last minute bussiness trip”
Reviewed 13 February 2013

i phoned the hotel to say i'd be late with 2 of my kids (11pm) the receptionist was very polite and helpful, he just said ring the bell.
on arrival door was answered straight away, and staff were very helpful, we stayed in a 3 bedded room which was very big and had comfy beds, wardrobes and a sink, direct dial telephone and leather chairs.... No tv in our room,
we had a shared bathroom which we knew before we came, Shower was nice and constant hot and clean.
we wasnt going to bother with breakfast which is included in price, but glad we did, as it was well cooked and tasty (fully English) and you could have cereal, tea, coffee , fresh juice too, all in the price of the room... Again the staff were very friendly.
we checked out at 12 noon, with quick key deposit box..
would i stay here again .... YES
would i recommend hotel ..YES
it's a good base hotel, about 10 mins walk from Euston Station (Main hub),, and hotel is great for a base to go out an explore London all within walking distance if you dont want to take tube..
there is also a bike rental depot 50 yards from hotel for cheap bike hire, with many bike hubs across city for 1 way hire.
if i return to London i'd prob stay here for the price they give, why pay a lot more to sleep the same.
only down side was the weather .. lol

Room Tip: rooms are big
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank shukokai2000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Perth
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Stayed here for a week whilst visiting friends in London. We had a double room with a shared bathroom (right next door) and really loved being in the centre of London. It's about 3 blocks walk to the tube (Piccadilly and central lines) with easy connections. There is a supermarket and laundromat also a few blocks away. It was inexpensive with daily servicing of rooms and was very clean. The room next to the toilet was a bit noisy but for the price it was fine. Breakfast is a winner, toast, cereals, tea, coffee and bacon/eggs/beans/tomato/sausages. Staff were polite and helpful and wifi was available downstairs. A good find!

2 Thank Maryanne F
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2013

The Ruskin is a beautiful old building in Bloomsbury, the opposite of the dull corporate box. The staff are incredibly friendly & helpful, finding my partner's mislaid gold watch in a shared bathroom & returning it to her promptly.
Breakfast is a proper feast to set you up for a day's business or leisure, cooked to order plus the usual cereals & fruit juices, which would cost an extra 6 or 7 quid at a chain hotel. If you want modern decor, TV sets in every room or wipeable formica, you won't like the Ruskin, but if you want Georgian charm, original features and great views of a private square from the back windows, the Ruskin will suit you to a tee.
All areas are very clean, even if the decor is worn. We will now use The Ruskin as our pied a terre in town.

Room Tip: the rooms at the back overlook a beautiful private square populated with sculptures
3 Thank The-Old-Scribe
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Arrived at the front door and couldnt get in to start with, left our bag with the hotel as room wasnt ready. Was given a cell size room which was cold even after we had turned on the heating. Room was right next to the shared shower room which was in use from 5.45 am, even when shower wasnt being used the extractor fan came on which was all on the same wall as our bed, Cheap yes, good position yes, but would rather have spent the extra £30 and spent the night in the hotel round the corner. As for breakfast???? didnt want to risk it.

Room Tip: Dont bother pay the extra and get comfort
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Great location (beside British Museum), friendly, helpful staff, clean rooms. It's certainly not luxurious (spartan rooms, shared bathrooms), but so clean that that doesn't seem to matter. I completely agree with the reviewer who said, "You won't find better value in this area" -- or, I would add, anywhere else in London. The hotel is being updated fast, so the bargain that it is may not last. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'd come back here in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the bathrooms, and the door to each floor, will be quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Barbara T
cambridge
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Not a bad hotel perfect if you just need a bed in London. Rooms are small but very clean, tea and coffee in the room. The staff are good very friendly and the do a good breakfast, full English and a selection of cereals. The hotel is right next to the British museum and less than 5 min walk to a tube station. In all a good location, good price, good breakfast.

Room Tip: As for a room that is not in the bacement the rooms in the nacement can be nosie
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Wayne G
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 5 days in October/November 2012. As others have mentioned, the hotel decor is dated but everything is very clean. The rooms are simple, they have full length mirrors, a sink, a window (mine had a nice view of the British Museum and the pretty street below), a wardrobe, tea and coffee making facilities, and most importantly, a comfortable bed.

The shower rooms were immaculate and looked newly refurbished (cream marble floor/surfaces and modern fixtures) and there were a couple of shower rooms on each floor. The shower itself was powerful and stayed hot.

The staff at this hotel were remarkable. Upon returning late at night back to the hotel, I was sitting at the bottom of the stairs using the wifi on my tablet. A member of staff came out of a nearby door and nearly died from fright at the unexpected sight of me sitting there, but promptly recovered, laughed and then offered twice to open up the lounge area for me so I could sit comfortably.

On the day I was due to leave, I woke up late for checkout (I assumed it was 12pm, my booking said 11am, I woke up to a maid knocking on the door at 10:56). I called reception to ask if I could pay for an extension, and was told that this was not possible but I could have an extra twenty minutes. I thanked him, and when I asked downstairs how much I owed them for the late checkout, he told me that I didn't have to pay anything. He was then kind enough to let me use a shower room to freshen up, after I had checked out. Lovely staff.

In short, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is staying in London on a tight budget for any amount of time. If you don't mind leaving your room to use the toilet/shower, or slightly dated decor (I found it charming) then you will have no problems here. The closest underground station, a shop, Bloomsbury Square and the British museum are just a short walk away, and as the title states, you really won't find a private room cheaper.

Room Tip: I would choose a room closer to the ground floor for a better wifi signal. It says it is only availa...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo