“Pleasant but average stay”
Review of Alhambra Hotel

Alhambra Hotel
Ranked #250 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Pleasant but average stay”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed one night at the Alhambra Hotel to attend an event and picked this as it is very close to Kings Cross station. The reception on arrival was efficient and we were directed to their annex across the road on the top floor in Rm 13. The room was clean and all the white gloss had recently been painted and was still a little tacky in places. The actual bedroom was very functional and bed comfortable, pillows were a cheap and had little support. The disappointing part was the bathroom was very small with the small hand basin was right in front of the toilet with the small shower cubicle the other side of the basin. Although the shower was an electric it still did not have a lot of power. Breakfast was in the main part of the hotel and was very busy so much so that other couples had to share the same table. Food was good and staff again very efficient and friendly. We probably wouldn’t stop here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My wife and I elected to stay at Alhambra because we were catching the EuroStar to Paris early the next morning. We arrived at 2 PM (prior to the official check-in time) and we were still able to access our room and drop-off our luggage even though the room had not yet been cleaned. Our room was in a building across the street; not the same building in which the hotel lobby is located. Based upon some of the other reviews, Alhambra seems to own a few building on the street. Regardless, the room was small, but exactly as advertised. Our room had a comfortable bed, built-in closets, television, and a private bath all for 116 GBP. Check-out was easy and we were at the Kings Cross-St Pancreas train station with just a 4 minute walk. In summary, friendly, clean, convenient, and at a very reasonable price. Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Traveling543
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

A brilliant little hotel right next door to Kings Cross-St Pancreas. I chose this hotel because of its location and it's value for money too - I stayed two nights whilst recovering from an eye surgery and the place was gear - all the staff were friendly and attentive, they knew my story and found me a lovely quite little room and were really flexible around everything we needed - and we got a full English breakfast too! Amazing! The twin room was 'cosy' but this is London, c'mon! It was perfect!

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Estelle K
Bogotá, Colombia
Reviewed 22 December 2013

London is expensive, and getting this place just next to King's Cross (and one block away from a public bike station) was really useful for two overnight stays in november despite it's relatively high cost.
The rooms I had were pretty small but just enough for the short stays (it felt more like sleeping on a yacht but when you think of it that way you feel it's pretty spacious!). It was the first time I used a shared bathroom so I was literally scared of it, but it ended up being ok.
Internet wasn't too good (once I had to go downstairs and work from there because I couldn't go online anywhere else), breakfast was pretty nice (and included in the room rate).
Bottom line: I will stay here again when I come back, I think it is a great location for a good, clean place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Have just stayed here for two nights. Excellent and very central location a 60 second walk from King's Cross/St. Pancras, while being on a relatively quiet street. We moved rooms after two nights as another family member was joining us and we needed a bigger room, and both rooms were quiet except for a very vocal fox outside our window one night, but I can't really fault the Alhambra for that. Rooms are small, clean, and comfortable, and staff were for the most part friendly and accommodating. Free wifi was excellent - so rare to find a hotel with fast, speedy internet with a strong connection and not charging extra for it! This is a big plus and I hope they don't change that.

My one complaint is regarding breakfast. Signs around the hotel state that you can get a cooked or continental breakfast until 9:00, and 9:30 on the weekend. On Saturday, we arrived at 9:25 and were told that we could only get a continental breakfast as the kitchen was closed…if you say you'll serve to 9:30, you should really serve until 9:30, but I get that 9:25 is pretty close to the wire. So the next day we arrived at 9:16 and were told that we could still only get a continental, because the kitchen closes at 9:15, "as we were told at check-in." We weren't ever told this, and the signs state 9:30. They did bring us some leftover bacon, which was kind of them, but really either the signs or the policy need to change to accurately reflect that breakfast is only served until 9:15. Even the continental breakfast buffet was mostly tidied away at 9:16 (cream cheese, fruit, etc. all had been put away - only cereal and a little yoghurt remained), and our waitress forgot to bring us our milk, butter, and croissants, leaving us to poach leftovers from other tables around us that hadn't been cleared yet. Still, overall I would recommend and stay again at the Alhambra.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
northumberland
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Just had a week staying here and was very pleasantly surprised. A small hotel perfectly located a stones throw from Kings Cross station and the site I've been working at. Very friendly staff, very clean and freshly decorated room with everything I needed.... The only slight negative is the size of the single rooms and en-suite shower room. However it is only a very slight negative and the clever use of the space available is to their credit. Based on the size of the room alone I thought the price towards the higher end of the scale, but by no means expensive for the location, and when you take into account the free wifi (travelodge take note) and a delicious freshly prepared breakfast every morning then perhaps I am being a little picky!
Overall a very pleasant stay in a very pleasant hotel. I will most likely be back sometime in the new year when my work takes me back to kings cross.
Keep up the good work guys.

• Stayed December 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We have now been here twice for overnight stays with a similar experience each time. In both cases the room was clean and comfortable bed. The room was small but we knew that and had no problem with it
Un fortunately both times there was a real problem with noise. In the first case, we were below a room that sounded like it had a wooden or tiled floor as we heard loud noise every time the person upstairs moved. In the second case, the people in the room next door got up at 5am, started playing music and shouted at each other making it impossible to sleep.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple