“Lovely little find!”
Review of Alhambra Hotel

Alhambra Hotel
Ranked #272 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We travelled for one night to watch a show in London. I booked this as it was near the station. It was about a 5 minute(fast) walk from Euston and directly across the road from Kings Cross/ St Pancras Stations - Which we found ideal for travelling on the tube!

The room was spotlessly clean and a perfectly adequate size for a couple of nights. I had a very restful nights sleep, we were on the 2nd floor, with an ensuite bathroom/shower and could not hear any train noises - in fact there was not much noise at all.

The staff were very friendly, the man on the night shift on reception even smiled at us when we came staggering in at 3 in the morning! :) The breakfast was very nice too... a little cramped in the breakfast room but this didn't really bother us at all, and breakfast was served fresh within 5 minutes of sitting down.

All in all we were very comfortable and made to feel welcome. I would not hesitate to stop here again and would recommend it for anyone travelling to London!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 January 2014

My wife and I went to London in May, 2013 and then took the train from St. Pancras station to Paris. The Alhambra was perfect for us. Excellent access to the tube and the train. We had their delightful English breakfast each morning, meeting wonderful people from all over the world. The breakfast area is a bit crowded, but I have to say they run a very efficient and friendly operation so it became part of our London experience. After touring all day, we would come back after dinner and had a very restful sleep. We had an ensuite. The staff is terrific. I would definitely recommend if you are a "hit the ground running" tourist like we are. It's a great home base. Also, make sure you go to the British Library about a block away. It is often missed, but it has a fabulous display of ancient and historic documents including the Magna Carta, original Gutenberg bibles, and even some original Beatles song lyrics.

Room Tip: We had an ensuite. Small but clean and efficient.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James H
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We were pleased to have found this clean, budget hotel in a fantastic location just down the street from the transportation nexus that is King's Cross/St. Pancras. It is also just down the street from the British Library. The rooms are very small (not surprising for a big city), and the hallways and stairwells are very narrow. The included breakfast was quite nice and provided more food than we needed, with both cold and hot options available. The breakfast room was always crowded, but over the several days of our stay, we were able to get our food in a reasonable amount of time.

I used the computer in the lobby several times, and the internet connection was speedy. It was particularly helpful to be able to print (for a small fee). Our budget airline required us to print our boarding passes in advance or be charged a steep fee.

We had a dispute over the bill that the manager eventually resolved. If you're using a foreign credit card be sure to pay in pounds, not your local currency. Otherwise you'll be needlessly charged an additional percentage by the third party that does the point of sale currency conversion.

Overall the staff was very friendly, and the property is well-maintained. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night when in London for a show, room was a good size and it looked like everything was brand new. Bright and clean shower room and comfy bed. Only slight negative was having to queue for breakfast and then being seated with another couple- this wasn't a problem for us but some may not like it. Great breakfast choice and very friendly service. We were on the ground floor (room 3) and you could hear the tube, again, not a problem for us but maybe an issue for light sleepers. Excellent location, 2 minutes from kings cross station. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I have nothing but praise for the way in which the hotel is run. The hotel is very good value for its location. All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. The room was pleasantly organised and very clean. The breakfast was generous and efficiently served -- especially impressive given how full the hotel was at the time. Considering its location the room, which looked out on the street, was quiet enough for a good night's sleep. We would certainly recommend the hotel warmly and hope to stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The Hotel itself is very easy to find, well located with friendly staff (all as per other reports) and the room was spotless etc but when I booked a room I found myself on the top floor with shared shower and toilet facilities (which was unexpected!) - I did look back at their website to see if I'd missed booked and only then spotted that "basic rooms" are not listed as ensuite. Doh! - Personally I'd have preferred that basic rooms were advertised as "sharing facilities" (can't remember the last time I stayed in a hotel with shared bathrooms).

All the above was not such a huge issue as I was staying on my own but would have been an unwelcome surprise if I'd been with a partner etc.

All of the above is not a criticsm of the hotel, it's staff etc but rather a note to be aware that "Basic Rooms" share showers and other bathroom facilities

Room Tip: Basic Rooms are not ensuite (maybe obvious with hindsight but wasn't when I booked)
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Jay H
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We have been in the Alhambra Hotel between the 28 Dec and 3 January 2014 for the new years celebration. I have read all reviews and was already aware what I would find. We found a brilliant hotel close to King Cross station which made it ideal to travel easily. Upon booking I have requested two adjacent rooms with en suite bathrooms and this is what I have found on arrival. In addition, the issue of noise coming from the road was also not an issue. Cleanliness is the rule I presume, because every time you enter the room after one full day out in London, you could smell a fresh clean air. Finally, I cannot forget the staff and the owners. They are extremely helpful and welcoming. I would sure recommend this hotel to other travelers.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family