“Pristine”

Ranked #249 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Truro, United Kingdom
“Pristine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

This hotel is clean, well presented and comfortable.Bruno and his staff are most helpful. He oversaw a very busy breakfast time efficiently and with great courtesy.
The location is particularly good.
We will return

Room Tip: Read the web-site carefully
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Don I
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to place your opinion on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to know that you were happy with the LOCATION, found the hotel WELL PRESENTED AND CLEAN with EFFICIENT AND HELPFUL STAFF.
Also we are encouraged to hear that you WILL RETURN to the Alhambra hotel.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Location is not everything we were expecting more from this establishment. Sadly we were disappointed with our stay here as well as the service we received during our stay, needless to say we ended up staying across the road on the ground floor on a hot July night with no air con or fan and right beside the entry door which does not close quietly. It was not conducive to a good night's sleep make sure you check your room here first there is a big difference between good and bad.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John H
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay.
As a family business for over 40 years we do try hard. We offer a GOOD LOCATION, CLEAN ROOM AND A DECENT BREAKFAST.

Over the last 2 weeks we have experienced very hot weather in London and some rooms were very warm but we have since placed a fan in every room to improve the conditions.

Again my sincere apologies if we have not exceeded your expectations.

Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This little hotel is both brilliant value for money and in a superb location. It is just right across the road from St. Pancras / Kings Cross train station. We arrived there directly from Gatwick airport so it was all extremely convenient.

Every day we would take a short walk from here to Camden Town which has so much to see, including the markets and endless food stalls. We spent most of our time here. We were in London to see a concert at The Roundhouse theatre. It's a short walk from here so it is a good location for people going to events there.

Value wise - the room was about a cheap as you will find with such a central location, AND you get a free full cooked breakfast included.

I give the hotel credit for these perks, but I also need to address a few issues that unfortunately really did spoil our stay and make it quite uncomfortable.

Firstly, we understand there is nothing a hotel can do if they are in an old building - the rooms are extremely small, and I understand there is nothing you can do about this. However, what is much harder to deal with, is the fact that rooms are not en-suite. I've never stayed in a hotel before that does not have a bathroom for each room. Considering the rooms are so small, perhaps you could half the amount of rooms the hotel has by combining every two rooms together to make them all en-suite and charge a little more per room? I am not sure, but if I had known that each room hadn't its own bathroom, I'd not have booked this hotel. My fault for not seeing this fact.

It means that every floor has to share one toilet and one shower room at the end of each corridor. I woke up in the middle of the night and had to get dressed and walk down the corridor to go to the toilet. The corridor doors are old and slam behind you, making it hard to not be noisy at night time. The toilet door only opened half way as it was blocked by a hoover or something folded up behind the door. It was very hard for me to get in to, and I am a small and slim built person!

My girlfriend was afraid to use the shower room at the end of the corridor by herself at night time. I didn't blame her at all. The shower room is literally a little tiny room the exact size of the shower. Essentially you step out of the shower into the corridor, so there is no room to dry off properly or get changed before walking out of it. The idea of women being expected to walk down a public hotel corridor at night wearing nothing but a towel seems crazy to me. A major safety issue here. I had to escort her to the shower room, wait for her, and escort her back to the room. Twice a day.

Second major issue. We were here in May and it was already very warm weather. The tiny rooms have no air-con of any kind at all. Opening a window would be fine, except you are then looking out on to a very busy, central London street. On one of the nights the heat in the room was unbearable so I opened the window. People were shouting, cheering and roaring on the street all night. At 4:30am I woke up after a very brief sleep to a drunk woman crying and screaming on her phone right at the steps of the Hotel's entrance. I had to close the window again and try to sleep through the intolerable heat. A/C units need to be installed!

Again, due to the location of the Hotel, I try not to judge it too harshly on the noise as they have little control over what happens outside. In regards to the room again though - around the underside edge of the bed there was a lot of gathered dust a hair. The room WAS clean in general, but it needs a little extra thorough cleaning, even under the bed where dust and hair lingers.

Final issue that I must mention.

On our last night, my girlfriend was not feeling very well and needed to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. We both woke up and got dressed so I could escort her down the corridor. The toilet door was locked. So we went back to our room. After ten minutes we tried again and it was still locked. After another 15 minutes it was still locked. Eventually we had to go to another floor, walk to the end of that corridor and use that toilet. Two hours later, still unwell, we had to do it all again - get up, get dressed, walk down the corridor. The toilet was STILL locked!! Unbelievable.

The young girl at the desk was either very shy or couldn't speak English very well. She gave us a few funny looks upon first arrival and seemed unusually silent - like she couldnt really understand us. Some better welcome protocol would be a good idea here, i.e how to get to the room, how to access the internet, breakfast times, checkout times etc. I couldn't even get a hello back from her yet alone any of this information lol

A decent hotel for those on a tight budget, but next time I think I would rather pay just a little extra for something that has better basic features: A/C, En-Suite etc.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that look on to the main street. Keep in mind rooms do not have A/C units, they do not h...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank irishsteve84
Dear Guest,

Thank you for placing your opinion on TripAdvisor. We take all comments seriously.

We are sorry to hear that you were not fully satisfied with your stay on this occasion.

With regards to the shower facilities, there is in fact two communal showers for eight rooms, which normally is not a problem but on this occasion they seem to be very occupied.

Finally, we have experienced over the last 2 weeks some very unusual hot weather in London.
Unfortunately, some rooms were warmer than usual and we have since placed fans in every room at the hotel.

Again my sincere apologies.

Hotel manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I booked 2 rooms months in advance and traveled from Birmingham to Euston station, the hotel is a short walk 10 minutes at the most.. We was more than happy with booking in and the receptionist was very helpful during our stay. The rooms were small but neat and ok for 2 nights, the only downside was shared toilets which could be a waiting game.The breakfast was nice and more than enough to see you though till lunch time... I've rated it 4/5 and would stay again no problem... Bern

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bernard C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the recent comments on TripAdvisor.

We are grateful to hear that you found the STAFF HELPFUL, GOOD BREAKFAST and you would STAY AGAIN.

As an independent family business for over 40 year,s it gives enormous joy to know that you were satisfied with your stay.

Hotel manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Very nice family run hotel. We stayed here with our family for a few nights at the beginning of our trip. Clean, comfortable and very good location near Kings Cross station as well as St. Pancreas Station. Breakfast was great.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for placing your opinion on TripAdvisor.

We are really pleased that you have enjoyed your stay at the Alhambra Hotel.
We are happy to hear that you found the ROOMS CLEAN, COMFORTABLE, GREAT LOCATION AND A GOOD BREAKFAST.
From all the team at the Alhambra Hotel a Big THANK YOU and we look forward to see you again in the near future.

Evanston, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

The Alhambra is very convenient to St. Pancras Station and King's Cross Station and the associated underground stop. It is very easy to get to Heathrow via the Piccadilly line, which stops there. St. Pancras is an amazing train station, and has a variety of shops and food options. I stayed in two different rooms - several nights by myself while I was at a conference, and one with my wife when she joined me after the conference. Another bonus is being in Bloomsbury, which is an interesting area and relatively quiet once you get away from Euston. I have been in smaller rooms in Europe, and the rooms at the Alhambra were perfectly adequate, with decent storage space. The price was very reasonable. Argyle Street can be a bit noisy, but I did not have a problem with that. Breakfast was yogurt or cereal to a full English breakfast, or the part of it that you want. I would definitely stay there again and am recommending it to friends.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RAL081
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at the Alhambra Hotel on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and that you found the Alhambra Hotel to offer a GREAT LOCATION, next to ST.PANCRAS INTERNATIONAL and other connections, and that the PRICING IS REASONABLE.
Most important of all is that you would STAY AGAIN and RECOMMEND the Alhambra Hotel to your FRIENDS.
Once again thank you for the positive feedback.

Kind regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Ok so the rooms are tiny as people have mentioned, but they are clean and have all the amenities that you need and are freshly made up each day.

The staff (family run) are very friendly to deal with and the breakfast is fantastic.

Location is ideal because it's located close to Kings Cross station which is one of the better stations as it intersects with many others and makes it so easy to get around. You can also walk into Oxford Street in under 30 minutes if you wanted to.

We would definitely stay here again based on price, location and cleanliness.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Lizass12
alham1974, Manager at Alhambra Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,

From all the team at the Alhambra Hotel a big THANK YOU for placing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

As an independent small family business for over 40 years, it gives us enormous joy to hear that you were satisfied with your stay and that the rooms are CLEAN, IDEAL LOCATION AND FANTASTIC BREAKFAST.

Finally, the fact that you would STAY AGAIN with us makes us very proud.