“When visiting family, La Gaffe is the only accommodation in Hampstead”
Review of La Gaffe

La Gaffe
Ranked #429 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Our reason for staying at La Gaffe is covered in the title. The rooms are small and one has to live out of the suitcase, which, for an extended stay, is a little frustrating. We have stayed there three times and on one occassion the cleaniless of the shower was questionable. However when this was raised with Lorenzo, it was promptly attended to. The buffet breakfast has not changed in three years and is minimal, so we tended to eat out. However,Lorenzo and his staff are very friendly and courteous, so our stays have not been too stressful. The hotel is adequate value for money, given the normal prices in London!

Room Tip: Try and get a back room ,as the ambulances charging up the High street can be a challenge.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 June 2012

I travel alone, so there's a lot that matters to me when I choose lodging. I just left after a week at La Gaffe in London and again have confirmed I won't stay anywhere else in London. I travel a lot all over Europe. The strength of La Gaffe is the feeling of being welcome - they want you to feel comfortable. It is a family run hotel not a chain. The building has a history that could be capitalized upon, narrow stairs, and wood floors that creak - isn't that what most of us want in European lodging? If I wanted the feel of a Hilton, I could stay in the states. I've actually stayed at the Hilton on the Strand and paid 4 times the price of La Gaffe, and can't tell you anything about it. They certainly wouldn't remember me if I returned - the staff at La Gaffe does. The restaurant at La Gaffe is consistently good. I ate dinner there many nights and a welcome respite after a day walking all over London. The family is Italian and so it the restaurant and most of the staff. They also have a little cafe area in the reception if you only want a light bite or a drink with friends. What I like to see is that it is frequented by locals - always a good sign when you feed your neighbors and they come back. Much harder than feeding tourists.

The rooms at La Gaffe are clean and pleasant. I slept very well all 8 nights I was there and I was in probably one of their smallest rooms. Breakfast is an expanded continental with enough variety that you could eat something different every day - ham, cheese, several different breads, yogurt, several types of cereal, boiled eggs, orange juice and made-to-order coffee or tea. I am addicted to the cappuccinos. All of this at a VERY reasonable price by London standards. The tube station is just down the road. Hampstead itself is charming with several pubs, a decent high street, and plenty of shops - all an easy walk from La Gaffe. The Heath is just up the road in the opposite direction - if you are there on a Saturday, don't miss the market on the Heath - worth the walk to pick up a picnic, then enjoy the views over London. Don't miss the West Heath which is on the opposite side of the road from the Heath - gorgeous walking paths and plants. As mentioned, I've stayed in many places and neighborhoods in London, but when you find a good thing, why would you keep looking?

Room Tip: When you make reservations - let Lorenzo know what your preferences are. If street noise bothers you...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank AmandaEsteroFL
Reviewed 13 June 2012

traveling to London and staying at La Gaffe always gives you a great feeling.
this family run hotel is situated in one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in London, and each morning that you wake up there you just wish you could stay more.
The hotel is owned by an Italian family, so the warmth Italian attitude towards whoever stays or dines is one of the most nicest things you could feel in a big city like London.

the rooms are clean and very convenient, and you can even enjoy a nice cup of tea or coffee in your room (free of charge).
We know La Gaffe for more then 14 years and always happy to come back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Our stay was a mixture of the really good and the very uncomfortable. The dinner we had was very nice and I would recommend their food. Lorenzo and his staff were excellent. Great communication and very helpful. However, the room was not at all adequate. There was nowhere decent to put any of our belongings - apart from 1 bed side cabinet. There was a small fold down table but we couldn't use it as it blocked the way to one side of the bed. There was a stand alone wardrobe with 2 drawers but the wardrobe part was above them and it was so high that I couldn't reach the permanent hangers. The ensuite had been renovated but there was no soap holder in the shower and a stand alone basin with nowhere to put anything. The towels were thin and were hard to dry with, some of them were threadbare at the ends. Everything was done on the cheap - including a small plastic teaspoon for coffee. The stairs were very steep and the steps very narrow making it really difficult to get our heavy bags up and down 2 flights of stairs. We expected a small room but there is a way of making a small space work and this did not work at all.

Stayed: April 2012
5  Thank Eve C
Reviewed 5 May 2012 via mobile

I had to travel alone for one night and after pouring over review after review I came across this charming little hotel.
As soon as the taxi pulled up outside I knew id made a great choice ! I wanted somewhere with a boutique feel, and a warm and friendly- home from home atmosphere & that was exactly what I experienced. I was warmly greeted and my case was taken up for me to my room I'd treated myself to a double and was in fact given a lovely four poster bed with a most spledid en suite bathroom with a jacuzzi bath to die for !! all immaculately clean. My evening meal was superb and because the hotel is more a restaurant with rooms it was just wonderful to have a glass of wine & know i was only a staircase away from my cosy bed !!
I had a pleasant sleep, a refreshing bath and a lovely breakfast in the morning - staff on hand to provide me with anything I required AND with a friendly manner- this IS London after all!!
This family run hotel is a little gem it's somewhere I hope to come back to one day, thank you to very helpful and courteous owner Lorenzo and his staff- def ask for room 13 !!!
Only downside is the lack of parking near to the hotel-but that's what it's like throughout Hampstead- taxi in and leave the car at home !!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 5 May 2012

From the moment I arrived, I can not fault this lovely establishment. Clean, friendly, and lovely atmosphere, so rarely found these days. I was even called by my 1st name! Great value for a special place......., oozing with charm! Nothing was too much trouble and the restaurant was well priced and the food was really yummy... still dreaming about the minestrone soup lol!! Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I have stayed at the hotel for over 6 months due to business re-location, the hotel suited my requirements perfectly with its warmth and charm, the owners and staff where wonderful nothing was a problem!
La Gaffe has its own personal charm, its in Hampstead village and has a little village feel, everyone talks to each other, which being in London makes a pleasent change.
i would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for something different, its not your standard group hotel, its a private family business, and has all the charm to go with it!
The food is good and the Bar has a great crowd in the evenings, its a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are less noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo