“Recommended and Individual; a one-off.”
Review of La Gaffe

La Gaffe
Ranked #428 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Guernsey
“Recommended and Individual; a one-off.”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

An hotel adjoined to a celebrated Italian restaurant in Hampstead.The web-site is accurate and a good picture. The rooms are smallish but wholly adequate, including good shower facilities. Breakfast is simple but again fully adequate. The Italian menu is quite restricted in the number of dishes, but not so you would notice - the quality and quantity are very much above average.The staff are affable and the proprietor pleasant. Ideal for a short stay in this affluent area.

Room Tip: Rear better due to traffic, but front is OK, as you get used to it.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Located in Hampstead , this is a very nice hotel. Hampstead itself is a village which feels like a million miles away from central London , but isnt. 10 Mins on tube or 30min walk down hill to Camden. I booked late so sadly only the small front room was available but even thisw was fine , and not noisy from the traffic. The hosts were exceptionally friendly. Breakfast good , cereals , cold meets , boiled eggs , toast , juice and excellent coffee! Recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Chippenham
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We were really pleased that we chose La Gaffe for our annual family half term break in London, which is quite different to our usual chain hotel on the South Bank. We had room 17 which is a small double with four poster bed and ensuite plus an adjoining single room which our 15 year-old daughter slept in. Our 8 year old daughter had a pull out trundle bed which she said was very comfortable. The single room was unheated and therefore a bit cold, but to be honest, given the location close to Hampstead Heath and just a short tube ride into the city, we are not complaining. Breakfast was limited to a continental selection only, but was tasty and varied and the coffees and hot chocolates in particular we're lovely. We opted to eat at La Gaffe one evening and the four of us all enjoyed the beautiful and authentic Italian food on offer. Service was excellent and they were happy to provide food that was not listed on the menu (spaghetti carbonara for daughter no 1) and wine options also that were also not on the wine list but which were very good in terms of quality and value. A lovely gesture was when the waiters found out it was my birthday and they presented me with a huge slice of tiramisu with a lit candle whilst singing 'happy birthday to you' - I was very touched. Yes, rooms are small at La Gaffe, but the location is great and Lorenzo and his team could not be welcoming - many thanks!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank michelle_jane1967
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I booked the honeymoon suite for a romantic night on Valentines day in 2012....lovely staff, small room but very warm and cosy... nice clean room... there is a jacuzzi and hot towels, the wonderful "ristorante" is very romantic. In the heart of Hampstead heath lots of beaultiful places around... a gem in London

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Central Coast of Oregon
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Our recent stay here was a treat. This is a low key, friendly, small hotel with a family atmosphere without being intrusive. The hotel is very well run and Lorenzo and his staff couldn't do more to help. The restaurant serves wonderful food in an area where good food is common. Prices are reasonable for London and I would recommend this location for anyone visiting London. The tube station is only a few minutes away, as is central London. Walks on Hampstead Heath are only a few minutes away in the other direction. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. We hope to return next time were in London.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back of the building away from the road
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 20 November 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights within the past two weeks. Made our reservation on line, very easily, requesting a double, quiet room.

There was some miscommunication about having a car pick us up from Heathrow airport. I emailed back and forth with Lorenzo, the owner's son, and because I didn't know the terminal we were arriving at, no car was waiting for us. This was a bit of an inconvience, as I was in a wheelchair and a post operative foot boot. Luckily, we were assisted by the wheelchair attendant who put us in a Heathrow taxi cab. Not as cheap as a hired car, but, less expensive than a metered taxi. Because traffic was painfully slow going through Hampstead town (construction, school and rush hour at 1600), we finally reached La Gaffe in one hour.

When we checked in at La Gaffe. The man at he reception desk...don't know his name, he never introduced himself, tried to place us in a small room in the back, with NO WINDOWS!!! The only windows were in the loo! I refused this room and reminded the clerk that we were staying for five nights, and we needed to be comfortable. He said he might just have to put us in a room with two twin beds. I felt this was an inappropriate comment, as I had booked and paid for a double room well in advance.

We ended up in room #10. At the end of the hallway on the second floor (third floor by american standards). Very small, spartan room, double bed. No elevator. No view...just looking directly into another building with many windows. The bathroom very small, shower only. Hairdryer in room, but no place to plug it in in the bathroom. Plugged in the bedroom, but had to stretch to see a mirror to dry my hair. No room around the sink to place objects, but the medicine cabinet accommodated our toiletries just fine. No soap provided, but a combination of "body wash/shampoo" bottles provided. Our room was very clean and the housekeepers came daily around 1330.

La Gaffe is located on Hampstead's busy, main road (Heath). Our room was located in the rear, but still we heard traffic. Apparently, there is a hospital just down the road, so ambulance sirens were heard all day and night. After three nights, our backs were aching from the mattress and the pillows were much to be desired.

We paid around the equivalent of $175.00 per night. I did exhaustive research of hotels, B&Bs, and rooms for let, prior to making our reservation at La Gaffe. As my husband was here on business, we needed this location, and I felt La Gaffe was clean, somewhat comfortable and not too outrageously expensive. Included in our stay was a cold breakfast, from 0730 to 0930, including hard boiled eggs, meat, toast, yogurt, and cereal. Lorenzo was there every morning to make guests a cappucino or latte.

What made our stay most enjoyable was Lorenzo, who works so very hard and does his best with little help from family. Although the B&B adverts say "family run", Lorenzo's father and mother are now retired, and I am not sure if any other family member is involved.

What made our stay 100% better, was La Gaffe's restaurant, which serves an excellent Italian cuisine and wine for lunch and dinner. Our best meal while staying in London was at La Gaffe for dinner, and our excellent server was Danello. I will write more about this experience under the restaurant rating.

La Gaffe is a nice little place....could use an uplift with new mattresses, pillows and bedding to make guests more comfortable. (Again, I can only speak of room #10). I gave four star rating because of Lorenzo's dedication, but this is definitely an average place for accommodations.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room in the rear. And make sure you don't get the horribl...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2012

A friendly small hotel with a pleasant and very reasonably priced winebar/restaurant.Rooms are spotelsly clean quit and comforatble with lovely modern bathrooms.Bacuse the roms are in anold building they are compact but plenty big enough-I'm not sure how much spce people think thye need in a bedroom.Good area and I felt very safe going back and forth on a winter's evening on my own.Easy walk to the Tube for Northern line-I was working near Trafalgar squre every day and found it an easy commute.I think it's a real find!

Room Tip: rooms at back are very,very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business