“A Hampstead gem!”

La Gaffe
Ranked #430 of 1,069 Hotels in London
“A Hampstead gem!”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We were so lucky to find La Gaffe! A brilliant location in Hampstead - close to restaurants, the tube, Tesco, everything you could want - and the friendliest staff we've come across. Nothing was too much trouble. Rooms are quite basic, but a comfy bed and a hot shower were brilliant. It's a lovely cosy place, and we would recommend it to others staying in London. Breakfasts, and the best coffee we had in London, were terrific. Thank you all so much for making our time in London such a wonderful time. Caity and Adam Robertson xx

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Located near Hampstead heath- it's a small quaint guest house-ish hotel owned by an Italian.
As you enter it has a small bar and resto. It also has another morning breakfast area with glass facade so you can see outside.
The staff is very helpful and friendly. Location of the hotel- is about 5 mins uphill walk from the Hampstead tube station and walking distance from green and pretty Hampstead heath.
Things to note- the hotel doesnt have an elevator- so you would have to drag up/down your luggage and staircase is narrow.
I stayed in a single room which is very small with an attached bath. if you have two big suitcases- there may be lack of space in this room.
TV channels were plenty. breakfast was but tasty and sufficient.
Pasta is very good!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Swindon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

A colleague and I stayed here as we needed to be near two places that were within walking distance. As always I checked Tripadvisor and the hotels own website. The rooms were clean - however, I am not keen on single beds or blankets and bedspreads these days. Also if you have trouble climbing stairs this hotel is not for you. My case was kindly carried up for me, but getting it back down the next day was difficult on the very steep narrow steps.

We had a car with us and, in fairness, the hotel is upfront on their site that there isnt parking - however it does indicate that there is some not to far away. However, when we got there having driven around for an hour trying to find the places that the hotel indicates, and asked the owner where the parking that they talk about on their web site, we were just told with a shrug no parking in Hampstead! we were disapointed with the attitude so decided that we would eat elsewhere - once we managed to find some parking.

However, at breakfast there was a young chap (we think the owners son) was on duty and the greeting was more friendly and if he had been on the night before myself and my colleague both said we would have eaten there the night before.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with steep narrow stairs I would suggest looking at other options
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jane S
LaGaffeUK, General Manager at La Gaffe, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am really sorry that you felt disappointed. We are fully aware of our limitations in respect to the truly dismal parking situation and the compromises we have to make in respect to our old buildings. If stairs are a problem, we are probably not the place for those with an issue. However, I am always here to help and I will try my best to do so. In the not too distant future we will be doing away with sheets and blankets on the beds and introduce duvets for all the rooms. Slowly slowly we are always looking at ways to improve and all opinions matter. Best wishes, Lorenzo.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I went today for the food and it's truly the best Italian Restaurant I've ever been too! The service was first class and the food was beyond stunning! It's not too filling but It's just enough to satisfy you. Every part of the restaurant is first class and I cannot recommend it enough to anyone who wants a brilliant night out. The Spaghetti Bolognase and Ice Cream are the best I've ever had. A must do for anyone in London at anytime in any circumstances!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
canberra
Reviewed 20 August 2013

After experiencing a terrible time at other hotel in London, we returned to an old favourite, La Gaffe. Lorenzo is always welcoming and we are made to feel at home, by the test of the staff as well. After a day out in London it is refreshing to get bakc to Hampsteab, where the air is just a little bit clearer and the atmosphere calmer. Enough restaurants in the area to satisfy a number of tastes, as well as rhe great little Italian restaurant on the ground floor of the hotel. A celing fan in our room kept the temperature down, during a hot London summer. A very pleasant stay and Lorenzo always charming and willing to look after the small things.

Room Tip: Maybe a room at the back, a bit quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Vancouver
Reviewed 12 July 2013

All I could have asked for as a woman travelling alone. The staff are friendly and accommodating, the first impression of my room was before I even entered: I could smell how clean it was. The room was small, but very well planned and I didn't need anything more. The bathroom was new and clean. A real treat to be in London but also away from noisy tourist districts to have a quiet night's sleep. The food was lovely, and the website very specifically indicates it is not a fancy breakfast. There was plenty to eat, and the coffees were individually made to order.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank SophieJane
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We enjoyed our stay at La Gaffe, especially due to the nice attitude of Lorenzo (the landlord) who was very kind and caring to us. The rooms are nice though a bit small, but very clean. Only a few minutes walk from the underground station which is very convenient.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the back to avoid noise from the main street.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family