“Perfectly Pleasant - clean & friendly”
Review of La Gaffe

La Gaffe
Ranked #431 of 1,068 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Perfectly Pleasant - clean & friendly”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

At the very last minute, Lorenzo and Giuseppi welcomed my mum who was visiting after her previous lodging plans fell through. We live nearby, so we wanted her to stay within an easy walk. To be honest, I had seen the photos on their website and had passed over it initially. Once I went to check out two different rooms, I was delightfully surprised. I don't know if they have refurbished since they took those pics on the website, and I can only speak for the two Double-bed rooms I saw, but Room 13 and Family Room 18 were basic but incredibly clean and both had new bathrooms. They are bare bones, but this is to be expected at this price in London. The rooms I saw were not dingy or worn, they were super clean and perfectly pleasant for the cost. Lorenzo the owner, was so lovely and charming and is around from dawn to dusk to happily answer any questions. All the staff is very friendly and helpful. We are really happy to know La Gaffe is a good spot to recommend to friends who visit but want to stay in Hampstead.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelBugger8888

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We had a really lovely experience at our Staff Xmas dinner last night.
The service was speedy very pleasant and the food was excellent.
The whole meal was delightful and we all complimented the chef and the staff.
Thank you; it's a place to rely on.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
uk
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The location is near Hampstead station, rooms are above an italian restaurant straight from 1975, owners are friendly but the problem is the rooms are in need of a refurbishment- the shower dripped water, room were tired and worn and soundproofing not great. With a small investment this place could be super

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sankes
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I booked Hampstead, as I had old friends nearby I was visiting, who were full up, so I couldn't stay with them. Only one night. This is basically a hostel. A tiny warren of teeny rooms, up the stairs from a lovely restaurant. The neighborhood has everything, and you can walk or take the tube. The restaurant looked very nice, but I didn't have time to try it. It also has a tiny, sort of charming, old, French village, bar area, with limited seating, next to it. There is construction of some kind going on next door, so the first room I was shown, looked out on an unsightly, depressing mess. I called the manager, and he showed me a larger, family room in the annex building, and another, facing the front road, which I took. Honestly, if I'd had more time, and wasn't visiting locally, or flying out in the morning, I would have moved hotel. The internet didn't work, the whole time I was there, and a table kept breaking, which held the phone, the electric kettle needed cleaning and de-scaling, the curtains were grey, and needed a wash, there wasn't room enough to swing a cat, and the teeny, hallway outside is uncarpeted, so one hears people coming and going etc. Also, I felt uncomfortable about sleeping in the bed with the old fashioned blanket, which is used by more than one person, instead of a duvet. I was quite miserable. Not at all what I expected. Not a cozy, elegant, comfortable hotel, where one can relax, and take a nap before dinner, and enjoy the feeling of London. Instead, I couldn't wait to leave, but not being able to get on the internet, I couldn't even find another hotel to book . 89 pounds seemed terribly over-priced, however, as everyone keeps mentioning - this is Hampstead. All this being said, (and I'm not sure there ever is Internet?), it is a clean hostel, the bathroom, while very basic, with old towels and tiny again, was re-done, and the manager is nice and tries to help. I think if you're prepared for this, and need or want to be in Hampstead only, and don't want to spend more for a hotel, and will be out and about most of the time, then go. I guess this is what is available at that price in London? I would think it would great for young people on a budget, and unable to stay anywhere else. Just not for me.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank InlovewGstaad
LaGaffeUK, Manager at La Gaffe, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write. I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us...It is not the common experience of most of our visitors. However, I appreciate what you have mentioned and I am already aware of some issues that we have plans to deal with in the very near future. We are a small family run business and each year we try to make improvements. I am glad you noticed the bathroom, which we have updated in all the rooms. We are currently fixing the roof which unfortunately created the mess that distrurbed you. My apologies, not at all what I hoped for, but it was cleared the following day. The internet we offer for free as a courtesy to our guests. Unfortunately, it crashed. This can happen any where at anytime. I am sorry it was nuiscance for you. Again, we will be upgrading our wireless network to hopefully eradicate any future problems. I want all my guests to be happy and we try to do the best with the limitations that buildings from the 1850's provide. I feel we do a good job and represent good value for money. We are always striving to improve and appreciate every comment. I wish you well.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed here for a few days while sitting an exam at the Royal Free Hospital which is only a 10 minute walk away. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and made me feel very welcome. The room was small but clean and perfectly well equipped. The food was good and reasonably priced. The breakfast buffet wasn't fancy but again was perfectly adequate.

I chose La Gaffe largely because of the price but I was very lucky to find somewhere so pleasant. For London this hotel is amazingly cheap and I would thoroughly recommend it.

And the "spirit of La Gaffe" must have been with me because I passed the exam!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank suzymhall
LaGaffeUK, Manager at La Gaffe, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for your kind words, I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. And I am even more pleased that you passed your exam...Congratulations!
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

On arrival we were initially taken out of the restaurant to a separate annex building where we were allocated a tiny double room. Lorenzo did apologise for the building work and the piles of rubbish outside the entrance but it was not what we had expected, the room was tiny and drab. However when we enquired later if any alternative rooms above the restaurant were available we were moved to a twin room, without any problems, on the second floor which had very comfortable beds, a not very powerful shower, was more spacious, over-looked the main road (although this was not noisy) and was far more atmospheric. We guess the reason we were allocated the room in the annex is because we had requested a double and there were none available above the restaurant. Stairs, as mentioned in previous reviews, could be a problem for the less mobile. There is a tiny bar area which was lively at teatime and a small reception desk between the bar and restaurant. We had a continental breakfast, self service apart from tea or coffee, with a somewhat limited choice in the restaurant area. Our evening meal in the restaurant was pleasant, the service attentive and the food good. We enjoyed the evening and whilst nothing special it was nice.

Room Tip: Request a room that is above the restaurant and not the annex and say so when booking if you have mo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
LaGaffeUK, Manager at La Gaffe, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
I always like to thank everyone for taking the time to write. If anyone has any particular queries about our rooms, I always hope they will contact me directly. I can then tell people exactly what we have and the pro's and con's of each room. I am always amazed at how different people react to different rooms..... This is personal choice and I am glad we could find a solution for you. I am very honest about what we have and I try my best make sure we can make our guests happy.
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Situated on Heath Street in Hampstead, this little hotel gives the impression that time has stood still. The ground floor is the restaurant. Originally a French restaurant, now Italian, it is decorated in the art Deco style reminiscent of pre WW11. Above is a warren of rooms with quite a lot of stairs and fire doors to negotiate. I didn't see any sign of a lift, so this hotel really could not be suitable for persons who have difficulty climbing stairs. The rooms are basically decorated, but clean and well-maintained. The beds are very comfortable but have blankets rather than duvets.
Breakfast is served in the restaurant downstairs. Self-service, really, except for the tea or coffee. No hot food for breakfast, just continental style which was fine for me. We had dinner in the restaurant on two evenings and the food and service was first-class.
The staff are very friendly and attentive, but I personally feel that the room was a little overpriced. However, it is in Hampstead, and overheads are presumably quite high.

Room Tip: Not for you if you have any disability.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple