“Good but maddening.”

Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel
Ranked #136 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 May 2012

This is a good, clean, modern value in what has got the be one of the best locations for visiting London. But consider:

Overnight flight to Heathrow, with bulky suitcases on underground to hotel (Piccadilly Line from HR to Pic Circus, change to Bakerloo line to Waterloo), several block walk through wind, rain and cold (end of April), carry heavy bags up approx. 15 steps to hotel entrance, come into lobby to find a couple of large machines that say "Sorry, closed until 2 PM [!?]" Yes, these are the fancy check in machines telling you to go away for awhile. Nice person at a podium seems trained to be secondary to the damn things, says "Well, they might open up again by 1:30." "But," you whine, "long overnight flight, wind rain, cold, bags, exhausted." "Well maybe if you try at 12:30." The whole thing is frustrating and confusing. With the tyranny of the machine at the point of human check-in, found later that when we had some problems to solve, weren't quite sure if the humans had any authority. Sounds overstated perhaps, but the human reception at hotel check in is like the conductor of the symphony, the primary contact with the workings of the hotel. This is a not a tube station where you can purchase an Oyster card. This is a hotel where we will live and sleep at a cost of 250.00 per night. Great people on the staff here, and they should be the primary contact with the customer. And when we finally could check in, the real person had to take me through the machine process step by step, made me feel stupid, which I tend to get after all night up on a plane, wind, rain. etc. I suppose this is someone at corporate's idea of a new frontier in hotel keeping, but it had nothing to do with my needs as a high paying customer. Other issues: free 30 minutes wifi was useless, kept dropping the signal with my new Acer Tablet, would tell me I'd used up my full 30 minutes when I'd only used 5 or 10. Finally had to go downstairs to the lobby in my pajamas in the middle of an internet process to finish something. If the machines were offended by my casual appearance they were kind enough not to say anything. Free, usable, effective wifi is as important to the traveler these days as electricity and toilets. Tired to death of hotels playing their little cat and mouse games with it. Also, this is a duvet bed covering place which led to night sweats for both of us despite the cold,wind, etc. Housemaid helped my wife to gin up something else that actually included real sheets. Finally for those a bit on, the distance between bathroom floor and shower floor seems like 10 or 12 feet with only a towel rack to hold onto. Lawsuit waiting to happen.

Otherwise, highly recommended for value, good people, excellent location. My rating is 4 stars with one subtracted for the machines and wifi.

Room Tip: Don't think you get to choose here. You stick your credit card into the machines, you take your...
2  Thank VaBookwriter
EdTed, Operations Manager at Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Thank you for your feedback and comments. I am pleased that overall you found our hotel to be good but I am disappointed that we failed to meet your expectations in a number of areas. I apologise about the steps up to the hotel, we are a listed building and therefore we are unable to make major changes to our entrance. We do however have a bell at our entrance that guests can ring if they require assistance in gaining entrance to the hotel. The aim of our quick and easy check in experience is designed to move you through our lobby into your room as quickly as possible, which frees up our team to interact with our guests and move freely around the lobby to assist everyone. I apologise if this is not the atmosphere that you experience when you checked in. Our check in does commence from 2pm, we are always very full and therefore our housekeeping team work hard to turn around our rooms for check in time. We do have left luggage facilities to enable you to store your luggage and get on with your day. We do try and open our quick and easy check in facility as soon as we know that we have rooms available. Thank you for your feedback about our Wifi. We are shortly embarking on an upgrade program after listening to guest feedback which will replace key wifi signal areas around the building. Thank you for your feedback about our room and bathroom set up, I will ensure that this is passed on to our Housekeeping Manager. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed our location, team and found our hotel to be good value for money. I look forward to welcoming you back if you are in London again.

Reviewed 5 May 2012

Stayed 3 nights (Tues-Fri). The location is superb. Sights, restaurants and transport all within easy walking distance. Hotel staff were very attentive and helpful.
Our room was large, comfortable and very clean. Only critcisms I would make were that the bathroom and room doors bang when closing over which means you can hear others coming and going which was quite irritating (woke me up a couple of times). Also, the room was really warm - but I may have been a bit useless with the thermostat (though I don't think I was).
I have stayed in other Premier Inns and always found them to be very good value for money. This hotel is pricey compared to them however, it is in a prime London location and I think you'd be hard pushed to find anything better in that location for less.

Room Tip: Room 325 was large and very clean but beware the doors if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your feedback and five star review. I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our team to be helpful and friendly. Thank you for your feedback about your room, I will share your comments with our housekeeping and maintenance team. We are trying to keep our rooms as warm as possible at the moment given the current weather conditions but I will ensure that your feedback is shared with them. I am pleased overall that you considered your stay to be of good value for money. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2012

Good standards all round, clean, big rooms, internet connectivity doubtful at times, very busy so get into breakfast early to avoid massive queues and food running out at very busy times. One of the best locations in London. Staff are very good too,

1  Thank cidermanSlough

Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. Thank you for your comments about our Wifi, we are working hard to improve this experience at the moment and we are planning several technical and network improvements over the next few months which should improve this experience. Thank you for your feedback about our breakfast, we try hard to manage this at peak leisure times so that all guests can have an enjoyable breakfast. I will pass this feedback on to our Food and Beverage Manager. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

Had a great stay here. Stayed for a night after a heavy weekend festival-ing... Was just what the doctor ordered. Great value for a double room, very comfy, clean and chilled out. Excellent location for sight seeing, eating, drinking or commuting. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback and five star review. I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our rooms to be clean and comfortable allowing you to relax and unwind. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

The hotel is in a prime location with two good train and tube stations nearby. The bed was exceedingly comfortable and very easy to sleep in. The shower had very good pressure and it delivered warm water without interruption. Best of all you get 30 mins free wifi daily for quick email checks! Overall a great hotel with excellent rooms!

• Stayed: April 2012

Thank you for your feedback and five star review. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and enjoyed our room set up, we put a lot of emphasis and effort into ensuring that your bed is comfortable and of good quality so I am glad you found this. Thank you for your feedback regarding our showers and wifi experience. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed at this Premier Inn due to its location, and we were not disappointed. Within 1 minute of leaving the hotel we saw the Eye, Westminster and Big Ben. Great for the kids as they were instantly impressed. Location of Tube stations and trains is perfect. Hotel was everything you expect from a Premier Inn. Staff were friendly, room was clean and breakfast was good with plenty of it. Our only complaint was the price. For two nights it cost nearly £400 for a family room with breakfast, which was steep for a budget hotel. It was London Marathon weekend, so think they hiked the prices up. Not sure how much they charge on non event weekends. Overall very good, just expensive

• Stayed: April 2012
EdTed, Operations Manager at Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased that you had a good stay with us and appreciate your positive comments about the staff and the breakfast. I am sorry that you felt the weekend rates were expensive but I hope that you felt it was good value for money. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

i stayed a night in this premier inn hotel and was very impressed. somebody recommended i stay here and i was glad i did. trip was on business and i was on my own but met up with people later at night. hotel is ideally situated just behind the london eye. i thought ever single member of staff were polite and all seemed to know exactly what to do. the check in - automatic - was slick and the room i was given was really nice and comfortable. i did not get a view of the thames but i did not ask for one. i didn't have dinner but had the breakfast which was priced at £8.00. a bargain - it had everything you could need - cereals, fruit , cooked breakfast, different breads, juices, coffee machines - all very well made and nice quality. i will definitely recommend to others and will plan my future trips around the county hall.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your positive feedback, I am pleased that you had an enjoyable experience at the hotel and found our team to be both knowledgable and helpful. I am glad you found the automatic check in easy and efficient to use.
It was great to read that you chose to take breakfast with us in the morning and found it to be good value for money. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.