“London County Hall - Premier Inn”

Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel
Ranked #148 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Just spent 2 days in Premier Inn County Hall London. Booked on the internet and got a good rate of £80 per night for the room and breakfast at 8.95 per person. My wife and I really enjoyed the location being a 3 minute walk to Waterloo Station and right next to the London Eye and Cruises etc which we used. The location is excellent being across Westminster Bridge from Houses of Parliment etc so everything is really close e.g. Tate / Abbey / shopping etc all walkable.
The greeting at reception and assistance was excellent and far better than other hotels I use, some major chains as well, as I travel a lot for work. The room was clean and comfortable with everything you need... and again clean!! Breakfast was excellent though make sure you pick your times as it can get busy. The luggage room was great as we left the luggage at the hotel and collected it later in day when we left.
I cannot fault the hotel or service and the location is perfect being very central, £80 per room per night is fantastic in central London.
Cannot rate the resturant as we booked and ate at Gilvary's right next to the Premier Inn though still in County Hall which has a huge selection of Gin's (Lovely!!) and great views of Houses of Parliment while you dine!
Great hotel.

Room Tip: Book on line early and save money...
1  Thank Graham C
Ed_Pyke, Operations Manager at Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2012

Thank you for your feedback and review. I am delighted that you had a good stay with us and I am pleased that you enjoyed our central location, and found our reception team to be friendly and helpful. This is exactly the type of atmosphere we hope to create. I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast and made use of our left luggage facilities. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,736)

Reviewed 31 October 2012

We have just returned from a flying visit to London. We chose the Premier Inn County Hall as it was in the heart of London and we had a weddinenin the HOuse Of Commons, we were sure it would provide a good standard of accomodation making our stay in London as stress free and enjoyable as possible. We learned that the location and hotel was ideal for us. It was amazing waking up to the sound of Big Ben chiming. The hotel is right beside the London Eye so there is a buzz in the air, its great fun leaving us longing to return to the same hotel in London but for longer next time.
Firstly we couldnt help but notice the security in the hotel was the very best we had ever seen. There is one entrance door that is well guarded, you can only go up in the lifts by putting your room card into the lift meaning even if the odd stranger walks in they wouldnt get past the entrance. The rooms were large, plenty of room with a king size bed, very modern rooms but very little staorage space infact that was a problem and we were only staying two nights. Got a shock when I saw there were no samples of bubble bath, soap or shampoos. You could buy them at reception but as there is a wee general store across the street, we made a quick trip over there and got what we had decided not the carry down in the plain with us.
I really must stress that if you have a problem with getting up and down steps this is not the hotel for you, to enter the hotel you firstly have to lug your cases up the very steep steps of which there are about twenty. I found this to be very hard as you really did have to lift them up each step one by one. There is no ramp to run your case up so I would think older people would have quite a problem getting in and out of the hotel even without their cases. I am sure the taxi drivers would help you in with cases but remember you still want to feel you can get out and about with out having to be lifted down stairs.I am told that there is infact a bell outside, if you ring this bell you will get help with your luggage.
All in all we fantastic stay, the hotel is of very high standard it is really well run with hard working and lovely friendly staff. We chose to eat at the hotel in the evening as we had walked miles during the day wanting to see all the sights we could on our mini break. Our meal was very good with plenty of choices, a bottle of decent white wine, two main meals and one dessert with two coffees came to forty pounds, not pricey we felt very pleased with our food and the service.
We learned we could have saved money on paying for our breakfasts by choosing a three course evening meal for twenty two pounds each. We read the menu and felt disapointed when we read that you got a free breakfast with the three course meal. We had booked up for accomodation with breakfasts at an extra cost of thirteen pounds each for each night of our stay. That was something we said we would be sure let others know about on trip adivsor. Enquire about the meal deals when booking up. Its the only thing that we could say we felt we should have thought of, I guess that was our our own fault for not asking when we booked up months ago. Maybe thats the downfall of booking online months in advance. I hope telling you this will mean you can make use of the offer on your holiday.
Roll on our holiday, we know if its London we will stay at the same hotel its ideal for people that want to feel safe in the area they are saying ( its on a private road ) with good room sizes, good value for your money with the choice of meals that I am sure would suit most tastes.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback and review. I am delighted that you had a good stay with us and I am pleased that you enjoyed our central location, felt safe and secure and found your room to be clean and comfortable. Thank you for your feedback about our front entrance, unfortunately we are unable to adapt this as we are a listed building but we do indeed have a bell at the bottom that you can ring for assistance. I am pleased that you enjoyed your restaurant experience and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

Great location, friendly staff, clean & comfy rooms. Used the VIP Carparking service which proved to be excellent and also competitive rates. Xavier was extremely helpful and assisted with luggage which left us free to sort out young children after a long journey, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Higher floors on East side have views of river, London eye
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Ed_Pyke, Operations Manager at Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Thank you for your feedback and review. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our hotel to be clean and comfortable with great team service. Thank you for your feedback about our VIP Car Parking service, this is a great new addition to our services and I am delighted to hear that it was useful. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

The location of this hotel is perfect and this was our 3rd visit. We have never had any problems when staying here, the staff are always friendly and the rooms what you would expect from a Premier Inn, clean, a good size and with a comfy bed.

Unfortunately there were a few niggles this time.

There is Tea & Coffee supplied in the room but we did not have any spoons and the soap dispenser in the bath was broken.

There is building work going on somewhere nearby that started at 7:25am. No warning was given about this! It was extremely loud, there was no chance of going back to sleep and the vibrations could be felt in the room. Then at 9am there was a knock at the door from Housekeeping. I was surprised as we were checking out that day, if we had gone down for an early breakfast she would have made up our room and we would have come back used the shower etc. Not good for the next guests.

As we were staying on a Sunday night we asked when checking in what time the bar would be open to and were told that it was 1am. But when we came back for a last drink before going to bed found out that on a Sunday it closed at 12am.

It was a shame about the above and we felt let down after our previous visits.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback and review. I am delighted that you found our team friendly and helpful and enjoyed our clean and comfortable rooms. I apologise if you were missing spoons in your room and your dispenser was broken. Our reception can always be contacted on 5555 so please let us know if you encounter any issues again and we can sort them straight away. The London Dungeons are currently being built nearby, and we do have a warning on our website about this however they should not be drilling at this time. Our reception team can always be contacted to look into any early morning noise issues and investigate them with our landlord. Thank you for your feedback about our housekeeping and bar, I will pass these onto our relevant department heads in order to improve our service. Thank you for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and in fairness the room we were given with disabled access was really good. The staff were amazingly helpful, polite and cheerful under exceptional busy circumstances. Unfortunately disabled access is not so good, the exit we were shown needed a member of staff to take you down to the basement and then needed someone to let you out of the gate. This was not ideal at night and we struggled up and down the entrance steps as luckily my son can walk a little. My two sisters had booked a twin room, the first room they were given had a double bed and a sofa bed, when they complained they were told that in a Premier Inn "twin room" is 2 beds of any size. They were given another room but again this was not acceptable as the second bed was a "put-up". They eventually settled for a room containing a double bed and a single bed which meant that although the both paid the same price one was lucky enough to get a much larger bed. Staff were apologetic but didn't ease the situation be explaining that all the rooms with 2 double beds were allocated to families. Breakfast on the Sunday morning was a nightmare but again the staff were amazing. It was so busy that it was impossible to get coffee, bacon or eggs without queuing for sometime. Would I stay again? Possibly as the location is excellent and if you book far enough in advance you can get a good deal. We paid a premium for the Saturday night but we only booked 10 days earlier.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback and review. I am pleased that you found our team friendly and helpful. We are a listed building and therefore disabled access is difficult. We have a deployable stairlift that can be used by all our team members and a bell at the bottom of the stairs to ring if you require assistance, unfortunately we are unable to adapt our main entrance any further. We also have a rear entrance to our property through our basement which is what you experienced. We do have a variety of different set ups for our twin room, and I apologise that you were disappointed with our room configurations. Thank you for your feedback about our breakfast buffet, we are currently applying to build an extension to this to ease the buffet area however during school holidays it can get very busy. Thank you for your feedback and if we can be of assistance with future bookings then please don't hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

My second visit to this hotel and just as good as the first, excellent value and the location great. Very friendly staff and always happy to help. Room yet again very good, clean, spacious and did get a good night's sleep. . . .will stay here again and have already recommended you to my friends.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Ed_Pyke, Operations Manager at Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2012

Thank you for your feedback and review, I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed our central location, team service and room. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 29 October 2012 via mobile

Have just returned from a 2 night stay (Saturday & Sunday), booked on a post Olympic promotion and paid £128 for the 2 nights. The location was perfect for us travelling into Waterloo from the south to attend a party on the Thames on Saturday night and a concert at The O2 Arena on the Sunday.

Location - This is where the hotel deserves 10/10, it's an 8 minute walk from Waterloo station and located right next to the London Eye. We had no trouble getting a black cab outside and also used the Thames clipper boat service to The O2. There's so much to see and do in easy walking distance and close to many transport & tourist options.

Facilities - There was a bar & restaurant which we didn't use, also vending machines, costa coffee machine, self service check in and luggage storage. Directly opposite the hotel is a cafe/restaurant along with a 24hr convenience store. Many eateries and bars can be accessed in a matter of moments by foot.

Rooms - Our room was clean and spacious, space & London hotel rooms don't normally go side by side but I was pleased to find the normal premier inn standards here, comfy bed, cosy duvet, clean towels, kettle, tv and a desk. There was also a thermostat to control the room temperature.

Now for the bad points we experienced...

Our first room was 248, when we opened the curtains we were presented with scaffolding and the wooden support beams literally right on our window frame, wasn't happy about this so went to reception to ask for another room. They moved us to room 262, this room was much bigger but unfortunately the view was not much better (see pics) with added cobwebbed filthy windows... I appreciate that works do have to be carried out especially with a building like county hall, however it would have been nice to have some pre warning of this, if I was a tourist who had paid the normal rack rate for this hotel I would not have been happy, I think it's worth knowing that you aren't guaranteed a pretty river/london eye view. The downside to this is that we were woken at 6am on Monday morning to the sound of workmen, this was raised on check out and true to their word, premier inn did refund our Sunday night charge, we didn't press for a refund of Saturday night as we slept fine then without workmen noise and were happy to pay for Saturday night.

Another frustrating aspect was the bathroom door, which was a heavy door with no kind of hinge stop so could not be held open at all. After a shower the bathroom became very steamy due to a lack of ventilation, not being able to prop the door open to let out steam was annoying, we had to make shift a door prop which involved 2 belts being tied to the towel rail.

Overall, the hotel served its purpose for us and delivered the expected premier inn standard. Would I stay here again, yes if the price was right, I wouldn't pay the suggested £150-£190 a night to stay here, but if you can grab a deal its worth it.

• Stayed: October 2012