“Great Value in an Excellent Location”

Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel
Ranked #136 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Sunshine Coast, Australia
“Great Value in an Excellent Location”
Reviewed 24 October 2005

If you are on a budget and want to spend your pounds doing things in London then this is perfect. However if you want to spend your time and money admiring your luxuious hotel room you will be disappointed. The hotel is right beside the London Eye,Westminister Bridge, Big Ben etc. It's only minutes away from Waterloo station for those arriving or leaving on the Eurostar. The entrance is rather unassuming and is on the side of the building away from the Thames. We had no problems with check in although we did notice longer lines at other times. The staff were all very helpful, cheerful and efficient during our stay. The lobby and restaurant areas were very pleasant. Our family room was very clean and quite spacious. The beds were all very comfortable and the furnishings functional although a little basic. We ate in the restaurant for breakfast one morning. It was quite reasonable as both children ate for free and we certainly didn't need to spend much money on lunch that day. For other meals there were lots of options nearby. This hotel represents excellent value, especially for families, in an unbeatable location.

9 Thank HarleyB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (892)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed 22 October 2005

I always stay at this hotel every time I go to London, which is several times a year. Finding a family room for myself & children is a nightmare in London, in that most reasonably priced hotels, only provide a double room. This hotel is outstandingly the best. You will save a fortune in time, money & energy because of the fact that it is so central. London is vast & yet most of the places of interest are within walking distance of this hotel. Yes, there is no chitz, fancy toiletries or complimentary bath robes - but if you're looking for this, there are plenty of hotels in London that will provide this level of service, with fussy, obliging staff & they'll charge you an absolute fortune for the priviledge !! - I personally would rather spend my money on other more worthwile things !! - I like the spacious feel to this hotel & if you're lucky enough to have a room that overlooks Jubilee Gardens, it is absolute bliss !!

• Stayed August 2005
10 Thank Designergirl
Bellevue, WA
Reviewed 21 October 2005

We stayed for two nights, 3 and 4 Oct. First - the street in front of the hotel is blocked - there is no traffic - which contributes to the quietness of the hotel. We we on the fifth floor. Second - if a person were to calculate the absolute dead center of all the London atractions, the center point would be very near this hotel which was the former goverment building for the city of London until 1986. The side next to the river is now the Marriott Hotel and the side away from the river is the Premier Travel Inn. The rooms are modern and clean, which cannot be said for many of the other hotels in this price category - they are old converted Victorian block homes. There is a Starbucks and an internet cafe accross the street. Nearby is Waterloo Station with a no fee ATM. Tube station is nearby. When I say nearby, I mean a 5 minute walk. The London Eye (Ferris Wheel) is next to the hotel so if you are looking for the hotel on a map of London, you will see why for the reasons above, the hotel has 99% positive reviews. The few negative reviews mainly mean the persons booked the wrong hotel for what they expected. For example, there are steps up to the front door and no doorman. On the other hand, there is a luggage storage service in a separate locked room for up to 9 PM after you check out. There is a safe deposit box service and a reasonably priced restaurant in the hotel. Our room had a double bed and a sofa bed. This is an excellent hotel for families and tourists who want to be centrally located in London, which means if traveling by tube, there will shorter distances to travel than if you were in one end of the London area.

• Stayed October 2005
11 Thank eggwhite
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2005

Grumpy receptionist, sterile atmosphere, uncomfortable bed, cheap pillows, noisy rooms, terrible breakfast - typical cheap London hotel!
Only saving grace is it's location.

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business
2 Thank Bluebellracing
Reviewed 28 September 2005

Stayed at this hotel 16 through 20 September 2005. Location is superb, 50 m from the London Eye, a couple of minutes walk from Westminster Bridge for all the buses, and 5 minutes from both Waterloo Stations.
We were 2 adults and 2 children aged 11 and 8. Room was a fair size; oldest slept on the couch made up as a bed which was OK, the other on a mattress on the floor which was not that good. Our bed was comfortable.
Bathroom was clean and in good order. As we were going to our room on the third floor just after checking in we heard a baby crying but that was the last we heard it. The room was quiet, faced the park next to the Eye. We all slept ok, even though the Thames festival meant bands were playing on the Saturday and Sunday in the park next door.
We ate at the Noodle Box which other reviewers recommended, and we agreed; we also found a nice Italian restaurant underneath Waterloo station where we ate 2 nights. The Internet cafe across the road isn't too bad - 1 pound for 30 minutes. And the Tesco Express at Westminster Station sells croissants etc for breakfast, which was great value. We thought that was better than paying 6.95 pounds per person over the age of 10 for an all you can eat breakfast.
We did eat one night in the restaurant in the Hotel and that was quite acceptable.
Service at the hotel was good and the phone card they offered was good value. We knew there was no cooling but didn't expect to use it at this time of year - and didn't need it.
We made good use of the tea and coffee making facilities.
We used the 3 pound all day bus tickets to get around London, it was cheaper than buying the travel cards, but I guess it depends on how far you want to travel.
Don't expect a fridge. If they had one in the room, it would make the place hard to beat, due to the location and the excellent price. I would definitely stay there again.

16 Thank MelbGirl
Minnetonka, MN
Reviewed 28 September 2005

We stayed at the Premier Travel Inn for 2 nights in September. The location was wonderful, basically located right under the London Eye. Very easy to get to all the top tourist destinations, either by walking or by the Tube. Also, the Waterloo station is basically a block or so away, which is ideal for those people taking Eurostar to Paris. Another benefit is the cheap internet cafe across the street.

The rooms themselves were very basic, no frills. You sort of felt like you were sleeping in a dorm room. There is no air-conditioning, but they do offer a small fan, which is of minimal assistance. Check-in time is 2pm, but I would suggest arriving a bit earlier. We arrived right at 2pm, and there was already a long line. (mostly older couples and families.)

Overall we enjoyed the location, but the rooms felt so small and cold. If you go into it understanding this fact and don't plan on spending much time in the room (other than sleeping) this is a nice "lower priced" option in London.

12 Thank AGoldie
Florida
Reviewed 27 September 2005

If you have stayed in London very many times then you will know that it's quite difficult to find a decently priced hotel with good-sized rooms, etc.

I was pleasantly surprised with this place. The staff was very good and helpful. I needed extra pillows because I can't sleep "flat" and they were immediately provided. I asked for a view and they told me to come back in a half hour and they'd do what they could. We went to eat in the hotel restaurant called "Slice" and when we returned we had a room with a view. Everything was clean, always had soap and shampoo and towels provided daily. Maids and desk people were always nice and eager to help. I was not careful to keep the shower curtain in the tub one night so I flooded the floor and had to go down and ask for towels to mop the floor with. They gave me several and smiled saying that was a bit of a problem at times and it was no big deal. Asked if I needed housekeeping to come up to mop up for me. I wanted a top sheet and they gave me one with no problems at all. The main thing was that the place was scrupulously CLEAN and that I liked. The room was large. We stayed there for nine days and nights. I've stayed many places in London over the years so I knew that if I wasn't pleased there were several other places I could go to but I was quite happy here. The breakfast is not included and a bit expensive but there is a convenience store across the street. Two streets over are several small places to eat. It's located so close to everything. The walk along the Thames, Westminster Bridge, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben. the London Eye, the tube stop across the bridge is a five minute walk, Westminster Pier where the boats leave from....all just around the corner. As far as the location it's the very best place I've ever stayed.

If you're looking for quaint and a place with character this is NOT the place. If you like things like Comfort Inn, Travel Lodge, Holiday Inn........that sort of thing then this is the place for you. Plain, simple and clean.

16 Thank Jeffreysbaby