“Walking Ghost Tour”

London Ghost Walking Tour
Ranked #27 of 187 Food & Drink in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Great British Tours offer a great range London walking tours of and private chauffeur driven tours of London and the UK.
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

We went on the walking ghost tour organised by this company on 31st May. Our guide Joe was very good and highly knowledgeable. The tour wasn't too fast paced and was manageable for most walking abilities.

The tour includes a 15 minute Thames Clipper ride from Westminster to Tower Hill which was very pleasant.

It should be noted that this tour is not one of these 'jump out and scare you' types of walk. Rather it is a very informative and highly entertaining walking lecture that makes you want to go away and research further on what you have been told.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Tired feet but so worth the walking. Our two guides were fun and taught us some wonderful history facts about London . Cupcakes and macaroons were good it was a shame that the Fortnum tasting could not complete the tour due to a problem with the tour account! Otherwise I would recommend this as a fun tour.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

A really interesting and enjoyable afternoon with our guide Lisa. She knew a great deal about the subject, had a great personality and gave us a huge amount of chocolate. Thank you very much

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I regret that I am writing this review I tried to contact this company privately multiple times in regards to our tour in April. I reached out once over facebook and, though they replied to my post, they never followed up. I am posting this review because I want others who are considering a private tour to be warned. Please note, this is just in regards to their private tours.

This was my original email:

Hi! I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to follow-up about our tour on Tuesday, April 22nd. We have a couple concerns about the tour related to the published details of the tour and wanted to bring them up with you directly. It is our hope that together we can ameliorate the situation.

First, I want to pass along our thanks to our driver. He was very accommodating and worked well beyond the expected length of ten hours without complaint. He also agreed to drop us off at a different location, a restaurant in Notting Hill, after the tour. This was especially helpful as we arrived at 9:15 pm, instead of 7 pm as we had expected from your email.

Reflecting on the trip, my main concerns surround the type of transportation, the timing, and the content of the tour.

As was mentioned in the description of the tour and confirmed over email, we were expecting a luxury automobile. We were surprised to find a Toyota Yaris, City Car. I understand that from time to time you might need to look for cars beyond your fleet, but this was a significant change and downgrade. Also, we were not able to sit up straight in the back of the car without touching the ceiling, which was, as you can imagine, somewhat uncomfortable for a tour that began at 9 am and ended over 12 hours later.

The timing of the tour was surprising as well. We had expected a ten hour tour, as described on the website, 9 am to 7 pm. Instead, we arrived back in London at 9:15 pm. Also, when we arrived to tour Stonehenge it was already closed. Our guide found a great view from the road, but clearly this was not what we had expected. Some traffic is understandable, but missing one of our three locations was a significant change – and we had pre-paid all entry fees to the three locations.

Finally, we were surprised to find that the tour was not a guided tour as much as a transportation service. Having taken many guided tours throughout the world, I have come to expect a knowledgeable tour guide. Instead, this was more of a car service, driving us to a location, dropping us off, and picking us up when we were done.

At this point, we are back in the United States and wanted to make sure to contact you directly, before posting any reviews online. It is my hope that together we can ameliorate this situation and that I can leave this experience with a positive view of your company. I understand that mistakes and inconsistencies occur. However, as you can imagine, our experience was not consistent with what you would expect for a 300 pound (per person) tour.

I look forward to hearing from you.

thecelebrityplanet, Manager at Best Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2014

Our apologies that you have not had a satisfactory response to your comments about your tour in April. We constantly aim to improve our customer service and on this occasion we acknowledge that we could have done better. We'd be very grateful if you could get in touch direct with ferry@voidtravel.net, with your booking details, so that we can investigate the points you have made. We do apologise that you have not had a good experience on this occasion and we appreciate your taking the time to give us this feedback.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

My husband and I are both interested in Jack the Ripper and were keen to see some of the locations of his famous murders. We could not have asked for a better tour guide than George, who had a wonderful way of enabling us to picture the scene as it was at the time and bring it all to life and knew all there was to know about Jack the Ripper as an ardent enthusiast of the subject himself for years. Highly recommended.

1  Thank crozzygirl