“The noise was unbelievable”
Review of Tavistock Hotel

Tavistock Hotel
Ranked #583 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 September 2008

We stayed at the Tavistock on Saturday 13th September 2008 in a room on the first floor. On returning to the room at about midnight I was horrified to find that the noise coming from a bar down in the basement of the hotel was unbelievable. The base from the music was thumping through the building, absolutely impossible to sleep.I phoned reception and was told it usually went quite about 2 o'clock, this turned out to be untrue. It actually went on till 3 O,CLOCK. Trust me DON'T GO.

Stayed: September 2008

Reviewed 14 September 2008

Stayed at the Tavistock one night after seeing details on here. Beautiful Art Deco hotel, especially downstairs. Had double room at front overlooking Tavistock Square. Room looked to be recently refurbished, average size room and you would pay more for a larger room elsewhere. Secondary glazing keeps out much of traffic noise but would have to be opened in summer as no air conditioning. Given our British summers air conditioning rarely needed! Breakfast was filling but no restaurant in evening, only in hotel's wine bar. Great Greek taverna 100 yds on opposite side of road and Italian and Chinese restaurants nearby on same road. All staff pleasant and helpful. Close to Kings Cross, St Pancras, Euston mainline stations and Russell Square underground station which connects to all parts of London. Bloomsbury lovely area with park on each square and late Regency houses. We felt very safe in this area. Do pop into St Pancras station to see how beautiful this Victorian station is since renovations, also Eurostar leaves from there now to Paris. Great value for money hotel at £87 for a double room with Full English Breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2008

I stayed in the Tavistock during June for the second time for a full 10 days. I cannot believe all the negative reviews about this hotel, I mean, if you want everything to be 5star, then go to a 5star and pay a few hundred pounds per night. The Tavistock ain't perfect, but I love the hotel. All you complainers, for 64 pounds per night, come show me a better hotel concerning such great location alone, which are very important. You are 5 minutes from Russell Square Underground, have friendly cafe's like Tesco's all within 5 minutes walk, the British Museum just around the corner, and for shoppers, Oxford Street (shoppers heaven) only 20 minutes walk. Walk 10 minutes longer and you're in nightlife heaven. I found the check inn staff friendly and there where no problems. The information staff did extra trouble finding places for me after a few phone calls to make sure, all on their cost! The breakfast staff was always friendly and their service excellent. The food was up to standard and I enjoyed it. The bar has got a cozy atmosphere, I love those soft luxurious leather couches. Believe me, I checked the following each day. The rooms are well cleaned and serviced each day, including the en suite bathroom. I had a spotless room everyday. The furniture might not be modern, but nowhere can you find broken stuff or stains or torn pieces on the carpet. I had a very good look.The products on the complimentary tray is of high quality and you get fresh milk every day. The satellite tv channels is of high standard. I had no problems noise. All in all I can honestly say that I had a very pleasant stay at the Tavistock and the hotel is a real bargain. Thanks to the Tavistock and personnel for a great stay, you will for sure see me again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank ctntraveler
Reviewed 26 August 2008

Stayed at Tavistock hotel over the August bank holiday. We had two rooms, both on the same booking but on different floors, which wasn't a problem, but seemed a little strange.

The location is fantastic, 2 minute walk to Russell Sq tube. We found all the tube staff REALLY helpful.

We found no problems with the breakfasts at all, it was buffet cooked or continental, with porridge and cereals too, and there was no restriction on how many times you went up.

The rooms are a little tired though and could do with updating, however, it did us for what we wanted , somewhere to lay our heads after we'd walked London! The rooms were cleaned every day and the staff were very pleasant. Our rooms were on the inside of the quad so we didn't have any street noise.

The hotel is ideally situated for central London and sight seeing, and the price is very reasonable for the location. I think it's important to make clear that this is not a five star hotel, it does what it says on the tin for the price you pay. We paid a lot more for room only at the Holiday Inn round the corner in Bloomsbury last year, and while the room was superior there, we feel we had much more value for money at the Tavistock.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Liz R
Reviewed 21 August 2008

For convenience's sake, I stayed at an Imperial London Hotel again, this time at Tavistock Hotel. I had booked a single with a park view, and that's what I almost got. Single turned out to be a twin on the top floor! Nice view, no noise from the corridor but absolutely no room to move around in the room. I had a big suitcase and I just didn't know where to place it but the other bed. The gap between the beds and the desk was so narrow that I could hardly slide from between. The floor was so creaky on every step, glad I was alone in the room. The room was otherwise tidy, even the bathroom was nice! It would be nice to see just one tap in a british bathroom, though - I hate using the plug and then I have to choose between burning or freezing my hands with the water...
Breakfast was exactly the same as in Imperial Hotel, full English. Once again it was just rice crispies and canned fruit for a coeliac... Scrambled eggs were hideous and milk/juices always warm, but one surely manages with the hotel's brekkie.
The location is great, especially as I wasn't spending too much time at the hotel. For me, it was more like an F1 pit stop on my way to see and do things in London. The tube's around the corner, there are shops along the way and the Brunswick Square is so close with all the restaurants. Hotel staff was great, especially the cleaners and reception girls! On the other hand, I was quite surprised as one of the portiers didn't know Westminster Abbey from Westminster Chapel... One could really see that there are brochures available if the staff doesn't know the city well enough.
Did you know that "Tavis" in Finnish means "common"? One could say that Tavistock Hotel is a common hotel for the common people.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I've stayed here several times and it's a good choice for the area without spending too much money. The rooms aren't luxurious and sometimes the decoration is a bit worn, but most of them are fairly large and they have all the basics, including a bath which is a rarity in this price range (£64 for sole use of a double / twin room). The best rooms are on the upper floors, at the front - they overlook a pleasant green square. Rooms at the back can suffer from noise from ventilators and have a poor view. The cold breakfast is OK but nothing special - I've never been tempted by the fried food. The wine bar does fairly average food, but if you have the time there are better places 10-15 minutes' walk away (nothing in the immediate area).

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2008

i went to London On business so my needs were very simple. i read the reviews posted on the site but i was still a little dissapointed with the room. The room was clean but the furniture was sparse and small. The bed was sooo little and the covers looked a bit tattered, did I mention that the two pillows were flat. and I had a lovely view of a concrete slab roof of the kitchens in the center of the resturant. All that being said it was not really a bad trip most likley because i was pretty tired everyday when I came in. The staff was very very friendly, even the cleaning staff. The full english breakfast was satisfying and of good quality, however it was the same buffet every morning after day 4 it got a little tired. The only other thing that made me unhappy was the lack of Interrnet access in the rooms or rather the lack of AFFORDABLE internet in the rooms clocking in at 4 quid per hour or I would have to treck with my laptop to the lobby whre wifi was available for free. The other pesky issue was a lack of iron in the rooms, or even available at the front desk . if you wanted to press a suit you would have to go to the 1 and only place thay had an iron on the 1st floor in an irnoning room that was locked by eight in the night and opened at 7 am that really sucked. Apart form that tavistock is a real value for money hotel as afterall you ARE in London, and central london at that!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business