“Value for money”

Ranked #591 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Brussels
“Value for money”
Reviewed 12 October 2008

I spent two nights in this hotel with my partner. The hotel has a great location and the room was clean and had a good size. I especially mention the size because we stayed in another (more expensive) hotel in the same area with very small rooms! Only the bed was a little too small for my partner but you can easiliy pull the bed, so this was not a problem. We stayed on the top floor at the end of the hallway and therefore we had no problems with noise whatsoever.
The breakfast was basic. The breakfast staff was helpful and nice, and we got served coffee and tea very quickly. All in all I would say that the Tavistock hotel offers value for money. I would definately stay here again.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Virginia
Reviewed 3 October 2008

Good, sound moderately priced Hotel (for London). Good breakfast included in price. Walking distance to many attractions. Short walk to Underground station. Excellent BUS service to many locations.
Again, good value for price (for London).

• Liked — Good value for price.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RonPaxton
Winnipeg (Winterpeg), Manitoba
Reviewed 1 October 2008

My mom and I stayed here for 8 nights. I agree that the breakfast got a bit tiresome, scrambled eggs, hard baked eggs?, bacon, sausages, beans, canned tomatoes, porridge, cereals, herring (lovely fish smell in the morning) and toast. Coffee was dreadful but tea was good. Friendly staff, always with a good morning.

Rooms were clean and exactly as depicted on the website.

Location was great. Russell Square tube was excellent. Even used the Euston station a couple of times.

Lots of nice restaurants/pubs nearby. Nice lounge, I heard no music at all.

Guys at concierge desk were awesome!

Stayed September 2008
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 28 September 2008

Spent three nights alone in this hotel, and for the price paid I couldn't have asked for nothing else. Great location (two blocks from Russel square tube station and its nearby shops) and a clean room. Towels and sheets were changed everyday and the staff were helpful and nice. The only bad thing was breakfast. If you stay in this hotel don't eat the scrambled eggs! Stick with the fried eggs or the sausage. If you really dislike the food though there is a nice breakfast place around the corner.
Some people in this site complained about the noise from the street, but in my case, I was so exhausted by the end of the day that I really didn't bother about it.
Overall, I think this was a true bargain. The company that owns the place has still some other hotels around Russel Square. I stayed three years ago in the Royal National and in the Imperial , and in my opinion, the Tavistock was as good as those other hotels with the advantage of having lower rates.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
Brighouse, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2008

I recently booked a weekend at this hotel and was unfortunate in getting a room on the first floor.
The noise from the downstairs bar/club was unbelievable. Even with ear plugs I could feel the reverberations coming through the floor. The noise went on until 3 a.m.
When I complained the next morning I was transferred to a new room without question.
The lack of sleep ruined my first day in London and I will not be staying at the Tavistock again.

• Liked — close to museums
  • Disliked — noise from bar/club which did not stop until 3 a.m.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

New Jersey, US
Reviewed 26 September 2008

We chose the Tavistock because we wanted an inexpensive hotel that could accommodate a family of 5 in one room. The location was excellent, close to the Tube and several bus lines. The lobby was charming, and the people were friendly. The room was large, but that was its only real recommendation. The beds were unbelievably hard, and the cot provided for the fifth bed was even harder. The bathroom had two sinks, but one had no hot water. We had to get engineering up to fix one of the lights. The English breakfast was unimpressive - buffet style, overcooked eggs, canned tomatoes, runny beans - and was the same every single day (we were there for a week). Service at breakfast was minimal; it was hard to flag someone down to get a refill of coffee or tea, or sometimes even to get the first cup. The concierge desk knew nothing helpful (except for Gavin, who knew quite a bit and was very nice about it). One of the other desk staff, when I asked about afternoon tea at Fortnum and Mason, did not know what I meant by "afternoon tea" and had never heard of the store. Altogether a disappointing experience.

• Liked — room size
  • Disliked — beds
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2008

I recently stayed at this hotel for one night during the week whilst on a training course in London. I am quite fussy where I stay and checked out the reviews of this hotel on tripadvisor before booking. I was a little apprehensive considering the price of a single of only £64 B&B in the middle of London.

There is an art deco design to the entrance lobby of the hotel, I am not too sure if this is the original fit out though, nevertheless as I appreciate this style it was quite a nice surprise and did look good. However, it was a shame that they did not retain / continue this design throughout the rooms. Saying that though the rooms were extremely clean and tidy, even the sanitary ware and shower curtain didn’t have any evidence of mould although a little basic!!

The room overlooked Tavistock Park but was on the corner of two busy roads, this was a little noisy even with the secondary glazing closed. Nothing that a set of earplugs wouldn’t block out.

The full English breakfast looked ok but I just went for the cereal which was fine.

The hotel is within walking distance from Kings Cross, St Pancras and Euston railway stations. I also easily walked to Oxford Street in 15 minutes. The area around the hotel is quite nice with a number of little restaurants and bars down cobbled streets.

I have already booked in here on my next business trip to London and would consider it if I was spending any more time in London.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business